PIT - FSN Pittsburgh

Radio:

FLA - 560 WQAM, 1140 WQBA (Spanish). Marlins radio network

PIT - 1020 KDKA

Internet

MLB.TV

Gameday Audio

Notes

- Pirates' starter Josh Fogg is pitching on three days rest.

- Marlins' starter Dontrelle Willis is pitching on five days rest.

- Marlins' prospect Josh Willingham makes his majo league debut.

:marlins

Posted on Tue, Jul. 06, 2004

TONIGHT: PIRATES AT MARLINS

? When: 7:05, Pro Player Stadium.

? TV: FSN.

? Radio: WQAM (560), WQBA (1140, Spanish), WFFG (1300, Keys).

? Starting pitchers: Pirates -- RHP Josh Fogg (6-6, 6.35 ERA) at Marlins -- LHP Dontrelle Willis (6-5, 4.24).

? Scouting report: Willis has failed to make it to the sixth inning in his past three starts. . . . He lost both of his starts against Pittsburgh last season but did not pitch poorly in either one, allowing five earned runs in a combined 11 2/3 innings. . . . Among Pirates players, catcher Jason Kendall (4 for 6) has given Willis the most trouble. . . . Fogg will be pitching on three days' rest.

? Coming up: Wednesday: Pirates -- LHP Oliver Perez (4-4, 3.22 ERA) at Marlins -- RHP Carl Pavano (9-3, 2.92).

From The Miami Herald

Marlins board D-Train vs. Bucs

07/06/2004  1:44 AM ETBy Joe Frisaro / MLB.com

Unsettled mechanics, combined with the return of Josh Beckett to the rotation, caused the Marlins to delay Dontrelle Willis' start by two days.

Willis takes the mound Tuesday for the first time in a week, getting the nod Tuesday night against the Pirates at Pro Player Stadium.

In his last three starts, Willis is 0-2 with a 9.69 ERA. In his last 13 innings, the lefty has allowed 17 runs (14 earned). Part of the problem has been a failure to find one consistent delivery. With his high leg kick, Willis tends to struggle finding a consistent arm slot.

The few extra days allowed Willis to refine his delivery in bullpen sessions.

Since starting the season 3-0, Willis is 3-5 with a 5.38 ERA.

After falling, 3-1, to the Pirates on Monday, the Marlins are 1-4 on their homestand, and they are three games behind the Phillies for the first time this season.

Pitching matchup

PIT: RHP Josh Fogg

3-5, 5.10 ERA in 2004

First appearance vs. FLA in 2004

2-2, 3.00 ERA lifetime vs. FLA

FLA: LHP Dontrelle Willis

6-5, 4.24 ERA in 2004

First appearance vs. PIT in 2004

0-2, 3.86 ERA lifetime vs. PIT

Players to watch

Juan Pierre is 6-for-13 with two doubles off Fogg. In the first inning on Monday, Pierre ended a string of 17 straight games without a stolen base when he swiped third. ... Alex Gonzalez went 2-for-4 with an RBI double on Monday.

Quotable

"Because I had an extra day off, I threw extra bullpens, so it evened it out. I feel the same. I understand. I just want to pitch. I just want to play." -- Willis on pitching with two extra days of rest.

Quick hits

Catcher Mike Redmond was removed from Monday's game in the seventh inning because of stiffness in his lower back. His status is day-to-day. Matt Treanor caught the rest of the game. ... Josh Willingham will be recalled from Double-A Carolina on Tuesday. ... Jason Kendall is 4-for-6 with a double off Willis. ... Internet voting for the 32nd and final All-Star player continues on MLB.com until Wednesday. Pierre is a candidate for the Final Vote. ... Willis walked as a pinch-hitter in the fifth inning on Monday. The D-Train is 2-for-4 as a pinch-hitter. ... The Marlins matched their franchise mark by going hitless in their last 28 at-bats with runners in scoring position. The only other time that happened was Aug. 30-Sept. 4, 1999.

On deck

Wednesday: Pittsburgh at Marlins, 7:05 p.m. ET

Thursday: off

Friday: Mets at Marlins, 7:35 p.m. ET

Saturday: Mets at Marlins, 6:05 p.m. ET

Sunday: Mets at Marlins, 3:05 p.m. ET This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.

Courtesy of MLB.com

'The Marlins and Pirates meet for the second of six meetins this season and for the 101st time overall tonight. The Fish have a 45-55 all-time record against the Bucsm including 2-4 record last year. The Marlins have won two of the last three over the Pirates after dropping four straight and six of seven, from September 6, 2002 - September 2, 2003. The Marlins are 27-21 at home against the Pirates, including a 7-2 record against them in their last nine meetings at Pro Player Stadium, dating nack to June 6, 2001.'

CF Juan Pierre

1B Hee-Seop Choi

RF Miguel Cabrera

3B Mike Lowell

LF Josh Willingham

2B Luis Castillo

SS Alex Gonzalez

CA Mike Redmond

PI Dontrelle Willis

I ABSOLUTLY LOVE THIS LINEUP! THANK YOU JACK! I'M SORRY FOR QUESTIONING YOUR ABILITIES! THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU!