Alston to Raptors

nc marlin

Rafer Alston, whose transformation from a street-ball legend to a playoff point guard with Miami proved one of the season's more uplifting stories, has reached a verbal agreement with the Toronto Raptors on a six-year deal believed to be worth $29 million, league sources told ESPN.com's Marc Stein.

After stints with Milwaukee and Toronto, Alston broke through with the Heat, averaging 10.2 points and nearly five assists per game while shootinng a healthy 37.1 percent from 3-point range.

Miami had hoped to re-sign the guard widely known as Skip To My Lou for his role in the And1 Mix Tape series, but the Heat was reportedly hoping to split its $5 million mid-level exception between Alston and a power player such as Boston's Mark Blount.

When new Toronto general manager Rob Babcock came with a strong offer to lure him back to Canada, Alston agreed to become Babcock's first free-agent signing.

c/o ESPN.com

Would have liked to see him back, but no way would I give him that contract. Now we are going to have to get lucky again and find a back-up PG.

444908[/snapback]

for that much money,he can take his ass somewhere else cuz he aint worth even 3.5. he is just another story of a player who rejuvinates his career to then leave and be a bust for the rest of his career. great year skip. but u my freind are not worth that.

What an a**hole. I remember whenever he was interviewed he talked about how much he loved it here and how the Heat were the only team to give him a chance and he wanted to stay. He said the Raptors and Bucks loss was Miami's gain.

Money talks, huh Skip?

I dont know what the raptors are thinking....and i dont blame skip for taking off....i mean, thats a lot of bank...money he will prob never see again. That said, we made a strong attempt to sign him and he just got a better offer elsewhere

this really hurts us i think, especially since blount as verbally agreed to a contract as well.....i just wanted skip and blount but we wont get either :(

Man, I dont know what is left out there in terms of PG....but there aren't many big men left......this may be a disapointing free agent year for the heat

Skip i dont blame you for taking the money...i just hope that u get the Heat Jinx..player that werent good that have come to the heat get good and then leave for more money never have good seasons after..remember ike austin,yea he sucked after leaving the heat for more money...brake a leg buddy..

Not only is he making 29 million, but he also has a GUARANTEED contract for the next 6 years. He said it many times in interviews that job security was important because every year he has had to worry about what he would be doing the next year. I don't blame him for taking it, that's a hell of a lot of money and you'd have to be an absolute moron to turn it down.

One question, is that 29 million dollars he will be making subject to Canadian taxes and whatnot?

Guest marlins02

Hmm I'll believe it when I see it... If this is true then there are alot of Pudge's in the world.

445121[/snapback]

theres a difference. Pudge was already an all-star and a hall of famer with lots of money and went out and said he wanted a certain number and didnt want to come down from that # no matter what the situation is.

alston just became a FA after finally proving that he was more than just a street baller and they just threw that money at him. miami cant even come close to thta offer and wouldnt even if they could. considering how he's worked so hard to become a legit player in this league and get financial security and a secure job (6 years), i dont see how he can turn down that offer.

To blame Rafer here is ludicrous. If this is true, he had to take it. 6 years and 29 million? Do you know what the Heat were originally hoping to get him to sign for? At first, they were hoping to get him to sign for their lower exception-that would have been a two year contract for 3.2 million. Then, after the playoffs, they knew that wouldnt cut it, so they were hoping hed take half of the higher exception, which probably wouldve been a 3 year deal worth about 7.5 million.

I know I'm all late but I just woke up and read about this

holy s***

this offseason is going downhill fast. skip was such a valuable backup pg and was such a huge part to this team. blount is now out of the question. fonyle or however the hell you spell it is locked to the warriors. jameer nelson is gone.

this blows ass. there's not much left and we have no backup at all.

the only bright spot so far has been Dorrel Wright but even he is still a question mark.

:(

Can you blame the guy? 30 million, he's never going to get another chance to make close to that. I'm just happy we didn't give him a deal like that.

444937[/snapback]

it makes the world go around..... but damn im miss em.....

Dorrel Wright is a + to the team and now the negtive side has come out agasnt the heat.....

Oh well we still have wade...

im not stressin it. u pay the guy big bucks he comes back and doesnt play as hard as he did when u had him at first. there are plenty of PG out there that can be signed for a lot less. troy hudson for one is still out there, bob sura,and others that are as good as rafer. u ppl are making to big of a deal. and id rather have wright than nelson period.

The guy is not gone yet lets see if the heat make a move who knows maybe they will. I hate league sources are they ever correct? I highly doubt it

445333[/snapback]

the guy is gone. no speculation. and frankly i dont want him back that means the heat have to top that offer and i would not pay his asss that much

I think this team will miss Skip, last year he changed the whole game when he came in, and a lot of times he was on the court to finish out games. But it was just too much money.

I wish now we would have done the deal the Magic did and give up a future first and have both Nelson and Wright. This summer the deals are crazy, Adonal Foyle got 40mil over 5 years. So I doubt we can add any quality player, maybe Damon Jones for back-up PG? I hope Riley can pull off some magic and somehow get Blount with the MLE.

Oh well we still have wade...

445323[/snapback]

:D

The guy is not gone yet lets see if the heat make a move who knows maybe they will. I hate league sources are they ever correct? I highly doubt it

445333[/snapback]

the guy is gone. no speculation. and frankly i dont want him back that means the heat have to top that offer and i would not pay his asss that much

445338[/snapback]

SPECULATION! Unless it's OFFICIAL it's still SPECULATION!