Carl Pavano

Fish2Repeat

Should CP go on the block, what kind of value would he command. Would it be more than Garcia? Another question I pose is would the management be hesitant to trade away players because they think it would scare away patrons who would view a normal baseball move as a firesale.

Pavano has been our most consistent starter.....he is a key part of this team if we are to make a playoff run.

So unless we become sellers, no way Pavano should be considered as tradebait. Also, if we have a good chance of signing Carl for next year, then we should keep him as well. Starting pitching will be the backbone of this team for the next several years, so we need to do all we can to keep our rotation intact.

We should trade him before he gets a splinter while swinging the bat and goes on the 60-day DL...

445160[/snapback]

Normally I would laugh at this, but the way things are going I wouldn't doubt something like this happens. "Josh beckett placed on 15 day dl after having an alergic reaction to a bee sting while trimming his rose garden." :banghead

Pavano will want at least $28MM for 4 years. Freddy Garcia received $27MM for 3 years.

If you want to trade Penny you better sign Pavano first otherwise we may be down two pitchers when the 2005 season opens.

Pavano for Contraras and Dioner Navarro? If offered it, I'd do it.

Pavano will want at least $28MM for 4 years. Freddy Garcia received $27MM for 3 years.

If you want to trade Penny you better sign Pavano first otherwise we may be down two pitchers when the 2005 season opens.

Pavano for Contraras and Dioner Navarro? If offered it, I'd do it.

445271[/snapback]

I believe Penny has better pure stuff than Pavano, but if Penny and Glass Beckett had half the brain Pavano has, they would be unhittable. Penny and Beckett really piss me off... :thumbdown

With that said, I have a feeling Pavano will be back. He is very chummy with the Front Office... They love him, and he loves them...

While fans won't sit well with the idea, business-wise its a smart move. Buy low, sell high. I'd hate to see him go, but if they ship him to the Yankees for Contreras and big prospects I'd be ok with it.

445295[/snapback]

I concurr... And I wouldn't feel bad for Pavs... He would be on the biggest stage in the world, and have yet another shot at a title...

In the end we have to be more a fan of the Florida Marlins than the 2004 Florida Marlins. Some tough decisions are to be made this month but I trust Admin Bienfest to gamble in the right direction. He showed us one year he pulled back and traded Dempster and Floyd and that turned our very niceley. Last year he gambled and traded prospects for Conine and Urbine and none of us complained about the results.

So in Admin I trust!

I don't really "trust" management blindly. 99.999999999% of the moves they make are predicated by finances, and the fact that Loria is "poor" as far as owners go doesn't help matters much. If either Pavano or Penny (or who the hell knows, maybe both) are traded before the deadline, there will be very few scenarios where it will be anything but an economic decision.

Will we try to make the best deal available, sure, but who the hell wouldn't try to help themselves while saving millions of dollars?

I believe Penny has better pure stuff than Pavano, but if Penny and Glass Beckett had half the brain Pavano has, they would be unhittable.

You have to remmember Pavano wasn't really in this same form unil late last year. He is 27 I think, and has learned from his mistakes. When Beckett and Penny hit that age I have no doubt they will begin to mature as well and start pitching intelligently.

I doubt the FO is thinking along these lines...but I would try to lock up Pavano in a multi-year contract now, so we know before the trading deadline whether or not we will be able to retain him next year. Given the opportunity, I would like to keep him for another 3 or 4 years.

I believe Penny has better pure stuff than Pavano, but if Penny and Glass Beckett had half the brain Pavano has, they would be unhittable.

You have to remmember Pavano wasn't really in this same form unil late last year. He is 27 I think, and has learned from his mistakes. When Beckett and Penny hit that age I have no doubt they will begin to mature as well and start pitching intelligently.

445384[/snapback]

I agree that Pavano just recently matured. I don't share the same confidence you do that Beckett and Penny will follow in similar fashion.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.