Marlins news and notes

Ramp

Manager Jack McKeon has reshuffled the lineup on several occasions with the hope of getting guys going. He's doing the same with the rotation.

They'll open the second half with a reshuffled set of starters. When the Marlins return from the All-Star break, they'll send A.J. Burnett to the mound for the first of three in Pittsburgh on Friday. Carl Pavano and Brad Penny will start the Saturday and Sunday games, respectively.

Left-hander Dontrelle Willis is scheduled to make his first post-All-Star game start July 19 against the Mets at Shea Stadium. The Marlins remain unsure who will fill in at the No. 5 spot. Josh Beckett (skin tear) is not eligible to come off the disabled list until July 21.

Among those pitchers already here, Darren Oliver is most likely to join the rotation until Beckett is ready. The Marlins may opt to recall Justin Wayne, who is 0-0 with a 3.93 ERA in four starts for Triple-A Albuquerque.

Double-A Carolina left-hander Bill Murphy (6-3, 3.77) isn't likely to receive much consideration. The Marlins would like to see him pound the strike zone a little more.

If the Marlins settle on Oliver, they'll give thought to promoting reliever Randy Messenger, who is 6-1 with a 3.16 ERA, 18 walks and 56 strikeouts in 422/3 innings for the Mudcats. Though Messenger has a major league ready fastball, his complementary stuff still needs work.

Despite a 5.58 ERA for the Mudcats, right-hander Trevor Hutchinson could make a bid for a middle relief tryout with a few more solid outings.

Hutchinson already is on the 40-man roster, but Murphy -- acquired from the Athletics in the Mark Redman deal -- and Messenger are not. The Marlins have a spot available after outrighting pitcher Aaron Small to Albuquerque earlier this week.

Through Friday, the Marlins ranked eighth in the National League with a 4.08 ERA and had logged back-to-back victories once since May 29.

BACK IN THE MIX

The Marlins could use that open 40-man roster spot for Joe Dillon, who is trying his hand in the outfield again after the Marlins aborted the initial experiment.

A natural second baseman, Dillon made his 10th outfield start Saturday. He took a .362 average with 22 homers, 55 RBI and a 1.246 on-base slugging percentage into the game.

According to one National League talent evaluator, Dillon "has looked better. He's capable of making the routine play and hitting the cutoff man."

SHOT AT SETUP

It may not be long before McKeon gives Billy Koch his first crack at delivering an eighth-inning lead to closer Armando Benitez. Friday, Josias Manzanillo could not hold a one-run edge and the Mets came back for a 6-3 win.

"We've just been going with the hot hand," McKeon said. "[Manzanillo] has been doing a good job in that role. They're going to slip once in a while. We've been programming [Koch] for that role, getting the rust off him."

After allowing at least one run in five of his first six appearances, Koch has tossed four straight scoreless outings. In 12 innings, he has walked 11 and struck out 14.

"If we go into the second half and he can be the setup guy like we want, that would be a tremendous boost for us," McKeon said. "That was the reason we were trying to get him in as many games as we could, let him find himself again. You hope with some of the work we got him he'll be able to do the job."

"If the Marlins settle on Oliver, they'll give thought to promoting reliever Randy Messenger, who is 6-1 with a 3.16 ERA, 18 walks and 56 strikeouts in 422/3 innings for the Mudcats. Though Messenger has a major league ready fastball, his complementary stuff still needs work."

Wow I've read this somewhere...hmmm :plain hey shef what about you have you seen this somewhere?

"If the Marlins settle on Oliver, they'll give thought to promoting reliever Randy Messenger, who is 6-1 with a 3.16 ERA, 18 walks and 56 strikeouts in 422/3 innings for the Mudcats. Though Messenger has a major league ready fastball, his complementary stuff still needs work."

Wow I've read this somewhere...hmmm :plain hey shef what about you have you seen this somewhere?

453425[/snapback]

mmmm they also mentioned murphy,hutch,wayne and u neglected to include them in ur arguement. ur info is nothing special. i could name every minor league pitcher in our system and hope he comes up somewhere in the future. ur no insider your a phony.

Wow I've read this somewhere...hmmm? :plain hey shef what about you have you seen this somewhere?

453425[/snapback]

mmmm they also mentioned murphy,hutch,wayne and u neglected to include them in ur arguement. ur info is nothing special. i could name every minor league pitcher in our system and hope he comes up somewhere in the future. ur no insider your a phony.

453429[/snapback]

I'm hurt really, o by the way have you looked up all those time I've been wrong yet...little man :lol

Wow I've read this somewhere...hmmm? :plain hey shef what about you have you seen this somewhere?

453425[/snapback]

453429[/snapback]

I'm hurt really, o by the way have you looked up all those time I've been wrong yet...little man :lol

453474[/snapback]

to many to look up, young one.

453425[/snapback]

453429[/snapback]

453474[/snapback]

453483[/snapback]

Stop hating on Ed. When is there ever a correct rumor. Jason Stark said it very clearly earlier that the rumors are more fun then the trade. Rumors are rumors, leave it at that and stop hating on Ed.

453425[/snapback]

453429[/snapback]

453474[/snapback]

453483[/snapback]

All hot air and NO action. O by the way what's the hold up with the deal for Kendall? Mr.insider

453425[/snapback]

453429[/snapback]

453474[/snapback]

453483[/snapback]

All hot air and NO action. O by the way what's the hold up with the deal for Kendall? Mr.insider

453499[/snapback]

why dont you tell us ed?????? :shifty

453425[/snapback]

453429[/snapback]

453474[/snapback]

453483[/snapback]

453499[/snapback]

453519[/snapback]

exactly why dont u tell us? or are u tryin to steal some info?

453425[/snapback]

453429[/snapback]

453474[/snapback]

453483[/snapback]

453499[/snapback]

453519[/snapback]

Fish, All I know is they look into in Dec. during the winter meetings, but back then it was too much money. Pittsburgh wasn't moving on its position as far as assuming part of Kendall contract. I would think nothings change...but you never know. Hey maybe you could e-mail Shef. The guy really sure its Kendall that the Marlins are trying to acquire, because he reads alot. :lol