Is Jacque Jones a trade possibility?

Marlins2003

From Rotoworld -

"The Twins have unveiled a plan to squeeze seven hitters into five available lineup spots.

Torii Hunter, Jacque Jones, Lew Ford and Shannon Stewart, Justin Morneau, Doug Mientkiewicz and Matthew LeCroy will have to split up the outfield, first base, and DH duties, meaning at least two of them will be on the bench each day. Jones has already stated his displeasure about not playing every day. Manager Ron Gardenhire hinted that a trade could be on the way to remedy this issue. Hopefully the Twins can get rid of some of this excess to get middle infield or rotation "

---------

One of my very first posts here (what seems like a hundred years ago) was about Jacque Jones. It's no secret he's been unhappy in Minneapolis this season and would welcome a trade. He bats left, and plays right field with 16 hrs this season (interestingly more on the road than in the Twins homer dome). While his average has suffered this season after his ill-advised attempt to fulfill the Twins need for a leadoff hitter, he's a guy I would certainly look long and hard at, especially since it would give the Fish the chance to keep JP in center and move Miggy back to LF.

The Marlins have had their eye on Jones for some time. He has been rumored in the past and I think that this would be a very good deal. I dont think the Twins would want too much for him, considering he is going to be a FA after this season, I believe.

You could trade for him and put him in LF or RF and use Conine as a 4th OFer/backup 1B. That would give us a lot of depth on the bench with Cordero coming back and Easely already there.

The Marlins have had their eye on Jones for some time. He has been rumored in the past and I think that this would be a very good deal. I dont think the Twins would want too much for him, considering he is going to be a FA after this season, I believe.

You could trade for him and put him in LF or RF and use Conine as a 4th OFer/backup 1B. That would give us a lot of depth on the bench with Cordero coming back and Easely already there.

473055[/snapback]

Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I believe he is will be a free agent AFTER the 2005 season.

The Marlins have had their eye on Jones for some time.? He has been rumored in the past and I think that this would be a very good deal.? I dont think the Twins would want too much for him, considering he is going to be a FA after this season, I believe.?

You could trade for him and put him in LF or RF and use Conine as a 4th OFer/backup 1B.? That would give us a lot of depth on the bench with Cordero coming back and Easely already there.

473055[/snapback]

Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I believe he is will be a free agent AFTER the 2005 season.

473058[/snapback]

You could be right, I am not sure. If that is the case, the asking price wouldnt be as low as I thought.

Still, either way, he would be a pretty good fit. He also runs pretty well.

I like the idea, but I think it would come at the cost of Murphy or another highly rated pitching prospect because I doubt that the Twins would want another OF/1B. Would it be worth it especially with the chance to lose Penny/Pavano next season?

473067[/snapback]

You bring up a good point but the object is to win now.Last year the Fish traded away A.Gon who will be a very good 1b in Majors.I'll take him over Choi right now at 1b.

well I guess he would be a platoon player because over the past 3 years he is a .231 hitter vs lefties

over the past 3 years vs righties he is a .313 hitter but he is only hitting .248 this year, not sure what his problem is

but he could be a nice player to add to this team

Guest FishFanInPA

Why not offer Penny to the Twins....We wont sign him and we could simply plug Wayne into his spot...Penny's inconsistency is killing me. He might be attractive to others though.

Why not offer Penny to the Twins....We wont sign him and we could simply plug Wayne into his spot...Penny's inconsistency is killing me. He might be attractive to others though.

473085[/snapback]

didnt penny only allow 2 runs yesterday and has an era approching the high 2's? maybe ive been under a rock. :plain

473085[/snapback]

I'd like to get more than just Jones for Penny. As inconsistent as he's been, he's ace material for a lot of teams (unlike Pavano) so his trade value in my eyes is on the level of a Teixeira type player...no way do we give him up for a rent-a-player like Jones...

isnt Jones arby eligible though?

473100[/snapback]

What does that matter?

We're talking about this season. 2005 is a million years from now.

And to a previous post, yes, I think the Marlins could get alot more for Penny than just Jacque Jones. Penny has a chance to the ace of a staff somewhere else, especially if they can afford him in upcoming years.

What's with everyone wanting to trade Penny? ..especially when Beckett has had injury problems and DTrain has been inconsistent.

473106[/snapback]

Baseball economics forcing us to realize that it is 95% likely that it will come down to Penny or Pavano in the offseason, and while it seems that Pavano has finally put it all together, Penny is still too inconsistent to say that he has it figured out, plus his velocity has been coming down big-time in his past few starts.

Couple that with the fact that Kris Benson is the best pitcher available right now (and it looks like he's going to get a king's ransom) and it really is damn tempting to dangle Penny to teams like the Rangers and Angels who need pitching, can afford to keep it and have the prospects to deal. I don't want to deal Penny, but if we have to move him, we will never get more for him than we would right now.

isnt Jones arby eligible though?

473100[/snapback]

What does that matter?

We're talking about this season. 2005 is a million years from now.

And to a previous post, yes, I think the Marlins could get alot more for Penny than just Jacque Jones. Penny has a chance to the ace of a staff somewhere else, especially if they can afford him in upcoming years.

473104[/snapback]

Well if he was arbitration eligible it would matter alot. And since we are playing for this year, I would much rather have Penny over the .250avg of Jacque Jones, thank you very much. Now if it we were talking Teixeira, I would be all for it.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.