Buying vs. Leasing...

Flag Man

I don't envy Beinfest and Loria. Thank God they don't ask me for my opinion. Or my money.

It's maybe like buying a car. Is it best to Buy (and build equity) or Lease (and have short-term lower payments and nothing to show at Lease end?)

We need something that fits in our garage, and fits in our budget.

We need good value and dependability (particularly if we get a lousy Warranty.)

And something that instinctively feels good.

And, of course, it's more difficult to get a good Lease deal on a used product.

So... I look at age, batting averages, HR's, OBP, Slugging, stolen bases, good hygiene... and cost.

Finley, Walker, Bautista, Wilkerson (?), Greg Zaun (catcher hitting .300).

All criteria having failed me (though still pursuing "good hygiene"),

my garage remains unattended. But, I have confidence in the remodeling of the Marlins' garage.

Already posted... :banghead

478018[/snapback]

Huh? What was "already posted?"

478019[/snapback]

Jonnyloins, You didn't answer what was "already posted?"

I didn't pretend to offer new "news." I was just offering my current perspective thinking it might help others (like me) to focus on, and cope with, what is an immediate, and difficult challenge.

And I suggest you not use your knocking-head smiley so casually.

It demeans you.

Since posting this I changed my name to Chin High, which is where I intend to send it for irresponsible posters trying to be cute.

Unlike Teresa Heinz Kerry, I am not yet prepared to say "Shove It."

To make matters worse, from today's Sun-Sentinel

POSSIBLE TRADE SNAG

In Jason Stokes and Bill Murphy, the Marlins might have the prospects to convince Arizona to part with center fielder Steve Finley. However, they might not have the cash to make the deal happen.

Finley, a prospective free agent who can reject any trade, is said to be leaning toward San Diego, where he has a home. However, talks between the Padres and Diamondbacks have moved slowly.

Monday, there were indications Finley's interest in the Marlins may be waning.

"He'll be looking for a team's commitment to the future," said a source close to Finley. "If a team is just going to give up prospects to rent him for two months, it's unlikely he'll go there. If that's the way Florida is thinking, that would push them down the list."

Finley, the source said, would prefer to play for a team at least open to the possibility of re-signing him this winter. The Marlins don't fit that description, while the Giants, Dodgers and Phillies likely do.

Arizona has told Finley it hopes to have a deal in place by Thursday.

Meanwhile, the Marlins and Rockies continued discussions about outfielder Admin Walker, but the sides were having significant trouble bridging the financial and talent gaps.

"It's not dead, but I don't think they'll get anything done," said a source familiar with the talks.

and Berardino adds:There were indications the Marlins were even working on a four-way trade, possibly including the Padres, that would net them the offensive upgrade they seek.

I'm not enthralled about the prospect of getting Finley. I get the feeling Finley is playing some sort of game. Who is he to make demands? I want a player who says - "I'll play anywhere, do anything, I just want to help the team win." I also don't like the idea that he will quickly re-sign with AZ in the off-season. I don't want to give up Stokes and Murphy for a two month malcontent.

I'd much rather have Admin Walker. With a home in WPB, I think the likelihood of him sticking around for a couple of years is far greater. I'd love to see his rocket arm in right (moving Cabs back to left) and his solid lefty bat in the middle of the lineup. We would have a nice left-right-left-right combination.

BTW - Did anyone see the beautiful catch Walker made last night? He looked pretty agile and in good health.

:thumbup

actually it seems PBMarlin already posted it, but it's buried in another thread.

This is a big issue... I'm not sure the Marlins were looking to keep ANY of these potential targets after the season's over.

(The exception for me though is Carlos Beltran, who if he was really available I think the front office would look seriously at signing him to a longer deal.)

actually it seems PBMarlin already posted it, but it's buried in another thread.

This is a big issue... I'm not sure the Marlins were looking to keep ANY of these potential targets after the season's over.

(The exception for me though is Carlos Beltran, who if he was really available I think the front office would look seriously at signing him to a longer deal.)

478105[/snapback]

My problem with Walker is that we would have to keep him around next year because he has a year left on his contract. That would really hinder our chances to resign Benitez and Pavano. We'd be putting a lot of money into an aging player who has had a very long history of injury problems.

I have a hard time believing that Finley quote is true, because all along it was indicated that Finley would be ok with being traded to the east because Arizona would just resign him at the end of the season, and the only team that would possibly try to resign Finley was the Padres and that's why Arizona didn't want to deal him to San Diego. So that just doesn't make since.

Hope I don't screw up this simple Buy vs. Lease thread... But, I think we should kiss away dreams of another World Series (appearance.) I ask Beinfest/Loria only to keep a good competitive team on the field. We have potential for Miracles within the existing team. That would be fun to see happen.

But, don't sell all the assets (farm) for a short-lived quick fix.

Catcher. Catcher. Catcher.

And keep the team fun to watch.

Hope I don't screw up this simple Buy vs. Lease thread...? But, I think we should kiss away dreams of another World Series (appearance.)? I ask Beinfest/Loria only to keep a good competitive team on the field.? We have potential for Miracles within the existing team.? That would be fun to see happen.

But, don't sell all the assets (farm) for a short-lived quick fix.

Catcher.? Catcher.? Catcher.

And keep the team fun to watch.

478117[/snapback]

I would be ok with the proposed deal Finley for Stokes and Murphy, because I think our best talent is in the lower levels of the farm system.

If I were to make a list of our top prospects in our farm system, and order them from the players I'd least like to give up to the ones I wouldn't mind giving up it would look like this.

1. Jeremy Hermida-OF-Jupiter- the kid has got unlimited potential and plays a position that will be a need for us in the coming years.

2. Scott Olsen-RHP-Jupiter- This guy is a strike out machine, and has the potential to be a top of the rotation pitcher.

3. Yorman Bazardo-RHP-Jupiter- A lot of people think he'll be a closer in the future. He's been a starter in Jupiter this year and has been their best pitcher posting an ERA of 2.70.

4. Josh Willingham-C-Florida- Well we all know this guy, he's going to be one hell of a hitter in this league and I think in time can make himself into a very serviceable catcher.

5. Robert Andino-SS-Jupiter- He's always had the defensive skills, probably one of the top 5 defensive shortstop prospects. This year he's learned the art of hitting, after doing well in Greensboro he got the promotion up to Jupiter and is currently hitting over .400.

6. Eric Reed-CF-Carolina- Although currently injured he was having a breakout year. Probably the heir apparent to Juan Pierre. He needs to improve the K/BB ratio though if he's going to be successful in the big leagues. His defense is stellar in CF.

7. Bill Murphy-P-Carolina- After a great start in Carolina, Murphy has taken a step backwords lately. His ERA has gone up more than a run in the past month and a half and now it has balooned over 4. His strikeout numbers are impressive, but he walks too many people and his WHIP is rather unimpressive.

8. Josh Wilson-SS-Albuquerque- Another guy having a breakout year. Absolutely tore up AA hitting well over .300, and has continued to hit well in AAA. He's got pretty good power and has hit for good average this year.

9. Jason Stokes-1B-Carolina- He has struggled again with a wrist injury again this year which is worrisome. He has put up ok power #'s this year, but his K/BB ratio is ridiculous. He's got to cut down on the K's if he's ever going to make it to the big leagues. His average has stayed pretty much around .265-.275 all season. He is not good defensively. Most importantly he's blocked in by Choi.

The way I look at it is I'd hate to see any of the top 3 traded. We'd have to be getting something great back, a player that will help us in the future. 4-6 I'd be reluctant to give up, it would have to be for someone who would drastically improve this team. 7-9 I'd be a little more willing to use for a half-year rental.

I don't envy Beinfest and Loria. Thank God they don't ask me for my opinion. Or my money.

It's maybe like buying a car. Is it best to Buy (and build equity) or Lease (and have short-term lower payments and nothing to show at Lease end?)

So... I look at age, batting averages, HR's, OBP, Slugging, stolen bases, good hygiene... and cost.

my garage remains unattended. But, I have confidence in the remodeling of the Marlins' garage.

478010[/snapback]

dude,how long did u spent think about this....get a job

478010[/snapback]

478146[/snapback]

insightful as always

:plain

I don't envy Beinfest and Loria.? Thank God they don't ask me for my opinion.? Or my money.

It's maybe like buying a car.? Is it best to Buy (and build equity) or Lease (and have short-term lower payments and nothing to show at Lease end?)

my garage remains unattended.? But, I have confidence in the remodeling of the Marlins' garage.

478010[/snapback]

478146[/snapback]

:whistle Do you know who BenchWarmer is? Do you know how old he is or where he lives? Until you find out, you shouldn't make comments like that to him. After you find out, apologize to him and go sit in the corner.

478146[/snapback]

Probably not as long as you spent think he did, but either way I spent think it's better than a lot of threads I've seen lately. I think I won't spent think about this any longer.

I thought only, on a quiet morning, to "soften" a fragmenting debate on the eve of an FO announcement that might disappoint some. Tried a little simple twist. Apparently, it was not received in the manner it was intended.

So, I'm back on the Bench again.

I thank the several who answered with solid information.

I could mention... Don Zimmer... getting out-of-place and clobbered,

but half here-in probably wouldn't know...

See you guys. I'll keep reading, selectively.

But, I have just changed my name to CHIN HIGH because that's where I intend to throw it against the degenerate children posting herein. The good news is that I will be brief.

478146[/snapback]

You degenerate, un-educated little dork. If English is your Second Languge, learn it quickly or go back where you came from.

If English is your First Language then shame on you and your family.

You will never "get a job." You can't even contribute to this simple forum. And you never have.

You are a Zero, minus.

This from CHIN HIGH and I'm watching for you.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.