Trade deadline

I thought it was a good idea to start this thread so we can post all trade rumors and all trade deadline related business here.

I'll start it off by saying that walker is too injury prone, finley doesnt want to play here, i dont think beltran is going to be traded, and Dunn would be awesome but very unlikely for us to acquire. We need pen help.

We Don't :banghead Need :banghead A :banghead Bat :banghead !

479804[/snapback]

I think our first priority should be bullpen help, but lets not kid anyone, we defintely need a bat, we cannot rely totally on cabrera playing like he has the last few games. We need someone else that can be not just solid, but that opposing pitchers need to wary of

Guest Juanky

Conine is on fire, Mikey will get hotter, and Miguelito can keep up the rate of production as long as one of the bats around him is hot. If Mikey comes around while Niner is still hot (book it, will happen) it's pretty much over there. We're getting production from Alex and Hee Seop, which with those three producing is just bonus, and as long as Juanpy and Luiy keep it up it's all good. Will they keep it up? Who knows. Can they? Yes. And they've been cold so long they have to have enough heat stocked up in them to last until November.

Adding a bat while neglecting the real problem of the team will be foolish, although with the tude around here it would be welcomed with a ticker tape parade. Bats don't fix anything, arms fix everything.

Just imagine if we COULD replace redmond with a speedy catcher like kendal, That would make us pretty dangerous in my opinion

pierre

castillo

lowell

cabrera

conine

choi

gonzalez

kendal

Heck you could put Kendal almost anywhere in the lineup. I still hope and pray to get Kendal I know we don't hear anything about it, but ya never know. I think the lineup now with redmond in it is weak, take him out then every out is a tough out

Let me help decide for you - Juanky is right - to a point. I have said this same thing all season long - the offensive talent is there, we just need to get some production from Conine. And we are starting to see that. (this is also why I wanted him to hit 3rd - to help boost his production) There is plenty of offense to win games IF our starters can put together quality starts - which they have been of late - and our pen can just hold the lead.

I dont know if you guys have noticed, but since the starters have been getting us QS's, we are playing better and winning games. We still havent arrived, but I think this series could hlep the Marlins turn the corner. If Cordero can get back soon, with Easely and Harris on the bench, we have plenty of options.

Besides, I dont see any viable options for a bat. Finley is a high risk rental. Walker is too rich. Now, Dunn would be a great option, but I doubt we land him with Stokes and Murphy.

If we could land a solid bullpen arm to set up Mando - like BJ Ryan - then I think we have a very good shot of stealing this thing. And, it depends on whether or not the Braves or the Phillies make a move as well.

Guest Juanky

Anybody have the number of runs per game we have scored in July? I'm pretty sure we consistently had 3 runs or less per game for most of the month.

Our starters must get frustrated when they pitch great games and get no support.

479845[/snapback]

I bet they get more frustrated when they pitch well, the offense gives them a lead, and the bridge can't hold to Benitez.

We Don't? :banghead Need :banghead A :banghead Bat :banghead !

479804[/snapback]

I think our first priority should be bullpen help, but lets not kid anyone, we defintely need a bat, we cannot rely totally on cabrera playing like he has the last few games. We need someone else that can be not just solid, but that opposing pitchers need to wary of

479809[/snapback]

Ah, yes, but isn't it nice to watch Cabrera swing the bat when he is hot....what a talent!

i agree with juanky to. we seem to get big leads with the bats we have lately and the pen is just giving it up. we need to add asolid proven arm in the pen more than a bat.

479822[/snapback]

How quickly you guys forget. Yes we do need bullpen help, but we also need a bat. Lets not forget how mny 2-1, 2-0, 3-2 losses we've had this year where we've thought we need a bat. We need someone who can change an oposing teams strategy against our lineup, and who can deliver with people on base.

Guest Juanky

Quickly forget what? The bats have been problems at times. The bullpen has been a problem all year. The bullpen has cost more games than the offense has, and especially with the closer going down you need someone to step up. The revolving door from New Mexico hasn't done squat (one could argue some them weren't given an adequate chance, doesn't matter) and the fact of the matter is we need to go find an arm. What good is a 5-2 lead when your bullpen will come in to give up 4?

One series in particular that comes to mind is the series end of May, early June in which the Reds were in town. We were swept, entirely because of the bullpen. Dontrelle took a perfect game into the 7th inning in one of those games and Perisho blew the game in the ninth. Same exact thing had happened the two days before.

just because we need a bullpen arm doesn't mean we don't need a bat. we need both, the question is, what can we get with the resources we have.

also, if we had a better offense, we wouldn't need the bullpen to hold as many one-run leads as they do. it's a vicious cycle. the fact is, this team does not score runs. at what point do Conine, Choi, etc. lose the benefit of the doubt? it has been 4 months now, two-thirds of this season is done. the strain we put this bullpen under, and the need for bullpen help, is entirely due to our lack of production.