One Big Question, No Answer ... Yet

It would be a pretty inexperienced team of future talent... The pitching would carry the team to . 500 all season...

Well, if losing one player makes us inexperienced, then so be it. The chance to avoid losing Lowell for nothing, combined with the boatload of players we'd get for him, parlayed with the cash we save on payroll, just makes too much sense to me.

I just want to avoid making an "impulse purchase" on Lowell and shorting ourselves for years just to make a flimsy run at a wildcard this year.

We would lose Lowell, it's inevitable we lose Castillo, it's possible they trade Lee, also Penny, plus Burnett...

If you trade Lowell, you're going to give the fans the impression there's going to be a firesale because he is the teams best player. BUT, if you just deal Lee and Castillo, you wouldn't give that impression as strongly. Plus, you can always call-up Hooper, put Fox there, or get a new 2B in the trade. And there is always the possiblity of Stokes next year if he has a good ST, you could put Banks there, or even Move Stratton to 1B.

Attendace would stay normal, and those two are replaceable. Lowell isn't. Keep Miguel in LF, Lowell at 3B, and trade Lee, Castillo and I'm the happiest man alive, and it alows you to sign Lowell without taking on much extra payroll at all, if not any. Plus, you still get the hefty package of prospects.

That makes more sense to me than keeping two players that don't have half as much impact, would cost as much, and would decrease attendance by trading the star.

so much for attracting fans if Lowell leaves...whether its a good idea or not to trade him, the common fairweather fan (who are what is gonna fill up the stadium) will think of it as another firesale type thing, and refuse to come to the games until we once again have to prove that we are a good team.

Oh yeah, and these OFers and pitchers you want for Lowell...even Cabrera. If Cabrera ever turns into as good of a 3B as Lowell, he'll cost more. You dont understand....once players get good, we trade em. The point in keeping Lowell is to show that when the players get good, we'll try keeping them, instead of forever getting prospects for decent talent.

Exactly...

About 90% of the fans at the Pro aren't like us, but they are just the people who hear, "Hey, I heard the Marlins were doing good, and that Willis kid is great, and Lowell is leading the ML's in HR's... Maybe I should check it out."

Most of these fans go out to see a hyped player, not just the team. Once they hear that the player they went to go see is not on the team anymore, think they will still show up just to see the team? Hell no. They show up to see the stars, and if we don't have any, we're screwed. We might as well keep the one we have.

BTW, speaking of what the average fan would think if Lowell leaves......

Does anyone think that the loss of Castillo and/or Lee would play any better in the SoFLa media?

I can see the headlines already.... The most durable Marlin, who has played more games in teal than anyone else, gone. And the fan favorite, the man wih the 35 gamer, gone.

I think that the FO is gonna get screwed in the press either way. But, in a way, they deserve it for signing these ignorant one-year deals. What did they think was going to happen. Sigh.

a lot of people dont even know Lee's name. I want Castillo to stay, and he did attract fans...people know him for his 35 game hitting streak. I am not in favor of trading him away. Then again, I dont care for many trades at all. Im much more of a game-playing fan...i am a fan of watching the Marlins play and hopefully win, not following trades and such.

a lot of people dont even know Lee's name

Doesn't matter. Little 90 year old granny in Century Village can't name a single Marlin, but when her favorite newscaster gets on the evening news and tells her the Marlins are dumping, she's gonna believe it, and so will pretty much everyone else.

I think you forgot that the majority of the American public are sheep.

No no no no...the American public are sheep...which is exactly my point. Joe Sixpack doesnt know much about the Marlins, but hears about this character Willis, and this guy whos leading the majors in HRs Lowell. If he hears the Marlins are trading the "Mark McGwire of 2003" (when people think HR leader, they think McGwire, Sosa, Bonds) they aren't gonna wanna go to games. If they hear that they are trading some 1st baseman Lee, they'll think its just a trade.

P.S. The 90 year old granny in Century Village aint gonna go to games. The people that actually care about sports (the ones that are actually gonna hear "Lowell", "Willis", "Cabrera" etc. and REMEMBER the names and care enough to show up at the game are the ones who will show up).

What sounds more believable...

1) Kid: Hey dad, have you heard about this Mike Lowell guy? He's leading the league in HRs...you think we could go see him sometime?

2) Kid: Hey dad, have you heard about this Derrek Lee guy? He's the most durable player for the Marlins...maybe he'll break Cal Ripken's streak...you think we could go see him sometime?

No no no no...the American public are sheep...which is exactly my point. Joe Sixpack doesnt know much about the Marlins, but hears about this character Willis, and this guy whos leading the majors in HRs Lowell. If he hears the Marlins are trading the "Mark McGwire of 2003" (when people think HR leader, they think McGwire, Sosa, Bonds) they aren't gonna wanna go to games. If they hear that they are trading some 1st baseman Lee, they'll think its just a trade.

I agree with that 100% Furman. I think when they trade Lee they won't react harshly. Castillo they won't get AS MUCH negitrive attention for trading away. But they would obviously get bombarded by the press, fans, ect. for trading away their best hitter, one of the best in baseball, for prospects.

I think that the FO is gonna get screwed in the press either way. But, in a way, they deserve it for signing these ignorant one-year deals. What did they think was going to happen. Sigh.

But I agree with this too, Filet O' Fish. Your right. Mike Lowell's numbers have progressively gotten better season after season in every category. After hitting 44 doubles and 24 HR's last year, it should have been a sign. He should have gotten a long-term deal el cheapo style. And you may hate me for this, but if they were so high on how Derrek was gonna hit 35-40 HR's this year blah blah blah, then why didn't you sign him long-term before it ever happened so you don't have to dish out the big bucks? All I have to say is Willis better get a long-term contract, or someone's gonna get b*tch slapped!

it might be best to sign him for one deal. that is if you say after the arbitration.. i doubt anybody would sign a 1 year deal as a FA such as Lowell. hes going to go with th e longest biggest contract available.. maybe take a discount at home.. but not much.. just pennies.

Its better for 1 year if possible because then we can see if hes worth the big money since i never thought Lowell would ever hit more than 35 homers in a year.. hes leading the leaugue in homers and i dont think he will in his career ever again.. hes not taht type of hitter.. things are just going his way right now.

i dont think the fish would sign him for more than 3 years though.. at most. and thats because of the mets

I agree. If the the remotely possible happens and Lowell comes back, eveything points to a one year deal. The Marlins can't afford anything more, and they want the flexibility of having the option to trade his a** again next year at the deadline.

At the very, very, very best, this is the first verse of a situation that is going to occur at least once more.

We'll be arguing the same points again next June regarding a Lowell trade. Resistance is futile. *sigh*

it might be best to sign him for one deal.

Wow. So wrong...

Its better for 1 year if possible because then we can see if hes worth the big money since i never thought Lowell would ever hit more than 35 homers in a year.. hes leading the leaugue in homers and i dont think he will in his career ever again.. hes not taht type of hitter.. things are just going his way right now.

It isn't what you though that matters. Lowell has always had huge signs of huge power potential. 44 doubles last year is an example. This year he could have 40 HR's 40 doubles. But no, all those doubles he hit last year off the wall or the scoreboard are just going a little higher, turning into HR's. Just like what will eventually happen to Cabs. He will be worth every penny of the long-term deal he signs, dispite who he signs it with.