Dolphins shred Ricky merchandise with wood chipper

Accord

http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald/news/9436882.htm

Fish and chipper: Dolphins shred Ricky paraphernalia

BY EVAN S. BENN

ebenn@herald.com

A smiling Ricky Williams Bobblehead doll stood on the edge of the wood chipper, its dreadlocked noggin at full bobble from the machine's vibrations.

Seconds later, the doll zipped through the chipper and was reduced to plastic shreds.

''This is a cleansing process for South Florida,'' said Rob Jenners, a producer of the Paul and Young Ron morning show on WBGG-FM Big 105.9, which hosted Wednesday's shredding of Williams memorabilia at the Sawgrass Mills mall in Sunrise. ``Ricky didn't want to be here anymore, and this is our way of saying we don't want him here, either.''

Many fans are still upset about Williams' retirement from the Miami Dolphins at age 27, in the prime of his career, when his team was counting on him.

Unflattering websites have popped up, including www.screwricky.com, and a Coral Springs T-shirt company has sold 300 shirts that say ''F*** YOU RICKY'' with a doctored image of him smoking marijuana.

About 20 people showed up at the mall Wednesday for the radio station's wood-chipper stunt. They brought autographed jerseys, footballs, T-shirts and photos of Williams to launch through the chipper and into oblivion.

''He put us in a really bad situation, and we need to get him out of our heads,'' said longtime Dolfan Doug Russell of Fort Lauderdale.

A secretary at Williams' official fan club in Colleyville, Texas, chuckled when she heard about the wood chipper, but said the club did not have a comment. Williams' agent, Leigh Steinberg, could not be reached Wednesday.

Williams announced his retirement July 24, days before the Dolphins began training camp. He later said that a third failed drug test played a large role in his decision.

Fans fumed that the team's star running back quit just weeks before the start of the NFL preseason.

Some websites posted messages begging Williams to return, but others spouted hateful tirades. At a Dolphins preseason game last weekend, Coral Springs-based Colossoul Designs sold out of its new T-shirts with the nasty message. That stands in contrast to another Coral Springs company, Exclusive Sports & Promotions, which expects to lose $500,000 on unwanted Williams memorabilia.

On Wednesday, Jenners gave a live feed to DJs Paul Castronovo and Ron Brewer as he pushed Williams memorabilia into the heavy-duty wood chipper, which was draped with a banner: ``Specializing In The Destruction Of Your Unwanted Memories.''

A Williams-signed football belonging to Castronovo was one of the first to go. A listener offered him $200 for the football, but Castronovo sent it through the chipper.

Castronovo was not the only one to unload Williams memorabilia. A search Wednesday of online auction site eBay turned up almost 900 Williams items, but very few bidders.

The memorabilia demolition echoed a similar display in February when Chicago Cubs supporters blew up the baseball that Cubs fan Steve Bartman deflected during Game 6 of last year's National League Championship playoffs against the Florida Marlins.

''This is our version of the Bartman ball,'' Jenners said. ``Except they had one specific piece they needed to forget, and we've got a whole bunch of stuff to get off our chest.''

the funny thing is if ricky came back, everyone would love him again like nothing ever happened. so this "he didnt want us, we dont want him" attitude is full of s***

518986[/snapback]

Exactly...I still like the guy. That was his own decision to make. I woulnt mind if he decided to come back at all. I still have my Ricky Williams memorabilia and I dont plan on trashing it like other people did.

the funny thing is if ricky came back, everyone would love him again like nothing ever happened. so this "he didnt want us, we dont want him" attitude is full of s***

518986[/snapback]

Exactly...I still like the guy. That was his own decision to make. I woulnt mind if he decided to come back at all. I still have my Ricky Williams memorabilia and I dont plan on trashing it like other people did.

519000[/snapback]

of course it would be great if he came back, but i cant see myself ever liking him or respecting him again. he smoked pot, then used masking agents to cover it up. and a reason he gave for leaving is "because pot is way better than paxil" :thumbdown

Guest marlins02

i really dont care about the weed, he's not the only one to do it. i dont even hate him for retiring. football is a rough sport that wears on the human body and i understand if he didnt want to do it anymore. my problem is the fact that he waited till a week before camp to let anyone know about his plans. thats what f***ing pissed me off.

that dude that turned down $200 for that autographed football and put it through the wood chipper is a complete idiot.

i really dont care about the weed, he's not the only one to do it. i dont even hate him for retiring. football is a rough sport that wears on the human body and i understand if he didnt want to do it anymore. my problem is the fact that he waited till a week before camp to let anyone know about his plans. thats what f***ing pissed me off.

that dude that turned down $200 for that autographed football and put it through the wood chipper is a complete idiot.

519165[/snapback]

I would have slapped him.....Thats like putting my Dan Marino ball through a wood chipper....wait no its not but still If i had a autographed ball my Ricky i wouldnt put it through a wood chipper......are you nuts....im sure that ball would have had some sort of good value in the future.

That dude works for the station that hosted the event. I'm sure he makes a reasonably good amount of money, he can care less about 200 bucks. As for the ball, he'll probably get one autographed by the next star running back that comes into town, no biggie.

Guest marlins02

That dude works for the station that hosted the event. I'm sure he makes a reasonably good amount of money, he can care less about 200 bucks. As for the ball, he'll probably get one autographed by the next star running back that comes into town, no biggie.

519318[/snapback]

yeah i just saw that because of your post. all i orginally noticed was that the guy turned down $200. didnt notice who the guy was.

id still take it even if i was him.

What a bunch of losers.

Boy, they showed Ricky.

519357[/snapback]

You know what I did with Corey Dillon and Takeo Spikes "memorabilia" when they left the Bengals? Nothing. It's still in my closet. One day I'll either A) give it to good will or B) give it to that bum on High Street (on the OSU campus) who's wearing that ratty Cav's jersey because, frankly, I'll never wear it again. I still don't see what pleasure one derives from burning old overpriced stuff.

What does putting old crap in a wood chipper accomplish? And that guy could have given that 200 bucks to somebody who needs it. Like a homeless guy who needs the comforts of hooch on a cold summer's night in Miami. :confused

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.