September 8, 200422 yr who else is picking these bad boys up, and who else is pumped to see these movies on DVD finally !!!!!!!
September 8, 200422 yr I'm be buying it. But George isn't releasing the originals, which I wanted to see on DVD. He's releasing his new crap that he made for the anniversery. :thumbdown
September 8, 200422 yr It still kicks infinetely more ass than any other sci-fi movie. I'll be picking it up on the big day.
September 8, 200422 yr These movies need to be protected from Lucas. I'm glad I still have the original, unf***ed with, on video. Seriously, Greedo shooting first was the worst decision since appeasing Hitler. :thumbdown
September 9, 200422 yr Jawesome. As much as the first prequel sucked, you know that Lucas is trying hard to get back to the magic that made the original trilogy magical. I mean as bad as the acting was in the second prequel, it wasn't altogether that bad, especially with John Williams scoring taking many themes from the original movies.
September 9, 200422 yr you know that Lucas is trying hard to get back to the magic that made the original trilogy magical Lucas has been far from it. :thumbdown
September 9, 200422 yr you know that Lucas is trying hard to get back to the magic that made the original trilogy magical Lucas has been far from it. :thumbdown 547735[/snapback] Come on Chewbacca, the first prequel sucked, the second movie was a vast improvement. And maybe its the fact that Star Wars has had so many books written in between the releases. Be thankful that they are getting back on track.
September 9, 200422 yr you know that Lucas is trying hard to get back to the magic that made the original trilogy magical Lucas has been far from it. :thumbdown 547735[/snapback] Come on Chewbacca, the first prequel sucked, the second movie was a vast improvement. And maybe its the fact that Star Wars has had so many books written in between the releases. Be thankful that they are getting back on track. 547744[/snapback] Lucas has made horrible decisions. -Greedo shooting first -Jar Jar Binks -making Anakin an idiot in the first movie -replacing the vader actor at the end of ROTJ -not enough wookiee in episodes 1 and 2 -Episode 1 and 2 targeted little kids. :thumbdown to name a few
September 9, 200422 yr you know that Lucas is trying hard to get back to the magic that made the original trilogy magical Lucas has been far from it. :thumbdown 547735[/snapback] Come on Chewbacca, the first prequel sucked, the second movie was a vast improvement. And maybe its the fact that Star Wars has had so many books written in between the releases. Be thankful that they are getting back on track. 547744[/snapback] Lucas has made horrible decisions. -Greedo shooting first -Jar Jar Binks -making Anakin an idiot in the first movie -replacing the vader actor at the end of ROTJ -not enough wookiee in episodes 1 and 2 -Episode 1 and 2 targeted little kids. :thumbdown to name a few 547773[/snapback] I didn't think 2 targeted kids. One is a different story. Two had a very good plot IMHO and a crappy actor in Hayden Christensen. Two was definetly darker, not for little kids, type movie IMO.
September 9, 200422 yr I've heard rumors of a 3rd triology, which I hope Lucas won't make. This would be a horrible attempt to make even more money and is just gay. I've seem the script summary for Episode 3 and it should be a great way to end the saga.
September 9, 200422 yr 21st? ill only be picking up star wars battefront for xbox. 24 player online war hell! its like BF 1942 but star wars!
September 9, 200422 yr the first and the second sucked horrendous amounts of complete suck ... I still have the originals with all the fuzzy stuff star wars was a good franchise ... sorry Lucas, you need to give these masterpieces to the right people so they can actually take care of them
September 9, 200422 yr are the DVDs really gonna be the "Special Editions" Lucas released about 8 years ago, with the walking Jabba and all that nonsense?? please tell me no, cause if not, that would suck horrendous amounts of complete suck. please let it just be the originals. damn it all. :banghead
September 9, 200422 yr i pre-ordered mine months ago through starwars.com the cover of the DVD's looks awsome...as for the movies nothing beats watching the originals but the re-made versions arent that bad i mean we got to see Han talking to Jabba....as for episode 1 i liked it cause we got to see the characters on screen that i had only read about on books but Jar Jar Binks was a horrible decision by lucas but i understand that he had to have a character for the kids...episode 2 was a lot better cause it was alot more serious than 1 and it introduced the Fetts and the Grand Army,plus we got to see Yoda in a Light Saber fight...i read the script for 3 and let me tell you the movie is going to be out of hand awsome..Lucas went back to the old school ways cause of all the heat he got from 1 and 2...this movie is worth the wait and the old school star wars fans will be very pleased...
September 9, 200422 yr are the DVDs really gonna be the "Special Editions" Lucas released about 8 years ago, with the walking Jabba and all that nonsense?? please tell me no, cause if not, that would suck horrendous amounts of complete suck. please let it just be the originals. damn it all. :banghead 548607[/snapback] Lucas for some reason wants to destroy the origanils. :thumbdown This is the Greedo shooting first, garbage, special edition, and the darth vader at the end of ROTJ is Hayden Christianson. :banghead
September 12, 200422 yr i'll probably buy them because I'm weak... i have the originals on video at least. the worst changes are the Greedo, Han walking over Jabba, and the gay ass musical numbers Lucas threw in.
September 12, 200422 yr are the DVDs really gonna be the "Special Editions" Lucas released about 8 years ago, with the walking Jabba and all that nonsense?? please tell me no, cause if not, that would suck horrendous amounts of complete suck. please let it just be the originals. damn it all.? :banghead 548607[/snapback] Lucas for some reason wants to destroy the origanils. :thumbdown This is the Greedo shooting first, garbage, special edition, and the darth vader at the end of ROTJ is Hayden Christianson. :banghead 549246[/snapback] what happened with Hayden Christiansen?? i didnt see ROTJ cause of the complete disappointment of A New Hope and Empire (special editions i mean of course).
September 12, 200422 yr Hayden and Yoda have a gay sex scene. Very much like the skit from Chappelle's Show. "Mmmm, good blow this is." Go to dvd.ign.com. They have a review and they say the additions don't take much from the originals and sometimes make it better.
September 20, 200422 yr * BUMP * Well, in the spirit of tomorrow's big re-re-release, I bring you the latest article regarding the new DVDs, plus a new interview with everyone's favorite a**hole, the almighty Lucas himself... Credit:CNN.com Five major changes in the 'Star Wars' DVD By Douglas Hyde Special to CNN.com Monday, September 20, 2004 Posted: 2:57 PM EDT LOS ANGELES, California (CNN) -- George Lucas made several changes in "Star Wars" when the film was re-released in 1997. With the "Star Wars" trilogy on DVD, he's tinkered a little more. Here are five changes Lucas made: 5. Jedis don't scream The 1997 special edition version of "The Empire Strikes Back" was changed so Luke wails as he jumps off the platform in Cloud City. In the only instance of Lucas undoing a later alteration (sadly, Greedo still shoots first on the DVD of "A New Hope"), he's taken it off the DVD edition. Maybe he realized Jedis (even ones in training) don't scream. 4. Boba Fett has a new voice Since Boba Fett is a clone of Jango Fett, and Jango Fett is played by Temura Morrison, doesn't it make sense that he should sound like him, too? That's exactly what George Lucas thought, so Morrison was brought in to revoice the four lines of dialogue (yes, believe it or not there are only four!) Boba spoke in the original trilogy. 3. A new and improved Jabba Remember that dodgy-looking computer-generated Jabba they inserted into the 1997 re-release of "A New Hope"? Well, he looks a little less dodgy this time around thanks to some improved CGI. 2. The emperor's new clothes In the original version of "The Empire Strikes Back," the emperor Darth Vader speaks to via hologram was played by a woman in a mask (!) and voiced by Clive Revill. Again, in the interests of consistency, Ian McDiarmid -- who portrays the emperor in "Return of the Jedi" and the prequel trilogy -- now appears in that scene with an added line or two of dialogue. 1. The big finale The 1997 special edition of "Return of the Jedi" added a few "Star Wars" worlds joining the celebration of the Empire's demise at the end of the film. For the DVD, they've added Naboo, a planet that figures prominently in the prequel trilogy. Also, Anakin Skywalker is noticeably different this time around. When he removes his Darth Vader helmet, he now has no eyebrows! It's probably safe to assume he singes them off in his battle with Obi-Wan Kenobi in next summer's "Return of the Sith" and a change had to be made. But the most noticeable change -- and perhaps one some "Star Wars" diehards will have a tough time stomaching -- is Hayden Christensen (who plays young Anakin in the prequel trilogy) now appearing in the scene where the "force ghosts" of Anakin, Obi Wan, and Yoda smile at Luke. One thing's for sure, there's plenty for fans to debate -- that is, until the trilogy comes out yet again on another format in the future and Mr. Lucas makes his inevitable changes. Why Lucas tinkered with 'Star Wars' Boxed set of first three movies out Tuesday Monday, September 20, 2004 Posted: 2:56 PM EDT (1856 GMT) SAN RAFAEL, California (AP) -- George Lucas never figured on a 30-year career as a space pilot. Once "Star Wars" shot into hyperspace, though, he found it hard to come back down to Earth. Making its DVD debut Tuesday, Lucas' original sci-fi trilogy -- "Star Wars," "The Empire Strikes Back" and "Return of the Jedi" -- began as an experimental foray into old-time studio moviemaking for Lucas, whose first two films had been far removed from usual Hollywood sensibilities. Lucas' sci-fi satire "THX 1138" had been a commercial dud, but the energetic "American Graffiti" with its driving soundtrack and multi-character point of view scored with audiences, giving the director clout to try something bigger that had been on his mind. "I'd already started this other idea, which was to do a kind of a classic action adventure film using sets," Lucas said over lunch at his 2,600-acre Skywalker Ranch. "I'd never worked on a set, I'd never worked at a studio. Never made a traditional movie. So I said, 'I'm going to do this once, just to see what it's like, what it's like to actually design everything, work on a soundstage, do an old-fashioned 1930s movie. "And I'll do it in that mode from the 1930s Saturday matinee serials, using kind of 1930s and '40s sensibilities, and I'll base it on sort of mythological motifs and icons. I'll just put it together in a modern form, and I'll have fun. That's how I got into that. I did it because it was an interesting move into an area that I thought I'd never go into." Three decades later, Lucas is preparing to launch the last of his six "Star Wars" films. Next summer brings "Star Wars: Episode III -- Revenge of the Sith," completing the prequel trilogy that tells the story of young Anakin Skywalker's metamorphosis into the villainous Darth Vader of the original three films. Fans have eagerly awaited the first three "Star Wars" films on DVD, a release Lucas initially intended to delay until he finished "Episode III." Some will be miffed that the original theatrical versions are not included in the "Star Wars" boxed set, which features only the special-edition versions Lucas issued in the late 1990s, with added effects and footage, including a scene between Harrison Ford's Han Solo and crime lord Jabba the Hutt in the first "Star Wars." Q: Why did you change your mind and decide to put the original three movies out on DVD now? GEORGE LUCAS: Just because the market has shifted so dramatically. A lot of people are getting very worried about piracy. That has really eaten dramatically into the sales. It really just came down to, there may not be a market when I wanted to bring it out, which was like, three years from now. So rather than just sit by and watch the whole thing fall apart, better to bring it out early and get it over with. Q: Why did you rework the original trilogy into the special-edition versions in the late 1990s? LUCAS: To me, the special edition ones are the films I wanted to make. Anybody that makes films knows the film is never finished. It's abandoned or it's ripped out of your hands, and it's thrown into the marketplace, never finished. It's a very rare experience where you find a filmmaker who says, "That's exactly what I wanted. I got everything I needed. I made it just perfect. I'm going to put it out there." And even most artists, most painters, even composers would want to come back and redo their work now. They've got a new perspective on it, they've got more resources, they have better technology, and they can fix or finish the things that were never done. ... I wanted to actually finish the film the way it was meant to be when I was originally doing it. At the beginning, people went, "Don't you like it?" I said, "Well, the film only came out to be 25 or 30 percent of what I wanted it to be." They said, "What are you talking about?" So finally, I stopped saying that, but if you read any interviews for about an eight- or nine-year period there, it was all about how disappointed I was and how unhappy I was and what a dismal experience it was. You know, it's too bad you need to get kind of half a job done and never get to finish it. So this was my chance to finish it. Q: Why not release both the originals and special editions on DVD? LUCAS: The special edition, that's the one I wanted out there. The other movie, it's on VHS, if anybody wants it. ... I'm not going to spend the, we're talking millions of dollars here, the money and the time to refurbish that, because to me, it doesn't really exist anymore. It's like this is the movie I wanted it to be, and I'm sorry you saw half a completed film and fell in love with it. But I want it to be the way I want it to be. I'm the one who has to take responsibility for it. I'm the one who has to have everybody throw rocks at me all the time, so at least if they're going to throw rocks at me, they're going to throw rocks at me for something I love rather than something I think is not very good, or at least something I think is not finished. Q: Do you pay much attention to fan reactions to your choices? LUCAS: Not really. The movies are what the movies are. ... The thing about science-fiction fans and "Star Wars" fans is they're very independent-thinking people. They all think outside the box, but they all have very strong ideas about what should happen, and they think it should be their way. Which is fine, except I'm making the movies, so I should have it my way. Q: After "Episode III," will you ever revisit "Star Wars"? LUCAS: Ultimately, I'm going to probably move it into television and let other people take it. I'm sort of preserving the feature film part for what has happened and never go there again, but I can go off into various offshoots and things. You know, I've got offshoot novels, I've got offshoot comics. So it's very easy to say, "Well, OK, that's that genre, and I'll find a really talented person to take it and create it." Just like the comic books and the novels are somebody else's way of doing it. I don't mind that. Some of it might turn out to be pretty good. If I get the right people involved, it could be interesting.
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.