SVG talks about how college sports are a joke

Accord

Ron Zook allegedly taking part of his University of Florida football team to a frat house, looking for a fight?

Allow Heat coach Stan Van Gundy to cut through the hypocrisy.

''If you are 5-0, it is not a fireable offense,'' he says. ``If your team is 1-4 or 2-3, it is a fireable offense.''

Van Gundy, a good and smart man, doesn't do controversy. He has been working in this town for more than a decade without uttering a flammable syllable. But don't get him started on the subject of shamateurism. He knows more than most that it is only a loss-column ''L'' that separates higher learning from higher earning.

''College athletics, they're supposed to be this bastion of purity,'' Van Gundy says. ``You've got to be kidding me. Pro athletics are far more upfront and honest. We know what it's all about at this level. They do in college, too, but they try to fool people into thinking its about the kids and education, which is a bunch of crap.''

WINNING MASKS ALL WARTS

Debaucherous Admin Eustachy didn't get fired for perception problems at Iowa State. He got fired for having perception problems while losing. All would have been forgiven if he had been winning and drunk, as the University of Cincinnati's Bob Huggins has proven. Huggins couldn't get through the slurred alphabet during a police-videotaped DUI arrest but he, unlike Eustachy, has been to the NCAA tournament 13 years in a row. So he remains Cincinnati's highest-paid employee, of course.

''I listen to d*** Vitale and Billy Packer talking about how these kids should go to college for the education and experience,'' Van Gundy says. ``What a joke. I'm telling you, it's all about winning, and those people will do anything to keep those kids eligible. A lot of them will discourage kids from taking classes that can be very valuable to them. If you think any of those [college] administrators are worried about integrity, you're crazy.''

Van Gundy has no problem with high school kids jumping straight to the pros. The choice for the star recruit, as he sees it, is between being a mercenary for slave wages at the college level or being a mercenary for millions at the pro level. Which isn't much of a choice at all.

''I don't think the NCAA cares anything about the athlete,'' he says. ``Some of their rules make that very, very clear. I wouldn't want my kid going to any college that can't teach him it is a good decision to bypass college for $5 million a year.''

DOUBLE STANDARD

High school kids jump to the pros all the time in baseball and hockey, with far more frequency and far less success. But NBA players get criticized for it more often and more loudly, even though they are earning far more in the transaction than those slumming through minor-league baseball and hockey towns.

''The reason people never have gotten upset with kids leaving college to play minor-league baseball for $300 a month is that it was mainly white kids playing for very little money,'' Van Gundy says. ``What they don't like is black kids from the inner-city coming out and making millions of dollars without going to college. Quite frankly, I think it is racist.''

We aren't used to hearing Van Gundy talk this way.

It is controversial, opinionated and harsh.

It's something else, though, too.

The truth.

http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald/sport...ard/9983062.htm

Great Article, SVG you the man, best quote

''I don't think the NCAA cares anything about the athlete,'' he says. ``Some of their rules make that very, very clear. I wouldn't want my kid going to any college that can't teach him it is a good decision to bypass college for $5 million a year.''

I agree, finally someone said it, all hail SVG :notworthy

I love how top d-1 programs make the rest of college athletics out to be a "joke".

So there are 50 colleges who, in a few sports, care about winning more than the education....therefore ALL of college athletics are based on winning, and not education AND winning.

THAT is the joke.

Yah, FSU, UF, UNC basketball, UT, etc....they care about winning. It's a business.

But there are 100s of colleges with NCAA athletics, and it isn't all about the money for them.

I love how top d-1 programs make the rest of college athletics out to be a "joke".

So there are 50 colleges who, in a few sports, care about winning more than the education....therefore ALL of college athletics are based on winning, and not education AND winning.

THAT is the joke.

Yah, FSU, UF, UNC basketball, UT, etc....they care about winning. It's a business.

But there are 100s of colleges with NCAA athletics, and it isn't all about the money for them.

599346[/snapback]

But are the top high school athletes in the nation, that would otherwise be first round draft picks, going to go play for Appalachian state or are they going to Chapel Hill?

Did anyone else find it hilarious that d*** Vitale's name is censored.

First off I like the College Basketball MUCH better than the NBA.

Why should I want to watch a bunch of thugs who are constantly being arrested but yet always find a way to get off the hook? Kids jumping straight from high school are bringing the league's level of play down. I don't blame high school kids for making the jump but look at some who thought they could do it and make millions and now I'm sure they regret it. Lenny Cooke springs to mind.

I don't know what the point of the article is anyway seeing that South Florida for the most part could care less about college sports or sports in general for that matter.

599386[/snapback]

Yea, lol. Its stupid though since they dont censore the VP's name

599760[/snapback]

d*** Cheney.

First off I like the College Basketball MUCH better than the NBA.

Why should I want to watch a bunch of thugs who are constantly being arrested but yet always find a way to get off the hook? Kids jumping straight from high school are bringing the league's level of play down. I don't blame high school kids for making the jump but look at some who thought they could do it and make millions and now I'm sure they regret it. Lenny Cooke springs to mind.

I don't know what the point of the article is anyway seeing that South Florida for the most part could care less about college sports or sports in general for that matter.

599392[/snapback]

I prefer college basketball to NBA games that don't involve the Heat, too.

There's mistakes in every sport. College players get drafted all the time and accomplish nothing with their careers, plenty that were damn good in college (James Jones anyone?). I'd bet there were more college players in the passed 5 years drafted that have accomplished nothing than high school players drafted that have accomplished nothing.

And way to take a senseless shot at Miami for no reason.

599386[/snapback]

Yea, lol. Its stupid though since they dont censore the VP's name

599760[/snapback]

d*** Cheney.

yea i know his name, and its the board doing the censoring

600508[/snapback]

You said they didn't censor his name. I see otherwise.