17 reasons not to vote for GWB

PhishPhan

1. Former President Bill Clinton briefing President-elect Bush on security issues in December 2000: "I think you will find that by far your biggest threat is Bin Ladin and the al Qaeda. One of the great regrets of my presidency is that I didn't get him [bin Ladin] for you, because I tried to." Source: Testimony by Clinton, published in the 9/11 Commission Report

2. Upon taking office, Bush proposed cutting more than $500 million in counterterrorism funding from the Justice Department. Source: "Condi gets a reality check," Center for American Progress, April 8, 2004

3. On Sept. 10, 2001, U.S. Attorney General John Ashcroft rejected an appeal from the FBI for more money to fight terrorism in the 2002 budget. Source: Toronto Star, April 13, 2004

4. On Sept. 11, 2001, national security advisor Condoleezza Rice planned to deliver a speech about national security that made no mention of Osama bin Laden, Al Qaeda or Islamic fundamentalists. Source: CNN.com, April 1, 2004

5. National security advisor Condoleezza Rice: "The title of the [Aug. 6, 2001 Presidential Daily Briefing] was, 'Bin Laden Determined to Attack Inside the United States." Source: Testimony before the 9/11 Commission, April 8, 2004

6. George W. Bush, April 11, 2004: "The P.D.B. was no indication of a terrorist threat." Source: The New York Times, April 12, 2004

7. On July 24, 2001, U.S. Attorney General John Ashcroft stopped flying on commercial jets and started traveling only on chartered government planes. When asked about the change, Ashcroft cited a "threat assessment" by the FBI. Source: The Village Voice, April 13, 2004

8. In the week after Sept. 11, 2001, at least eight planes carried 140 passengers out of the country. Many of the passengers were Saudi Arabian royalty, while about 24 of them were members of the bin Laden family. One of the flights, on Sept. 13, took off from Tampa to Lexington, Ky. The White House denied that the flight ever took place, but records produced in June under a Freedom of Information Act request prove that it did. Sources: The Boston Globe, April 11, 2004; St. Petersburg Times, June 9, 2004

9. An agency of the Treasury Department assigned to blocking the financial resources of terrorists has five times as many agents investigating Cuban embargo violations than it does tracking Osama bin Laden. Source: Associated Press, April 29, 2004

10. In April, the State Department announced that terrorism incidents worldwide had dropped from 198 in 2002 to 190 in 2003. In June the State Department announced that it had made a mistake, and that terrorism incidents had actually risen, from 205 in 2002 to 208 in 2003. Source: The New York Times, June 23, 2004

11. The 9/11 Commission reported in June that there is "no credible evidence" linking Al Qaeda to Iraq under Saddam Hussein. Vice President d*** Cheney continues to assert that the two are connected. Source: The New York Times, June 16, 2004

12. The Mujahideen-e Khalq Organization (MKO), a group of Iranian Marxist rebels, is officially considered a terrorist organization by the U.S. State Department. But members of the same group under American guard in an Iraqi camp are classified as "protected persons" under the Geneva Convention. The MKO, which assassinated several Americans in the 1970s, is dedicated to overthrowing the Iranian government. Source: The Christian Science Monitor, July 29, 2004

13. U.S. Sen. Bill Nelson, D-Fla.: "When you realize that only 3 percent of the cargo containers coming into this country are being inspected, you see the opportunity for a great deal of mischief by terrorists." Source: Associated Press, Feb. 17, 2004

14. According to Sen. Bob Graham, D-Fla., Gen. Tommy Franks, the man who ran the war in Afghanistan, thinks the war in Iraq has diverted attention from where it should be: Afghanistan, Yemen and Somalia. Source: Associated Press, Sept. 6, 2004

15. "West Virginia's top Army Reserve spokesman says the Iraq war was a mistake, and President Bush should be voted out of office." Source: The Charleston Gazette, Sept. 6, 2004

16. George W. Bush responding to NBC-TV reporter Matt Lauer Aug. 29, regarding the war on terror: "I don't think you can win it." Source: The New York Times, Aug. 31, 2004

1. Former President Bill Clinton briefing President-elect Bush on security issues in December 2000: "I think you will find that by far your biggest threat is Bin Ladin and the al Qaeda. One of the great regrets of my presidency is that I didn't get him [bin Ladin] for you, because I tried to." Source: Testimony by Clinton, published in the 9/11 Commission Report

I did not know that. wow.

603427[/snapback]

Look it up, you should just be able to google it all up and find it for any of them.

603427[/snapback]

Look it up, you should just be able to google it all up and find it for any of them.

603432[/snapback]

Then why didn't Clinton do anything to Bin Laden when he had him in custody?

603427[/snapback]

My sentiments exactly.

603427[/snapback]

603432[/snapback]

Then why didn't Clinton do anything to Bin Laden when he had him in custody?

603486[/snapback]

he takes part of the blame for not getting him, certainly, but people who say he was not seriously pursuing Bin Laden are just wrong.

One month before Clinton left office, several conservatives praised him on his antiterrorism record. For example, Robert Oakley, ambassador for counterterrorism under President Reagan, said: ?Overall, I give them very high marks? The only major criticism I have [with Clinton] is the obsession with Osama, which has made him stronger.? But Paul Bremer, who had had the same post under Reagan, and later chaired the National Commission on Terrorism, disagreed with Oakley. He felt that Clinton had ?correctly focused on bin Laden.?