Are we going after 6 starters?

PBMarlin

Burnett, Beckett, Willis, Leiter and .....

Pavano and Valdez?

Now if the reports are accurate, it sounds like the Fish are going to make a serious run at Pavano. And we know Carl does have a sense of loyalty to our front office....at least to a point. So what if we bump the offer to him and he accepts? That would be starter #5.

Is it not likely that Valdez will accept the arbitration offer? Or has he already agreed to decline to keep the negotiating window open until Jan. 8? It would seem this must be the case since a low-budget team like the Fish cannot afford the luxury of a 6th starter.

I suppose it will all play out in the next few weeks.

They probably believe that they will end up with one, but not two, of those starters that we are going after.

630031[/snapback]

One would think so.

But there is a real possibility we come to terms with Pavano and Valdez accepts our offer of arbitration.

630037[/snapback]

we can still trade players who are Arbii cases.

Beckett for Dunn, duh. :deadhorse

630035[/snapback]

right after i made my post i remember that rumor. That could be another optio Beinfest could consider, he could trade Beckett for Dunn, but I think that deal happens only if the reds take Encarnacion or a third team takes Encarnacion

Beckett for Dunn, duh. :deadhorse

630035[/snapback]

:lol that is getting so annoying holmes :lol

630039[/snapback]

I have a theory. If I post this every day....

Of the offseason.....

Eventually....

I will be able to do it in my sleep so I don't have to think about it.

They probably believe that they will end up with one, but not two, of those starters that we are going after.

630031[/snapback]

One would think so.

But there is a real possibility we come to terms with Pavano and Valdez accepts our offer of arbitration.

630037[/snapback]

we can still trade players who are Arbii cases.

630040[/snapback]

we cant trade Ismael because he already has more than 6 yrs.

The other problem this presents is that we have Leiter in the rotation for say $7M, and Pavano at $8M, our overall salary budget would exceed $70M, including the Hampton/Pudge payout.

It has been reported the salary budget is $60M this year.

Now unless Pavano is willing to accept a heavily back-loaded deal, and Leiter has accepted deferred $$$, I don't see how this all adds up.

The other problem this presents is that we have Leiter in the rotation for say $7M, and Pavano at $8M, our overall salary budget would exceed $70M, including the Hampton/Pudge payout.

Now unless Pavano is willing to accept a heavily back-loaded deal, and Leiter has accepted deferred $$$, I don't see how this all adds up.

630061[/snapback]

I bet it is backloaded, and Pavano's would be too. We'd deal AJ (who would probably make about 4 million through arbi) and Encarnacion for a good right fielder for 5 million. So, we'd save 3 million next year right there, and if you backload Pav's and Al's salary, then we'd be fine. Also, it's possible our payroll will go up to over 60 million, but of course they would never announce that so that players don't know what kind bargaining position they're really in. I think if we resign Pav, Loria is willing to use some special money to get us over the hump. And, with one more top hitter we'd be very strong contenders.

630061[/snapback]

I bet it is backloaded, and Pavano's would be too. We'd deal AJ (who would probably make about 4 million through arbi) and Encarnacion for a good right fielder for 5 million. So, we'd save 3 million next year right there, and if you backload Pav's and Al's salary, then we'd be fine. Also, it's possible our payroll will go up to over 60 million, but of course they would never announce that so that players don't know what kind bargaining position they're really in. I think if we resign Pav, Loria is willing to use some special money to get us over the hump. And, with one more top hitter we'd be very strong contenders.

630087[/snapback]

While it's difficult to see how this could all add up financially, I agree with your premise that adding Pavano and a lefty bat would make us strong contenders in the NL East.....possibly even the favorites since it looks like Atlanta is going to have to retool once again.

No way we trade AJ....he is going to be a bargain next year at $4M...and the Ace of the staff.

Im guessing there going after both Pav's and Valdez simply because Valdez isnt that big of an investment, and he would be a good spot starter should any of the five others get hurt. and btw... imagine if we do resign Pav's

Pavano

Beckett

Burnett

Willis

Leiter

Pretty f***ing sweet rotation...