Think about this...

Off the books after 2005:

$13 Million Pudge/Hampton

$6 Million Lo Duca

$4 Million Encarnacion

Basically, we lose two players and have $23 Million to play with removing just them next off-season. Pending what Burnett does this season, I'm sure his name has a multi-year deal written all over it with some of that money. Re-sign A-Gon and an average catcher, as well as a huge bat. The question I'm asking is, what bats are out there next year? The point I'm presenting is, I think the FO is holding out for next year, and it might not be such a bad idea.

Conine might be gone as well, he is a little long in the tooth

I think this is also assuming whatever happens with the stadium doesn't cost the team more money.

I don't foresee this brass letting Lo Duca go after what happend with Pudge, but I could be wrong.

To re-sign AJ you are looking at 7-10 million a year and that could eat up a lot of whatever we get anyway. Maybe take the time and just get Josh under long term too?

Isn't Motas contract up in a year or two also?

And we'd also have to replace Al and 6 finger. So that money will not go too far I don't think, especially since the cost of players are going up and up.

Noma will be a free agent, I know that much. ;)

Based on this off-season's signings, I'm not looking forward to next year for us.

648184[/snapback]

Why not? Next year we could potentially set the tone of the market because we will be such a big player. It changes from year to year, and because there were SO many talented free agents this year and so many big money teams had money to throw around and holes to fill that the prices ran up. Next year there won't be nearly as many FA's or big-money teams involved, so it should be different.

It may be premature to suggest that LoDuca will be off the books after 2005.

Considering how much the FO likes the guy my guess is he'll be signed to a multi-year deal shortly.

Your Hampton/Pudge number is significantly inflated. I believe we are only paying Hampton $8.5 million net in 2005 because the Rockies are paying us $2.5 million. Additionally Pudge is to receive only $2 million in 2005 and another $2 million in 2006.

On the plus side, I believe Encarnacion is due $4.5 million this season not $4 million.

Based on this off-season's signings, I'm not looking forward to next year for us.

648184[/snapback]

Why not? Next year we could potentially set the tone of the market because we will be such a big player. It changes from year to year, and because there were SO many talented free agents this year and so many big money teams had money to throw around and holes to fill that the prices ran up. Next year there won't be nearly as many FA's or big-money teams involved, so it should be different.

648206[/snapback]

I'm not sure I agree with you because I dont see the Marlins really spending more money because the Hampton & Pudge contracts are gone. We'll probably use the money to resign our own guys and we showed a real lack of ability to do that this off season. As for not as many big-money teams being involved, somehow I doubt that. Teams like Yanks, Angels et al will always be active and if there's fewer players available then it means a tighter market. Supply & demand stuff. At any rate, I hope you're right.

648184[/snapback]

Why not? Next year we could potentially set the tone of the market because we will be such a big player.

648206[/snapback]

A big player?? Jeffrey Loria's cheap spending habits (even in the offseason after you won a world title) say to me that he wants to do all he can to avoid spending money.

648184[/snapback]

Why not? Next year we could potentially set the tone of the market because we will be such a big player.

648206[/snapback]

A big player?? Jeffrey Loria's cheap spending habits (even in the offseason after you won a world title) say to me that he wants to do all he can to avoid spending money.

648440[/snapback]

Wow :thumbdown

648184[/snapback]

648206[/snapback]

648440[/snapback]

648465[/snapback]

Would you like to respond with a relevant point to disprove that comment?

No, because you have no argument or ground to stand on if you were to say Loria isn't cheap.

Also, you must remember with all this "freed up money" we're going need to find:

A firstbaseman (Stokes is the in system replacement)

A right-fielder (Hermida will likely be the replacement)

A short-stop

At least two starting pitchers (Leiter'll retire, AJ is due money, and god knows what our #5 situation will be)

And, of course, the annual bullpen overhaul.

That's going to take all the money to plug most of those holes.

648184[/snapback]

648206[/snapback]

648440[/snapback]

648465[/snapback]

No, because you have no argument or ground to stand on if you were to say Loria isn't cheap.

648471[/snapback]

I find this funny coming from a Chicagoan where the cheap owner reigns. :lol

648184[/snapback]

648206[/snapback]

648440[/snapback]

648465[/snapback]

648471[/snapback]

I find this funny coming from a Chicagoan where the cheap owner reigns. :lol

648608[/snapback]

Your making my point for me B4P.

I know a cheap owner when I see one :lol