Smackdown to be cancelled

geemoney

Fox should try to get them. If Smackdown is live, they would get more ratings.

669176[/snapback]

Problem is west coast affiliates won't be able to show it in primetime.

8 pm Eastern

7 pm Central

6 pm Mountain

5 pm Pacific

Times for TV Primetime are 8et/7ct and 8pt/7mt

669182[/snapback]

The West Coast will get the tapings then like regular shows on TV.

Is Raw live on the West coast though?

WWE could try to get back on USA...in fact, when they were negotiating a new deal for Spike TV, USA was interested. I doubt they could get back on a broadcast network (the stigma of pro wrestling isn't going to make networks line up for bidding). They get high ratings, but the network doesn't make much from ads because the rate is so low.

Another big factor is many UPN affiliates in big cities have to bump Smackdown for Baseball, Basketball, Hockey, or other local stuff.

Maybe the WB could pick it up...but then again that would mean Time Warner would have to get involved.

I think Spike is the likely option outside of ESPN or TNT/TBS doing something crazy.

THE WHOLE TRUTH ON THE UPN-SMACKDOWN SITUATION WITH NEW FACTS

by Dave Scherer @ 2:28:00 PM on 1/27/2005

I spoke with Susan Young, the author of The Oakland Tribune piece that Mike Johnson reported on yesterday, concerning Viacom's Leslie Moonves' comments about Smackdown's future on UPN. She told me that the quote in the paper was 100 percent accurate but that she incorrectly wrote that Smackdown's contract would not be renewed when she should have written that it may not be renewed. The quote took place when Moonves was talking about Smackdown's future on UPN last week. Moonves said that he didn't know how much time was left on the contract and asked UPN President Dawn Ostroff, who was also at the interview with him. She told him it expired in September of 2006. He then said he wasn't sure of the future of WWE on UPN and said it may not be renewed, with Young saying the tone of his voice and demeanor implying that it would not be.

He then issued this quote, about Smackdown. "It still makes us a decent amount of money," said Moonves. "When you think about the powerhouses of CBS and NBC on Thursday night, it's great counter-programming. (But) it doesn't fit into the overall (programming) strategy."

The interesting part of this story is that people close to Moonves have told me that he is a very calculated businessman and doesn't say things unless there is a reason for it. Transcripts of the session were logged and, according to three sources, the transcript of what was said made its way to WWE management last week, which many in the company feel was Moonves' intention all along. With WWE negotiating a new deal for their cable TV shows with Spike TV, which also falls under Viacom's corporate umbrella, a number of people I spoke with feel that Moonves very well may have been sending a message to WWE that the future of Smackdown on UPN could be directly tied to the cable package remaining on Spike. WWE has talked with other networks, including their former home at USA, about moving their programming when their deal expires.

To further the theory that Moonves' comments were calculated, UPN is aware of this story and contacted Young today asking only that her original story be changed to say that no decision has been made at this time on the future of Smackdown on UPN. Young did note to me that in the past, when matters were what he considered serious, Moonves called her personally to talk about things she had written whereas today, a lower level publicist contacted her and asked for the change.

My own take is that this was a very calculated move by Moonves, made in the midst of serious contract discussions with WWE. It's clear by the quote that he was sending WWE message. According to a number of WWE sources today, it was a message that has been received loud and clear.

http://www.pwinsider.com/ViewArticle.asp?id=7967&p=1

Everyone gets UPN .. even without basic cable. I think TNT should pick it up, I remember when TNT / TBS used to have WCW Nitro & Thunder on it ..

670829[/snapback]

Not every market has a UPN affiliate. Some are cable-only and others have none at all.

670922[/snapback]

Ya we don't get it at school either

671064[/snapback]

WDRL UPN 24 out of Roanoke and WRDC UPN 28 out of Raleigh are available over-the-air in Elon College, NC 27244 according to Zap2It.com

Time Warner's Burlington/Alamance County Lineup says WUPN - Cable Channel 2 is your UPN affiliate.

To everyone else: Sometimes your local WB or CBS may carry UPN programs.

The WB has more stations and better coverage. They also have 3 superstations (WPIX, KWGN, KTLA) to UPN's 2 (WWOR, WSBK)

671064[/snapback]

WDRL UPN 24 out of Roanoke and WRDC UPN 28 out of Raleigh are available over-the-air in Elon College, NC 27244 according to Zap2It.com

Time Warner's Burlington/Alamance County Lineup says WUPN - Cable Channel 2 is your UPN affiliate.

To everyone else: Sometimes your local WB or CBS may carry UPN programs.

The WB has more stations and better coverage. They also have 3 superstations (WPIX, KWGN, KTLA) to UPN's 2 (WWOR, WSBK)

671131[/snapback]

Ya, I could get it if I lived off campus, but for on campus for whatever reason we don't get it. Channel 2 is our "Elon Channel" which shows info on the school and whatnot. We just got WB on campus last year, and people are complaining big time about not getting UPN(don't ask me why not like anything good is on it)/

ppl still watch wrestling?

i thought the whole s*** died when they did the gayest thing ever merging wcw and wwf together.

a bunch of random nobodys fighting everynight. some mexican in tights or some wannabe white rapper.

same ol thing all the time. i miss the glory days of the real raw when only superstars fought and names like undertaker,stone cold,rock,mankind,hardy boys,dudley boys,those guys that did the worm,The Acolytes, etc.

FSN has TNA on it..

(FOX Sports Net, so no WWE on here)

669263[/snapback]

of course already having ECW didn't stop the WWF from going to TNN

676990[/snapback]

I don't think they both were on the same network at the same time .. I don't remember ECW on that channel atleast ..

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.