Polls closing in Iraq

MarlinFan10

It's about over, and pretty darn successful. 72% turnout reported a few hours ago, but that should go up. There were 9 attacks that killed 31 people, but the streets aren't exactly running red with blood. Results should be known in about 7 to 10 days.

Anyways, Fox News reported that when a boom was heard in Baghdad, voters at one polling place a large group of Iraqis shouted "We have no fear."

You gotta hand it to the Iraqi people, they go out and vote with a larger turnout than the US even though they have threats of attack. :whistle

It's about 60% of those able to vote that voted. In some Shiite araes the turnout was high as 95%. The total was brought down by the Sunni regions.

The insurgents trying to kill people while voting shows they aren't on the side of the Iraqis, or the Americans. Hopefully this will help dwindle any support they have left amongst the population.

That's is pretty damn good I think they said early numbers at around 8 million which isn't too bad. There were 13 million registered to vote. I think the population of the country is about 25 million. Even still its a start at least.

672713[/snapback]

yeah, and just under half of that 25 million is under the age of 18.

8 million is pretty damn good.

I just heard something very disturbing on the radio. One of the suicide bombers on Sunday was a mentally retarted child. These terrorists groups are sick. I hope they lose any support they have among Iraqis real soon. :thumbdown

673691[/snapback]

I just saw something very disturbing on the TV. The president on the free world is a chimp.

/flame on

Also, how do they know the kid was retarded? Seriously, you can't drop an IQ test on a corpse.

I just heard something very disturbing on the radio.? One of the suicide bombers on Sunday was a mentally retarted child.? These terrorists groups are sick.? I hope they lose any support they have among Iraqis real soon.? :thumbdown

673691[/snapback]

Also, how do they know the kid was retarded? Seriously, you can't drop an IQ test on a corpse.

673693[/snapback]

So it's okay for the terrorists to use this kid because we can't find any definitive proof the kid was mentally retarded?

I just heard something very disturbing on the radio. One of the suicide bombers on Sunday was a mentally retarted child. These terrorists groups are sick. I hope they lose any support they have among Iraqis real soon. :thumbdown

673691[/snapback]

673693[/snapback]

So it's okay for the terrorists to use this kid because we can't find any definitive proof the kid was mentally retarded?

673707[/snapback]

How old was this kid? And who said they know how old it is? I have a hard time believing they would rest their attack on the hands of a retarded 6 year old. And no its not right to kill anyone, kids or otherwise.

I hope they lose any support they have among Iraqis real soon

I dont think you even remotely understand the complexity of the actors involved and the people there and the many distinctions involved. The Iraqis are not one unitary foreign population nor are all the people of the middle east. They are a nation of individuals. I know thats hard to grasp when fed by Foxnews.

Your post tells me that its time that liberals grasp the individual choice economic theory that conservatives have clearly abandoned.

673691[/snapback]

673693[/snapback]

673707[/snapback]

he's arguing with you because of who you are, not because he disagrees that it's wrong.

/captain obvious

oh yeah, and it wasn't actually a retarded child. supposedly it was a retarded man.

Militants use 'retarded' bomber

AP, AFP

February 01, 2005

BAGHDAD: Militant groups might have recruited a mentally retarded man to carry out an election day suicide bombing at a Baghdad polling station that killed one person and injured 10 others, an Iraqi Interior Ministry official said yesterday.

Interior Ministry spokesman Colonel Adnan Abdul-Rahman said initial examinations of the suicide bomber's head, which landed on the roof of the polling station, and witness reports indicated the man was mentally retarded.

"They (terrorists) are using any means to harm people," Colonel Abdul-Rahman said.

"They have used donkey carts ... won't they use the mentally retarded?"

Terror groups have previously used animals in attacks on hotels and government installations.

Colonel Abdul-Rahman said insurgents might have chosen a mentally retarded bomber in an effort to bypass the intense security at the polls.

"I imagine this is how they think. That this person will not be searched and will be let in," he said.

The suicide bomber, who was believed to be Iraqi, blew himself up near a polling station in the Iskan neighbourhood, a poor area in northwest Baghdad about two hours after voting started.

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/commo...55E2703,00.html

I dont think you even remotely understand the complexity of the actors involved and the people there and the many distinctions involved. The Iraqis are not one unitary foreign population nor are all the people of the middle east. They are a nation of individuals.

673724[/snapback]

Iraq is always full of individuals who realize the insurgents are not on their side. Of course, my posts was that I hope the insurgents loose all popular support in Iraq, yet you find the need to somehow respond that I'm wrong in wanting the insurgents to loose support.

You don't want the insurgents to have support, do you? :plain

I dont think you even remotely understand the complexity of the actors involved and the people there and the many distinctions involved. The Iraqis are not one unitary foreign population nor are all the people of the middle east. They are a nation of individuals.

673724[/snapback]

Iraq is always full of individuals who realize the insurgents are not on their side. Of course, my posts was that I hope the insurgents loose all popular support in Iraq, yet you find the need to somehow respond that I'm wrong in wanting the insurgents to loose support.

You don't want the insurgents to have support, do you? :plain

673734[/snapback]

The insurgents dont have any popular support nor did they ever have it. Most people dont even know the reasons for the fighting there. But its a mistake to look to the people of Iraq as being connected to the success or failure of insurgency. The problem, when you take that approach, is that any subsequent failure ends up being put off on the Iraqi people as not wanting peace. I actually see it as the way the neocons will play this war off in the history books down the road. Blaming entire religions, cultures and nations made of people is usually a tactic to pass blame. Its whats going on now in people blaming Islam for all of these problems and its irrational.

The insurgents dont have any popular support nor did they ever have it. Most people dont even know the reasons for the fighting there. But its a mistake to look to the people of Iraq as being connected to the success or failure of insurgency. The problem, when you take that approach, is that any subsequent failure ends up being put off on the Iraqi people as not wanting peace. I actually see it as the way the neocons will play this war off in the history books down the road. Blaming entire religions, cultures and nations made of people is usually a tactic to pass blame. Its whats going on now in people blaming Islam for all of these problems and its irrational.

673794[/snapback]

I'm not blaming the Iraqi who walked past "You vote, you die" graffiti to vote. I believe that if the Iraqi people make it known throughout the world that they support the US efforts in their country, the insurgents will have nothing left to fight for. This process has already begun, and the US military has reason to believe the insurgency is weakening.

Hopefully, this will allow for a self-sustaining Iraq soon.