July 13, 200323 yr Now that the first half is over I thought we should have a topic dedicated to discussing what we liked, disliked, kinda liked, and things we think should change. I for one think that this first half has been great! We got read of Torborg, we made a move that benifitted us NOW instead 4 years from now, we are above .500, and the fans/press is starting to talk about you guys down there in S. Florida! I would really only like to see a few things change in the second half. For one I would like Almonza and Tejerrible gone that way Jack won't be tempted into bringing them against lefties and give up a game. I would also like to see Andy Fox get a little more time at short, now im not saying start him in from of AGon, Im saying put him in front of mordecai. I don't know if the Fish has what it takes to make a run, but I do know they have what it takes to stay in the race for the rest of the year. And hell they just might pull it out. Keep it up you guys.
July 13, 200323 yr Author Andy didn't do great last year, but at least he's done something. I have honestly never seen Mordecai do anything. Maybe I just don't watch the games he merrits being the second string SS.
July 13, 200323 yr well the only thing that i can say i totally dislike is the job that the lefty's in the bullpen have done. i also love the fact that torborg is gone. i am also very very suprised by what mike lowell has done this year. i am also very suprised that miguel cabrera is in the major leagues this early. i also hate the fact that a.j. burnett is out for the season (obviously) but overall after everything we went through our three best pitchers all out at the beginning of the season i think we are in a great position in this wild card race. AND I AM ABSOLUTELY ASTONISHED WHAT DONTRELLE WILLIS HAS DONE. 9-1 WITH A 2.08 ERA IN 13 STARTS.
July 13, 200323 yr Andy didn't do great last year, but at least he's done something. I have honestly never seen Mordecai do anything. Maybe I just don't watch the games he merrits being the second string SS. Gee, then i guess you missed yesterday's game ?
July 13, 200323 yr Author Yeah i tried to watch yesterdays game. I guess I was turned off by the 85 runs that the Expos scored and the 1 that the Marlins scored. Bottom line I watched Levon pitch yesterday and whatever Mordecai did was probably do to the fact that Levon was on cruise control with a sort of here it is hit approach.
July 13, 200323 yr This is our State of the Team Press Release. Very promising! :thumbup 07/11/2003 12:49 PM ET A first half filled with triumphs Marlins make strides on and off the field MIAMI -- In addition to surging on the field as Major League Baseball arrives at the Midsummer All-Star Break, the Florida Marlins have scored significant increases in attendance, television ratings and corporate partnerships in 2003, according to the club' mid-season business report. Through 43 home dates, Marlins attendance is up 33 percent from 2002 while local television ratings of Marlins games on Fox Sports Net have increased 15 percent from last season. "Most of the credit for our increased success goes to the fans and our business partners who recognize the enjoyment and benefits of making South Florida truly a Major League market in many ways,� said Marlins' Owner Jeffrey Loria. "They are just as committed as we are to making this relationship a long-term success, and we greatly appreciate their support. We are going to continue to work hard to earn it." In addition to attendance and ratings increases, the Marlins increased the number of corporate partners from 25 to 77 companies. Main sponsors include Budweiser, Tropicana and Keyes Realty, which earn promotional benefits such as stadium signage and other recognition at the ballpark, messages on game broadcasts, player appearances, season tickets for employees and customers, and many more opportunities. "This year is our organization's first true opportunity to reconnect with our fans, the business community and all of South Florida," said Marlins President David Samson. "We still have a lot of work and long way to go, but the Marlins remain committed to a long successful relationship with South Florida, and it's extremely gratifying to see and report the positive progress with so many good people willing to 'get back in the game.'" The team's performance on the field -- climbing into the thick of the postseason race -- is a clear factor in enhanced support, but Samson gives a great deal of credit to all the members of the organization. "Customer service reps can't hit a John Smoltz fastball and our sales staff can't throw one past Barry Bonds, but they were working just as hard to make believers of our community even while the team was struggling on the field early in the season," Samson said. The Marlins also invested in an increased and innovative marketing campaign with numerous community-oriented events launched at the start of the 2003 season, as well as boosting support to the community through the club's non-profit foundation. This year the foundation will provide more than $1 million worth of support to South Florida charities, youth organizations and schools. For more information, visit www.floridamarlins.com or call 305-626-7400. Let's roar out of the gates and show everyone that the Marlins are for real and that South Florida is a baseball market!
July 13, 200323 yr Here's my word of advice.... If you are planning to go to any of the Cubs series games...get your tickets early in the week..... Terrace box and club level a are already gone for Sat. (you'll find single seats scattered)..... The buses that usually leave from Marlins in Miami, well the first 4 buses are full....there's a new package out now... $25 for ticket in club level b, bus transportation, and food.
July 13, 200323 yr I would love to see these players sent down: Almanza and Tejera These players called up for them: Alavarez and Sanders I know we would only have one lefty in our Pen but can we really call Almanza and Tejera lefties? I mean they have a hard time getting anyone out these days and I would like to see someone else get an opportunity to pitch. Alvarez pitched better than these 2 scrubs during his short stint in the bigs. Sanders can take Tejera's spot as being the long relief guy. I don't want to even compare these two it's a no brainer who is the better reliever. The second thing I would like to see is for Castro to move ahead of Redmond on the depth chart behind Ivan. Even though Redmond is one of my favorite players on this team we can't keep 3 catchers and should trade him away for some minor leaguers. With room on the roster call up A. Nunez from the Isotopes who is on fire right now in AAA. He has a solid arm and is a switch hitter.
July 13, 200323 yr Well i Liked how Jack McKeon Really manage this club. He did a good job coming in for Torborg. I would of love to have kept Arnesberg but rosenthal has done a good job with the pitchers. I also liked seeing mike lowell hit all those homers and make the all star team. DW has also been great for the fish and has really showed the other teams what he is about. WHAT i didnt like was how the Front Office treated AJ and burnett said they new his arm had problems. I also didnt like AJ or Beckett go on the DL. He has been our best pitcher untill Dontrelle came. Those are my Goods and Bads about the 1st half.
July 13, 200323 yr I would love to see these players sent down: Almanza and Tejera These players called up for them: Alavarez and Sanders I know we would only have one lefty in our Pen but can we really call Almanza and Tejera lefties? I mean they have a hard time getting anyone out these days and I would like to see someone else get an opportunity to pitch. Alvarez pitched better than these 2 scrubs during his short stint in the bigs. Sanders can take Tejera's spot as being the long relief guy. I don't want to even compare these two it's a no brainer who is the better reliever. The second thing I would like to see is for Castro to move ahead of Redmond on the depth chart behind Ivan. Even though Redmond is one of my favorite players on this team we can't keep 3 catchers and should trade him away for some minor leaguers. With room on the roster call up A. Nunez from the Isotopes who is on fire right now in AAA. He has a solid arm and is a switch hitter. You really dont know what your talking about, but Sanders does warrant a look. Almanza will stay up and is valuable whether you realize it or not. Alvarez is a scrub his ERA is over 6 at AAA.
July 13, 200323 yr Start using Castro and Foxy. Package Red & Mordy for the Juan Gone deal. That is all.
July 13, 200323 yr Toreborg SUXED, the team SUXED, AJ went out and i said "the season is OVA" fell 10 games under 500 i said to myself " half the team is going to be traded for prospects" than trader Jack came along, and the team woke up, i have questioned many of jacks pitching moves i dnt like how he uses Mark Redman way too much and lets go all deep he needs to be saved for the September Stretch Run. now getting Uggey is a good thing and all that means is pitching wont ahve to go so deep. Pudge had a great start than a bad middle but he made up for it with a nice ending of the 1st half. Mike great Start bad ending good to see a HR from him today. and Seabass continues to struggle back to typical SeaBass. 95 games ova and we are 3 games ova 500, if ya not happy with that! than you shouldnt call ya slef a fish fan
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.