Nazr Mohammed to Spurs and other deals

JMLinkinPark

Knicks land Rose, Taylor, draft picks

ESPN.com news services

New York Knicks-San Antonio Spurs-Houston Rockets: The Knicks are in the process of adding more big salaries to their roster.

Two league sources told ESPN Insider Chad Ford that New York has traded Nazr Mohammed and Jamison Brewer to the Spurs for Malik Rose and a first-round pick.

The Knicks also traded Vin Baker and Moochie Norris to the Rockets for Maurice Taylor and a first-round pick, Ford reports.

Once again, team president Isiah Thomas is willing to take back huge contracts to get more talent. In the Spurs deal, the Knicks are sending back $5.5 million in future salaries for the remaining four years, $27.3 million of Rose's contract.

In the Rockets deal, Thomas is sending back $8 million in future salaries and getting back $18 million in return. In total, the Knicks, who have the largest payroll in the league, will add an extra $32 million in future salaries.

For the Rockets, this trade was a salary dump and an effort to shore up a thin point-guard crop.

For the Spurs, not only did the clear $21 million in long term salary, they got another legit center in Mohammed ? something the team felt the desperately needed.

Golden State Warriors-Denver Nuggets: The Warriors traded forward Eduardo Najera and a No. 1 pick to the Nuggets for forwards Nikoloz Tskitishvili and Rodney White, league sources told ESPN Insider Chad Ford.

Milwaukee Bucks-Houston Rockets: The Bucks have agreed to a deadline-beating trade, but it doesn't involve Michael Redd.

Gaines

James

The Bucks traded guard Mike James and center Zendon Hamilton to the Houston Rockets on Thursday for guard Reece Gaines and two second-round picks.

The Rockets have coveted James all season for guard depth, and trading him would relieve Milwaukee of the $7.1 million left on James' contract after this season.

"Mike James is a talented point guard who gives us another offensive threat," Rockets general manager Carroll Dawson said. "We've been interested in Mike for some time now, and we really liked the defensive toughness that he brings."

The Bucks have been trying to trade Keith Van Horn and James this week in hopes of creating more financial flexibility to re-sign Redd this offseason.

Cleveland, according to league sources, is the Redd suitor feared most by Milwaukee, and the Cavaliers should have the salary-cap space in July to make the former Ohio State star a strong offer.

The NBA trade deadline is today at 3 p.m. ET.

James, a four-year veteran, appeared in 47 games for Milwaukee this season and averaged 11.4 points, 2.6 rebounds and 3.9 assists. He signed with the Bucks on Aug. 5 after playing for the NBA champion Pistons in 2004.

Hamilton averaged 3.2 points and 2.6 rebounds in 16 games this season.

Gaines, in his second season, has played in only 10 games with the Rockets, averaging 2.6 points and 1.1 rebounds.

Milwaukee will get the draft picks in 2006 and 2007.

Charlotte Bobcats-Cleveland Cavaliers: The Bobcats gained the first-round pick in the 2005 NBA Draft owned by Cleveland.When Charlotte acquired a first-round pick from Phoenix on June 22 through the expansion selection, the Cavaliers were permitted to keep the pick if it fell within certain draft positions. Cleveland has now removed all restrictions on the pick, giving the selection to the Bobcats.

Lots of activity. I still like Reece Gaines for some reason (although they got Mike James in that deal who I also like)...and Nazr Mohammed sucks royal wang, but at least the Spurs got rid of Rose's contract.

Not a bad deal by the Nuggets either. They gave up 2 talents, but 2 talents that haven't really panned out on a deep roster, and getting Najera, a banger and defensive player they could use, and a #1 pick is solid.

For all the big names traded today, the Mohammed trade seems to be the only one that matters at all.

I've never seen so many random big names being dealt from bad team to bad team.

694538[/snapback]

Id say the CWebb trade is pretty important.

694544[/snapback]

I suppose. In that the Kings probably got worse....

Doesn't change the fact that Philly isn't much of a threat to win the East.

For all the big names traded today, the Mohammed trade seems to be the only one that matters at all.

694538[/snapback]

694544[/snapback]

694591[/snapback]

No...but it makes them a legit 3 seed and probably an Eastern Conference finalist...and who knows what happens when they get that far.

Plus...the Heat have to be praying Shaq doesnt have any more hiccups now...because that is becoming a scary reality.

694538[/snapback]

694544[/snapback]

694591[/snapback]

No...but it makes them a legit 3 seed and probably an Eastern Conference finalist...and who knows what happens when they get that far.

Plus...the Heat have to be praying Shaq doesnt have any more hiccups now...because that is becoming a scary reality.

694603[/snapback]

Do you mean Eastern semifinalist? Cause I'd probably agree with you there. But Finalist? They're so far behind Detroit and Miami, it would take a major upset.

694538[/snapback]

694544[/snapback]

694591[/snapback]

694603[/snapback]

Do you mean Eastern semifinalist? Cause I'd probably agree with you there. But Finalist? They're so far behind Detroit and Miami, it would take a major upset.

694635[/snapback]

I did say Eastern in my post Mabdul.... :mischief

694538[/snapback]

694544[/snapback]

694591[/snapback]

694603[/snapback]

694635[/snapback]

I did say Eastern in my post Mabdul.... :mischief

694641[/snapback]

You said Eastern Conference Finalist. They'd have to beat Miami or Detroit to get there. What am I missing here?

Whatever, doesn't matter...

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.