Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

MarlinsBaseball.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Marlins renew Cabrera's contract

Featured Replies

It's only a matter of time before he gets a Pujols-like deal.

 

Cabrera renews: Left fielder Miguel Cabrera had his contract renewed on Wednesday, meaning every player on the 40-man roster is signed.

 

Cabrera, who turns 22 in April, is under club control this year and next before becoming eligible for arbitration after the 2006 season.

 

An All-Star in his first full season, Cabrera belted 33 homers and drove in 112 runs a year ago. He had his contract renewed at about $370,000.

 

"I know my position as a second-year player in the big leagues," Cabrera said. "I'm happy. That's it."

 

Cabrera connected on a two-run homer off Joe Hanrahan on Wednesday.

 

Coming off a successful Winter League season in Venezuela, Cabrera says playing in the offseason helps his timing.

 

http://florida.marlins.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/...t=.jsp&c_id=fla

I expect us to lock him up long term next offseason. I also want us to lock up JP before he gets tempted by the Yankee's Dollar Signs, like our friend Pavano who said he would stay.

You can also add AJ to that list of players that need to be signed long term before the Empire gets thier hands on them.

I expect us to lock him up long term next offseason. I also want us to lock up JP before he gets tempted by the Yankee's Dollar Signs, like our friend Pavano who said he would stay.

700511[/snapback]

 

No reason to lock up Cabrera yet. He's under team control through 2009, and doesn't become arbitration eligible until 2007. The FO could start thinking long term contracts during his arbitration years.

You can also add AJ to that list of players that need to be signed long term for the Empire gets thier hands on them.

700520[/snapback]

 

To have our best chance we need to get that done during the season.

An All-Star in his first full season, Cabrera belted 33 homers and drove in 112 runs a year ago. He had his contract renewed at about $370,000.

 

 

Not a bad raise...about $50K. He's making just a bit less than Dontrelle.

The Empire might not have a need for a starting pitcher next season. They have Wright, Pavano, Mussina, RJ, and Brown signed through 2006 (if I am not mistaken). Unless they move one of those guys, they just won't have room for AJ.

  • Author

I expect us to lock him up long term next offseason. I also want us to lock up JP before he gets tempted by the Yankee's Dollar Signs, like our friend Pavano who said he would stay.

700511[/snapback]

 

 

JP is different than Pavano. Pavs never seemed happy here, I can't even remember him smiling after winning the WS.

  • Author

The Empire might not have a need for a starting pitcher next season. They have Wright, Pavano, Mussina, RJ, and Brown signed through 2006 (if I am not mistaken). Unless they move one of those guys, they just won't have room for AJ.

700600[/snapback]

You can't forget the RedSox who are the new evil empire.

I think most of the Marlins players enjoy playing in South Florida... it's a great place to play baseball if you're young, famous, and rich. What I think would make them really stay is if more fans showed up to games... if the Marlins got like 30K per game on a consistent basis. Oh, and competitive salaries help too. I really think that if the Marlins can get a stadium, make some money, and get people to the games, players will want to play here rather than places like New York or Boston.

The Empire might not have a need for a starting pitcher next season.? They have Wright, Pavano, Mussina, RJ, and Brown signed through 2006 (if I am not mistaken).? Unless they move one of those guys, they just won't have room for AJ.

700600[/snapback]

You can't forget the RedSox who are the new evil empire.

700606[/snapback]

 

That's true. We'll see. I think AJ would rather play in Florida if he got paid about the same money in both places.

This might sound silly to some people, but if I were the owner of this club I would be giving juicy bonuses to guys like Cabs. I know it isn't in a contract anywhere, but maybe throwing the guy a little something extra for having a great season would create motivation and loyalty. I remeber Loria gave Mckeon a Mercedes.....things like that go a long way I think.

The Empire might not have a need for a starting pitcher next season. They have Wright, Pavano, Mussina, RJ, and Brown signed through 2006 (if I am not mistaken). Unless they move one of those guys, they just won't have room for AJ.

700600[/snapback]

 

they didn't have a need for a shortstop, either...

The Empire might not have a need for a starting pitcher next season. They have Wright, Pavano, Mussina, RJ, and Brown signed through 2006 (if I am not mistaken). Unless they move one of those guys, they just won't have room for AJ.

700600[/snapback]

There's a difference between what the yankees need and what the yankees sign to a 10 year, $500 million deal.

I'm sorry I feel this way , But I have to say it . There is not one player on the Marlins or any other team in the MLB that will not go where the money is . I dont care how loyal you think they are , If any one of these players get a larger contract with another team they are gone .

None of this carebear tellytubbys BS that they love it here and they would stay just to play in a city they like for less money happens anymore . I for one am disgusted by this but thats how things are in the big leagues . :thumbdown

I'm sorry I feel this way , But I have to say it . There is not one player on the Marlins or any other team in the MLB that will not go where the money is . I dont care how loyal you think they are , If any one of these players get a larger contract with another team they are gone .

None of this carebear tellytubbys BS that they love it here and they would stay just to play in a city they like for less money happens anymore . I for one am disgusted by this but thats how things are in the big leagues . :thumbdown

700678[/snapback]

 

 

That's not necessarily true... Cabs took a smaller signing bonus to play with the Marlins. He could have made like 700K more had he signed with the Dodgers or Yankees. The Marlins were his favorite team, and he wanted to play for them... he also realized he had a better shot at making it to the Bigs with the Marlins than any other team. Belisario is the same way... he rejected the Cubs' offer of 350K and instead took the Marlins' offer of like 100K. Craig Biggio took a smaller offer from the Astros during his first free agency in 1995... the Rockies had offered him quite a bit more.

 

I think if the Marlins make a competitive offer, players like Miggy will return to the team. He really does feel loyalty to the team, and his family in Venezuela is always trying to recruit players for the Marlins. Some players do have loyalty (to a point, obviously), and Miggy is an example of that. :thumbup

The Empire might not have a need for a starting pitcher next season.? They have Wright, Pavano, Mussina, RJ, and Brown signed through 2006 (if I am not mistaken).? Unless they move one of those guys, they just won't have room for AJ.

700600[/snapback]

 

they didn't have a need for a shortstop, either...

700657[/snapback]

 

You can't move AJ to another position...

The Empire might not have a need for a starting pitcher next season.? They have Wright, Pavano, Mussina, RJ, and Brown signed through 2006 (if I am not mistaken).? Unless they move one of those guys, they just won't have room for AJ.

700600[/snapback]

You can't forget the RedSox who are the new evil empire.

700606[/snapback]

 

That's true. We'll see. I think AJ would rather play in Florida if he got paid about the same money in both places.

700614[/snapback]

I don't know about that. Florida is a great place to live and play. But Burnett seems to detest this organization. You'd think he would have given that grudge up when the club paid him close to $6 million over two years to rehabilitate.

The Empire might not have a need for a starting pitcher next season.? They have Wright, Pavano, Mussina, RJ, and Brown signed through 2006 (if I am not mistaken).? Unless they move one of those guys, they just won't have room for AJ.

700600[/snapback]

 

they didn't have a need for a shortstop, either...

700657[/snapback]

 

You can't move AJ to another position...

700680[/snapback]

 

 

Move him to the Bullpen :mischief2 :shifty

The Empire might not have a need for a starting pitcher next season. They have Wright, Pavano, Mussina, RJ, and Brown signed through 2006 (if I am not mistaken). Unless they move one of those guys, they just won't have room for AJ.

700600[/snapback]

There's another 30 teams out there, I'm sure somone can use AJ besides us

I'm sorry I feel this way , But I have to say it . There is not one player on the Marlins or any other team in the MLB that will not go where the money is . I dont care how loyal you think they are , If any one of these players get a larger contract with another team they are gone .

None of this carebear tellytubbys BS that they love it here and they would stay just to play in a city they like for less money happens anymore . I for one am disgusted by this but thats how things are in the big leagues . :thumbdown

700678[/snapback]

 

 

That's not necessarily true... Cabs took a smaller signing bonus to play with the Marlins. He could have made like 700K more had he signed with the Dodgers or Yankees. The Marlins were his favorite team, and he wanted to play for them... he also realized he had a better shot at making it to the Bigs with the Marlins than any other team. Belisario is the same way... he rejected the Cubs' offer of 350K and instead took the Marlins' offer of like 100K. Craig Biggio took a smaller offer from the Astros during his first free agency in 1995... the Rockies had offered him quite a bit more.

 

I think if the Marlins make a competitive offer, players like Miggy will return to the team. He really does feel loyalty to the team, and his family in Venezuela is always trying to recruit players for the Marlins. Some players do have loyalty (to a point, obviously), and Miggy is an example of that. :thumbup

700679[/snapback]

 

I thought he signed with us because he is good friends with Sea Bass

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.