Does Moving Luis Down Make Sense??

I know moving Luis down is usually what Jack does when the offense is underperforming, but to me it doesn't make much sense. Luis and JP have been getting on base the first few games, that has not been the problem. The problem has been our big guys hitting into double plays and not getting clutch hits.

Luis is an ideal top of the order guy, even moreso than JP IMO. Luis never goes through a real slump because he is always taking walks. He is slumping with the bat right now, but his OBP is probably right around .350. JP is great, but he doesn't work pitchers as much and he doesn't walk too much either.

The one good thing about moving Luis down is that it gives a better chance for the bottom of the lineup to produce some runs. He almost acts as a second leadoff hitter for the bottom of the lineup. We'll run into problems however if he is up a lot in RBI situations.

All in all, I don't like the move too much, especially when JP and Luis are doing their jobs. It gives our lineup a different look, but those two at the top of the linuep at the very least make the first inning tough for pitchers. I say leave them up there.

But the problem is that wih two leadoff guys at the top, the most damage they can do it get two singles. And you don't have to watch baseball long to realize teams don't often string 3 or 4 hits together, no matter how good the offense. So by the time Migs or Carlos gets up you are just begging for a double play.

Also it is good to have some power at the 2 spot so you can go 1st to 3rd. The power is also good there because who ever hits there will get pitches to hit, being infront of Miggy,Carlos and Lowell, you don't want to walk the #2 guy, especially if Pierre gets on. So you can score a cheap homer there once in a while with a power hitter there.

I agree with the point that power is good in the 2 hole. It's nice to have someone who can take advantage of the fastballs, but then what do we do with Luis? Having him hit 7th works out great when he's up with nobody on, but when he starts getting on in RBI situations he may be a liability. His hitting style is not ideal for driving in runs, a significant percentage of his hits never make it out of the infield. When his hits do make it to the outfield, the outfielders are playing so shallow that it's impossible for our hitters to take more than one base. It worked out well last night, but I think we'll see a lot of times this year where it hurts us more than it helps us.

It does add some speed and a good patient bat to the bottom of the lineup. And PhishPhan is right. The redundancies in the lineup are not as productive as they may appear to the eye. Atleast compared to giving a quality power hitter more at bats from being higher in the order.

But I think Jack picked the two batters incorrectly. Right now, Luiy is our most effective leadoff man. He might be the best all the time, but we've had that discussion before. Anyway.. with his injury JP is limited from the role, especially on the bases. Also the 2-spot is generally used to bust someone out of a slump. Why? Because they see a lot of good pitches from the spot. Enc hasn't been a slump. If anyone it's been Alex Gonzalez and our middle or the order hitters not named Delgado. Cabrera and Lowell exploded last night while LoDuca has been relatively impatient and not made the best contact with the bat. Oddly enough LoDuca has been a pretty good #2/#3 hitter in his career. Not that he wouldn't make a fine #6, but all things considered I would think he would have been moved into the role. Him or Alex who also has done well from the #2 hole in the past.