Hardest Position to play

Guest Juanky

Guest Juanky

Personally having caught for 5 years and spreading myself around the diamond for the 7 or so other years I've played, I can say catcher is by far the most difficult. You have to call the gameand in doing so you have to know the opposing hitters and know situational strategy to know what to call and when, you have to worry about the runners on the basepaths, you have to make sure to keep your pitcher in check and that everyone on your team is in position, and if you mess up one little thing on defense the consequences are worse than at other positions since runners can move up or score and the same batter bats.

Oh yeah, and you have to crouch for nine innings.

Guest Fritz

Catcher because you take a ridiculous beating, you have to wear all that gear, and you're squatting for nine damn innings. Then on top of that you gotta call a good game.

Shortstop.

And I say this only because any time you have a game in little league, when there is a great discrepancy in talent level...where does the best athlete always get put?

746409[/snapback]

do you know why that is?

not necessarily because of the 'skill' it takes to play shortstop, but because 95% of little league hitters pull the ball and since the great majority are righthanded your best player will naturally play short as they will get the most chances.

why do you think the best glove plays left field generally in slow pitch softball.

Shortstop.

And I say this only because any time you have a game in little league, when there is a great discrepancy in talent level...where does the best athlete always get put?

746409[/snapback]

do you know why that is?

not necessarily because of the 'skill' it takes to play shortstop, but because 95% of little league hitters pull the ball and since the great majority are righthanded your best player will naturally play short as they will get the most chances.

why do you think the best glove plays left field generally in slow pitch softball.

746564[/snapback]

Well, if catcher were so damn important and difficult to play, why does it seem that in little leage (I only go back to this because once you reach a higher level, people become "specialized" in one position and know the in's and out's pretty well) the catcher is the kid who fills his glove with ants by the third inning. Short-stop is hard to play, in high-school at good programs, the scouts all look at the SS because that's where the best athlete always plays (look up stories on Scott Rolen playing third in highschool despite pleas from his coach to switch to short).

Catcher's the most important position on the team because of the game calling and defensive aspect of it, but Short-Stop is without a doubt harder to play, and if it's not, why do people like Rey Ordonez, Mike Bordick etc. get to the major league level if they can't hit worth a damn...because it's that hard to find people who can play shortstop so well, and it's such a critical position.

Shortstop.

746409[/snapback]

do you know why that is?

746564[/snapback]

Well, if catcher were so damn important and difficult to play, why does it seem that in little leage (I only go back to this because once you reach a higher level, people become "specialized" in one position and know the in's and out's pretty well) the catcher is the kid who fills his glove with ants by the third inning. Short-stop is hard to play, in high-school at good programs, the scouts all look at the SS because that's where the best athlete always plays (look up stories on Scott Rolen playing third in highschool despite pleas from his coach to switch to short).

Catcher's the most important position on the team because of the game calling and defensive aspect of it, but Short-Stop is without a doubt harder to play, and if it's not, why do people like Rey Ordonez, Mike Bordick etc. get to the major league level if they can't hit worth a damn...because it's that hard to find people who can play shortstop so well, and it's such a critical position.

746582[/snapback]

You made some good points.Yes the best athlete on the field is regulary the ss or 2b but the most important is the C pos.Like you said guys that cant hit have made it to the bigs playing SS but the same can be said about C's.How many great htting C's are there.Also usually the back-up Catcher never hits there weight.So IMO Catcher is still the hardest Pos. to play and also you have to have great understanding of the game and SS and Cf,2B are the best athletes on the field.

Shortstop.

746409[/snapback]

do you know why that is?

746564[/snapback]

746582[/snapback]

because in little league, you dont really have to call a game as a catcher.

mike bordick was a good hitter at one point, i dont get where you throw bordick in with ordonez, who i believe scouts saw as having a good bat at one point or another.