Ricky Williams will be reporting to Dolphins camp

Accord

Agent: Ricky will report to camp

Leigh Steinberg, the agent for Ricky Williams, said the running back 'definitely' will attend Dolphins training camp in July. Williams, however, likely will report a few days late to avoid a hefty suspension.

BY MIKE PHILLIPS

[email protected]

Ricky Williams isn't just thinking about returning to the Dolphins.

He's planning on it.

Williams' agent, Leigh Steinberg, said Monday that Williams will ''definitely'' be in Dolphins training camp in July.

''He's planning on playing for the Dolphins,'' Steinberg said. ``This thing has to be a step-by-step process, and obviously there are details that need to be worked out, but we have been in contact with coach [Nick] Saban and the Dolphins over the past week and informed them that he is excited and planning on playing for the Dolphins.

``The details and the process are in their court. But let me say that I am optimistic about the process. He's planning on returning.''

Williams probably won't be there when camp begins July 24, but that's only because of a technicality.

When Williams retired in July, he was in violation of the NFL's substance-abuse policy and subject to a one-year suspension. If he returns within a year of the day he retired, he would still be subject to the one-year ban. If he returns after that date, he will be subject to a four-game suspension.

There is some confusion as to when Williams retired, but according to the NFL, the date is July 27. The Dolphins open training camp July 24.

It would be difficult to imagine anyone holding it against Williams if he doesn't show up until July 28.

Steinberg said he has been in contact with Williams in the past months, and recently said Williams was ''excited'' about the idea of returning.

Now he seems certain.

There is still a matter of $8.6 million the Dolphins say Williams owes them for breach of contract, but both sides have ample time to negotiate a new deal.

Williams left the NFL and spent most of the past year studying holistic health and yoga in California and India.

After attending the California College of Ayurveda, where he studied to be a Holistic Heath practitioner from October through March, Williams left for India, where he spent a month studying yoga at the world-renowned Sivananda Yoga Center.

Williams now is a certified yoga teacher.

Steinberg said both institutions are opposed to using drugs or alcohol to alter consciousness.

Williams returned to the United States three weeks ago and began expressing an interest in returning to football. He has lost weight and is now between 195 and 200 pounds, but Steinberg said Williams plans on being ready for the upcoming season.

''I've been in constant contact with Ricky,'' Steinberg said. ``He's in great shape. Yoga is very strenuous. Yoga gets you in shape.

``He may be at 200 now, but he's got nine or 10 weeks before camp begins, and he's already started lifting weights. I'm sure he'll be back at 220 to 230.''

http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald/sport...ns/11722488.htm

He wont be 195 pounds when he plays...I dont think the animosity is as great towards RW as you may think...there is a new regime in town...as long as RW can contribute (remember he was the best running back in the NFL in 2003)...Im sure people can forgive and move on...no sense in holding grudges when youre looking to move forward

How much Muscle weight can he possibly gain by september?

10, 15 lbs?

He's still way under.

781671[/snapback]

Its October due to his 4 game suspension...so he has 5 months to gain 20 pounds and he has already begun lifting...you could hate RW all you want...but if he can return to being the RW of old with Ronnie Brown, the Dolphins running attack could be unstoppable

How much Muscle weight can he possibly gain by september?

10, 15 lbs?

He's still way under.

781671[/snapback]

Its October due to his 4 game suspension...so he has 5 months to gain 20 pounds and he has already begun lifting...you could hate RW all you want...but if he can return to being the RW of old with Ronnie Brown, the Dolphins running attack could be unstoppable

781678[/snapback]

I don't know where you got 20 pounds from, but his playing weight in miami was 235, so he has to gain 40 by october (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2005/writers/michael_silver/05/20/silver.ricky/). That's not humanly possible no matter how hard you work. Ask our resident trainer Passion/Gooch. You cannot gain 40 pounds of only muscle by october.

And there's no way he's going to be accepted with open arms when he comes back. This guy quit on his team. Yes, if he goes out and produces it will soften the blow, but it sure aint going to eliminate it.

Jason Taylor's gonna want out.

So's half the team.

Nobody likes him.

Just gonna be a disruption and not nearly himself, especially playing at 195.

Trade him for SOMETHING while you can.

Better for him, better for the dolphins.

781663[/snapback]

Jason Taylor won't want out and neither does half the team.

Nobody like's him....TRUE...Most fans that is. As long as he can contribute to putting WINS on the board, then will be great.

He won't be a disruption because with Saban in charge, the media won't be even getting close to the locker room to stir things up.

Trade him for SOMETHING while you can?

High possibility that won't happen. FOR NOW. If Saban can trust him and work with him and get him to come back then I will forgive him. Anything Saban thinks is good for the team I will think is good. I believe in our new coach. If Ricky can get back to his old form, than that is great. If not he's done, with football. More than likely he won't be traded because nobody will want to take a chance with him. Not even Alexander, Edge, or Henry were able to be traded for at least a 2nd or 3rd I believe. He will most likely finish his contract with the Dolphins and either retire or be signed by another team if trusted. He can be a mentor for Ronnie Brown ON THE FIELD. What goes on OFF THE FIELD I dont care. As long as he isnt getting into trouble. Which I believe he won't because he will be under radar by the NFL. When Ricky is done, Ronnie can take over full duty. I personally want him back in uniform. A Fins uniform.

i can't stand that s.o.b

TOUCHDOWN RICKY WILLIAMS..............YEA BABY I LOVE THAT GUY

that's how this town is going to react

781696[/snapback]

That's how it is. No matter what town. Look at New England. They have different players every year. They come and go. As long as a team gets WINS, everything is OK.

Reasons Why Ricky Will Not Be Successful:

1. He's not in shape.

Not a lot to say about this one. If you're 40 pounds belowe your playing weight, you're not going to have nearly as much strength or power as before. Yes, he'll put some back, but no way he's sniffing 235. 220 at the highest.

2. He doesn't care.

He's not coming back for "the love of the game." You don't walk away to go o a world tour and smoke weed if you love what you're doing. This guy owes some serious money and has a family to support and that is the only reason he's coming back.

3. He's hated inside and outside the lockerroom.

The fans hate him, we know that for a fact. None of us are "in the know" with any dolphin players or anything, so I can only state my opinion and what I think is going through his teammates heads. This guy quit on you. Your whole team revolved around this guy, and he just left you arbitrarily. He didn't leave you for another team or to win or for more money. He left to do weed and learn fricken indian medicine or something. I don't care if you're Softy McSoft, that's gotta make you feel a little animosity towards the guy.

Guest Fritz

If you think Ricky has an trade value as it stands, you're an idiot. We'd be lucky to get a late 7th round pick for him. The dude has to prove he's recommitted to football in order for teams to have any interest in him. If he puts up one or two goods season with us, he'll have value, but as of now, we'd be better off trading a 7th string OL.

Yeah, I'm one of those people who said I would never take Ricky back...but I'll take him back. Maybe I have no backbone, whatever. I'm free to change my mind.

Fact is, the man has more value to the team as a football player than he does in a trade. I'm not excited about an additional 6th round choice. But i would like to see Ricky contribute.

Its a good point that his heart might not be in it, and if thats the case then I don't want him around. So, we'll just have to see.

If Ricky does everything he's supposed to do, if he practices hard, says the right things, etc....if there's still problems in the locker room, then the blame will no longer rest on Ricky. It'll be the fault of the guys who can't put their personal s*** aside and just play some ball like they're being paid to do.

The Dolphins are in a sad state right now. Only can go up from here. If Ricky returns I want him watched like a Mormon. They need to make sure there are no relapses or changes of heart again.

Jason Taylor and the rest can put a sock in it because they won less games last year than Arizona. That is sad!

Is a 7th round pick something?

Yes.

The dolphins do not want a quitter.

He'll only hurt the chemistry big time.

They have depth at RB.

Get rid of him.

If he reports, I think you could get a 6th for him. I'm sure denver would take him. :plain

Yeah, I'm one of those people who said I would never take Ricky back...but I'll take him back. Maybe I have no backbone, whatever. I'm free to change my mind.

Fact is, the man has more value to the team as a football player than he does in a trade. I'm not excited about an additional 6th round choice. But i would like to see Ricky contribute.

Its a good point that his heart might not be in it, and if thats the case then I don't want him around. So, we'll just have to see.

If Ricky does everything he's supposed to do, if he practices hard, says the right things, etc....if there's still problems in the locker room, then the blame will no longer rest on Ricky. It'll be the fault of the guys who can't put their personal s*** aside and just play some ball like they're being paid to do.

781710[/snapback]

Agreed.

Those who still have a grudge against him in the locker room need to get over it. Its FOOTBALL. You play to WIN!

He'll be able to get back to his playing weight.

781714[/snapback]

I doubt he'll be there at any point this year. Highly.

I'd be surprised if he broke 225.

781717[/snapback]

You will be :)

781718[/snapback]

You really think he's gonna be at 235 by october?

Have you ever weight trained for an extended period of time?

781714[/snapback]

781717[/snapback]

781718[/snapback]

781719[/snapback]

No I haven't honestly. But I am quite aware that gaining will be a lot easier than losing weight.

781714[/snapback]

781717[/snapback]

781718[/snapback]

781719[/snapback]

No I haven't honestly. But I am quite aware that gaining will be a lot easier than losing weight.

781723[/snapback]

:confused

Maybe gaining fat. Not muscle.