Leiter's demote and emote

Flag Man

I was impressed with Leiter's reaction to "demotion" to the Bull-Pen. I didn't hear any crap or whining. (And for weeks I've argued he should be in the Pen as the Coach and occasional middle reliever.)

He accepted with Class.

Now with Beckett shelved a while (?), FO has to spend big bucks or perpetuate the past by bringing up Minors who are not ready.

I think the FO is about to do something dramatic. I hope that doesn't include signing others' discards. Positive action requires actually giving up something in a trade to get something of value.

I would rather give Leiter another chance if a significant roster TRADE is not available.

I was impressed with Leiter's reaction to "demotion" to the Bull-Pen. I didn't hear any crap or whining. (And for weeks I've argued he should be in the Pen as the Coach and occasional middle reliever.)

He accepted with Class.

Now with Beckett shelved a while (?), FO has to spend big bucks or perpetuate the past by bringing up Minors who are not ready.

I think the FO is about to do something dramatic. I hope that doesn't include signing others' discards. Positive action requires actually giving up something in a trade to get something of value.

I would rather give Leiter another chance if a significant roster TRADE is not available.

812149[/snapback]

I concur...for some reason I have confidence in Al. I think starting on the road in a critical situation will result in some quality starts. I'm hoping for the best.

:thumbup

Lieter is a long time verteran. He knows that this game is about production and helping your team out. I think 10 years ago Lieter would not be as graceful w/ his demotion. He knows he's throwing crap out there and it's not helping his ball club.

As for taking Beckett's spot. My feeling is that you might just need to use Lieter on a short leash. I think if you throw some AAA or AA pitcher into starting against a good hitting team such as the Angels (and Vlad) you might just ruin his fragile psyche. And plus, "Road Lieter" is much better than "Home Lieter". And these 1-2 starts would be on the road.

So, FlagMan, what do we have of value to give up? The obvious answer in Inky. He has stats, but we all know he's limited. Maybe word has gotten around about his effort & attitude, and it can't be ignored that he has bounnced from DET to Cin to Fla to LA to Fla in his short career.

OK, I talked myself out of it. Inky stays - so who (of real value) goes?

if we cannot trade for a quality starter, then we have to start leiter unless we want some crappy minor league? player to start

812156[/snapback]

The Minor Leaguers are not crappy. They are just not ready. A lesson the FO has been hard-pressed to learn.

812157[/snapback]

ie. Logan Kensing

So, FlagMan, what do we have of value to give up? The obvious answer in Inky. He has stats, but we all know he's limited. Maybe word has gotten around about his effort & attitude, and it can't be ignored that he has bounnced from DET to Cin to Fla to LA to Fla in his short career.

OK, I talked myself out of it. Inky stays - so who (of real value) goes?

812193[/snapback]

Since you asked... Enc and Treanor and maybe a prospect if we're getting a quality Starter (and out from under Enc's salary.) And bring up Willingham.

I don't think amybody takes Inky, unless we pay his salary and throw in a value prospect (like Stokes). Even then, we get nothing better than IV back.

We just gotta buckle down til Ishy comes back (circa 7/14), and somehow squeeze about 4 starts out of Leiter/Olsen?/OtherProspects. And hope Beckett heals quickly.

We'll be waiting for weeks. And there's no guarentee that Valdez will be effective. There never has been.

And, again in a few weeks, Alfonseca should be back. But, again, no guarentees.

We're like children waiting for Christmas and unprepared for our toys to arrive broken.

How much time will Aguila need to make it to the majors? Is he capable of starting next year? If so, then Encarnacion is tradeable.

812373[/snapback]

Aguila may never start in the majors, except on the short side of a platoon. A capable fill-in and definetly someone you want on a major league bench. He's too old to cash in on his athleticism like some others *cough*Enc*cough*. Hermida is the heir apparent in RF, has been for 3 years.