Just in case you can't get enough of trade talk...

Marlins related questions from the ESPN chats this morning:

Buster Olney:

Zach (Nashua, NH): Buster, What is the Yankees reluctance to trade 3B Eric Duncan? With all of the prospect trades they have made over the past 10 years or so, I would think this would be one of the least consequential, since they already have Arod Jeter and Cano manning the infield positions. Couldn't they trade Duncan for a good centerfielder (like Juan Pierre) or a good pitcher (like Guardado or Burnett)? Thanks

Buster Olney: Zach: The baseball folks (Cashman, Michael) want to stop the practice of trading their top prospects; they feel they need to get young and get cheaper, and internally, they believe Duncan is going to be a monster power hitter eventually, whether he plays first or the outfield in the big leagues. Now, it's always possible they will deal him, but they really, really want to hang onto him, and I bet that the only guy who might be a lure for them to trade Duncan would be Billy Wagner. He might be the only real impact player who hits the market between now and the end of the month, because let's face it, if the Yankees got Wagner as a set-up guy for Rivera, they'd be in a great position. (By the way, Wagner's not on the market yet, based on what I heard over the weekend). Without getting an impact guy in return, however, I bet they keep him.

Bryan (Rockville): Buster...the Baltimore Sun is reporting that the Orioles are close to getting A.J. Burnett and that an announcement could come later today, a couple of days after it was reported he was going to the Red Sox. Where do you see him going and in what deal? Thanks.

Buster Olney: Bryan: That's what I heard last night, too, that Baltimore was getting close on the deal -- and the Marlins' lost weekend probably accelerated things, because Florida needs a shakeup. I've been ripping the Orioles for weeks about not doing something, so give them credit for pulling the trigger on a deal. Burnett is not great, he's not a sure-thing-absolutely-will-make-an-impact guy, and it may be that the Orioles wind up paying double for him -- absorbing Mike Lowell's contract, trading Hayden Penn, and then giving Burnett a $40 million extension (that's the market value of guys like him now, four years at $10 million per), but at least they're trying to give themselves a shot. Maybe Lowell will be a better fit with the Orioles, playing in the smaller ballpark, rather than cavernous Florida. By the way, I'm not sure where the Red Sox stuff was originally reported, but all weekend, Boston people were saying they weren't in it, so I don't know how much stock I'd put in the notion that they were close...

MarlinFan, Aventura, FL: BUSTER: ... in todays local paper it says: ... "The White Sox, Twins and Orioles have been identified as possible landing spots for Lowell. ... Sending Lowell and Burnett to Baltimore is NOT a good fit anymore as the Orioles now decided right-hander Daniel Cabrera was off limits. ... The White Sox put together an attractive package for Burnett and Lowell with Jose Contreras, reliever Damaso Marte and either prospect Brian Anderson or Brandon McCarthy." ... A much better deal for the Marlins. YOUR THOUGHTS ABOUT THIS, BUSTER??? Thanks!

Buster Olney: A White Sox person I know said Saturday he thought they were right in the thick of this... I haven't made calls on the deal this morning, but a Burnett deal does seem imminent, based on all the smoke flying out of South Florida. The Orioles are apparently trying to substitute Hayden Penn for Cabrera, and let's face it, he might be a better option for the Marlins than Contreras, who is up and down. But if they got Brandon McCarthy in the deal, maybe that would sway them. I haven't seen Anderson play, so I can't tell you much about him, other than what I've read...

Alex (D.C.): I'm lost on this Burnett move. After outrighting Leiter, trading AJ, and dealing with Beckett's blisters how are the Marlins going to put together a competitive pitching staff?

Buster Olney: Alex: You could make the argument they are a sinking ship, as they are comprised, and that it's time to start changing things before the season falls apart completely. And a trade of Lowell would set them up a little better, at the very least, for 2006, because of the reduced financial obligation.

Adam (Toronto, ON): There's been rumours of Burnett heading to the Jays to be re-united with his pitching coach that he has stated he would love to work with again. Wouldn't Chacin-Batista be a better offer then what the Orioles are offering?

Buster Olney: Adam: the Jays want no part of Burnett if they have to take Lowell, as well -- and over the weekend, that was the parameter that Florida was insisting upon.

Jayson Stark:

Barclay D. (Dartmouth, MA): Heard AJ Burnett could go to the Red Sox and get the a extention, if so what would the Sox give up and do they take on Mike Lowells contract?

Jayson Stark: I'm not sure where all those three-way rumors of Red Sox-Marlins-Padres came from, but there doesn't appear to be anything to that. The Orioles are now the favorites on Burnett because they've shown interest in taking on Mike Lowell and his contract. The Red Sox, White Sox, Yankees and Blue Jays are all still in this. But if Baltimore will take Lowell, this could get done in a hurry.

Phil (Baltimore): Where does Baltimore put Lowell, if traded? Do they out Mora in the outfiled to fill Bigbie's vacant spot (if traded)?

Jayson Stark: Exactly. Both teams would have to switch a bunch of pieces around. In Baltimore, Lowell would play third, and Mora would take Bigbie's spot. In Florida, Miguel Cabrera would move to third. And Bigbie and Jeff Conine would split time in left.

Chad (Nicollet, MN): Can the Twins find a hitter?

Jayson Stark: They're definitely shopping, especially at third base. But the two names out there don't fit real well. Looks as if Mike Lowell will be attached to the Burnett deal, which leaves the Twins out of that one. And I heard they weren't overly excited by Joe Randa, although they still might go in that direction if the price is right. But the Reds are pricing Randa as if he's Scott Rolen, so if that doesn't change, he'll stay right where he is.

matt (LA): what's going on with the Padres? Think they'll make any trades? What's up with Burroughs?

Jayson Stark: The Padres are doing their best to move Burroughs and Phil Nevin for next to nothing, but so far, they're getting nowhere. They've kicked the tires on a lot of these big names, starting with A.J. Burnett, but they've had trouble matching up. Kevin Towers always does something intelligent before the deadline, without messing with the fabric of his team. I don't see the Padres doing anything big, but they won't sit this out, either.

Steve Phillips:

Darren (Baltimore, Maryland): Whats the latest with Burnett? There is talk that the deal with Baltimore is all but done.

Steve Phillips: I like AJ as a kid. We had him with the Mets and traded him for Leiter. He has No. 1 stuff but pitches like a No. 4 starter. He's 42-44 in his career. If the Red Sox think they are getting a front-end starter, they really are not. Mike Lowell has struggled significantly this year. I'm not sure he would be a great upgrade over what they have. The Red Sox should just play Olerud a little more. Burroughs has struggled to hit for power of any sort and the Padres are so frustrated they are willing to give him up. Arroyo is not a far cy from Burnett. At least in their records. The Marlins are freeing up a lot of payroll in the deal that they could possibly improve themselves this year with some high priced players. The Sox might be looking at this as a solution but the Marlins would still need some bullpen help to make a run in the NL East.

Dave (Baltimore, MD): Steve I think the deal for Burnett is going to get done w/ Baltimore, so why did you keep stating earlier that the Sox were getting him?

Steve Phillips: I'm surprised the Orioles have interest .. they have previously avoided pitchers who have spent time on the DL in the past, unless they can do a full MRI and exam prior to a deal. Frank Wren, back in the mid 90s, got burned with Xavier Hernandez, without the deal being contingent on a physical. The Orioles tried to void the contract but failed and had to pay him even though he couldn't pitch. The Orioled has interest in Sele one year but he couldn't pass their physical. The Orioles officals I talked to expressed Angelos would have the same feelings about Burnett.

here is what I would do.

Send off Lowell to the Twins with half of next years salary for a good middle relief pitcher (perhaps their setup guy, forget his name offhand. I know they had 2 good ones right now rincon and the other one) and a middle prospect

They want a third baseman and this is the best one out there and they dont have to eat the salary this way fully for us.

I would then package AJ and Enc off together to be moved to the yanks for pavano and cash (pretty much most of next year's) along with a middle level prospect.

Now for the bats I would then spin off some of our young pitching to try to go after a good bat.. But, this is just me and doubt would happen for all of this. But it would solve all three of our problems.

A little off topic, but nice to see the Jason Schmidt trade rumors dying. Brian Sabean and the Giants' front office has said they don't how moving Schmidt makes the Giants better... We need him if we're going anywhere.. This season or next...

I wish I would start hearing some rumors about A.J being traded to San Francisco though.... =)

Guest Moneyball

:lol :lol :lol

Caller (Cub fan): Teams perform better in front of packed stadiums.

Boog: Marlin World Titles: 2 Cub World Titles: 0 since forever.

:lol :lol :lol

There?s a new rumor generated every minute, but A.J. Burnett remains with the Marlins at the moment. The New York Daily News claimed a deal with the Red Sox was done, but Peter Gammons, who is especially reliable when it comes to Boston, denied that rumor and says it?s between the Orioles and White Sox. If Mike Lowell is involved -- and it seems to be the Marlins? intention that he will be -- Miguel Cabrera can return to third base. It looks like they?d acquire an outfielder to plug into left in that case, although if the best they can do is Admin Bigbie, they?d be better off letting top prospect Jeremy Hermida make the jump that Cabrera did a couple of years ago. ? Rushing Jason Vargas to the majors is a desperation move. The 2004 second-round pick would have made the Midseason Top 100 (coming on Thursday!), but he?s probably a year away from being major league ready. NL-only leaguers should wait and see.

Source: RotoWorld