Staks new thoughts (7/22)

Fishfan79

MARKET REPORT

The longer the Marlins' proposed deal with the Orioles lies around the lap of Orioles owner Peter Angelos, the more reasons Angelos can find to toss it into the harbor. "It's still sitting on Peter's desk," one baseball man familiar with the discussions said Friday. "So absolutely nothing has changed." Well, not on Baltimore's end, at least. But back in South Florida, the Marlins aren't exactly lounging at South Beach, waiting for Angelos to announce his verdict. The Fish, according to an official of one team that has been in contact with them, "are moving toward the next phase." And that's a phase that doesn't appear to include the Orioles. The White Sox and Red Sox, on the other hand, now look like Burnett's most likely destinations -- with the Orioles, Yankees, Blue Jays and Padres hovering in the second tier. The rumblings out of Chicago suggest the Marlins and White Sox are talking about a package headed by the White Sox's top pitching prospect, Brandon McCarthy. Florida also is believed to be pushing for reliever Damaso Marte. But teams that have spoken with the White Sox don't think Marte is available anymore, now that closer Dustin Hermanson is having back issues. An official of one team monitoring this situation says the White Sox are attempting to substitute other relievers -- believed to be some combination of Cliff Politte, Neal Cotts and/or Bobby Jenks. But Florida continues to act like a team that understands Burnett is the best starter out there. So the Marlins are in no hurry to make a deal just to say they made one. The Red Sox, meanwhile, are still looking around for a third team to sweeten their offer. And Florida -- which would want a veteran starter to replace Burnett in the rotation -- may even attempt to find a third club on its own, possibly one that would deal a starter for one of the White Sox relievers. So it now seems likely Burnett will make it through the weekend as a Marlin. But all this furious talking tells you there's next to no chance he'll make it into August as a Marlin.

thoughts all?

The longer this drags on and as long as we play well while this is still in a constant state of limbo, the more likely AJ'll stay.

I think it's safe to say that Beinfest is underwhelmed by the deals out there, and I have to believe he's smart enough to not make a bad deal simply to "get something" for AJ.

MARKET REPORT

The longer the Marlins' proposed deal with the Orioles lies around the lap of Orioles owner Peter Angelos, the more reasons Angelos can find to toss it into the harbor. "It's still sitting on Peter's desk," one baseball man familiar with the discussions said Friday. "So absolutely nothing has changed." Well, not on Baltimore's end, at least. But back in South Florida, the Marlins aren't exactly lounging at South Beach, waiting for Angelos to announce his verdict. The Fish, according to an official of one team that has been in contact with them, "are moving toward the next phase." And that's a phase that doesn't appear to include the Orioles. The White Sox and Red Sox, on the other hand, now look like Burnett's most likely destinations -- with the Orioles, Yankees, Blue Jays and Padres hovering in the second tier. The rumblings out of Chicago suggest the Marlins and White Sox are talking about a package headed by the White Sox's top pitching prospect, Brandon McCarthy. Florida also is believed to be pushing for reliever Damaso Marte. But teams that have spoken with the White Sox don't think Marte is available anymore, now that closer Dustin Hermanson is having back issues. An official of one team monitoring this situation says the White Sox are attempting to substitute other relievers -- believed to be some combination of Cliff Politte, Neal Cotts and/or Bobby Jenks. But Florida continues to act like a team that understands Burnett is the best starter out there. So the Marlins are in no hurry to make a deal just to say they made one. The Red Sox, meanwhile, are still looking around for a third team to sweeten their offer. And Florida -- which would want a veteran starter to replace Burnett in the rotation -- may even attempt to find a third club on its own, possibly one that would deal a starter for one of the White Sox relievers. So it now seems likely Burnett will make it through the weekend as a Marlin. But all this furious talking tells you there's next to no chance he'll make it into August as a Marlin.

thoughts all?

870421[/snapback]

That was the best thing I've read in awhile. I would love a package of Neil Cotts, Anderson and Brandon Mcarthy for Burnett. Do it !

The longer this drags on and as long as we play well while this is still in a constant state of limbo, the more likely AJ'll stay.

I think it's safe to say that Beinfest is underwhelmed by the deals out there, and I have to believe he's smart enough to not make a bad deal simply to "get something" for AJ.

870427[/snapback]

Agree, if the Marlins come to the table with just AJ and the White Sox come with Marte along with a package of Anderson and McCarthy. AJ is gone, but like I said before the WS asked about Mota to be included in the deal and Beinfest said no

they just reported on sportscenter that the deal with the orioles is close if the o's can trade ponson to the rangers which would free up money to take on lowells contract

870459[/snapback]

Hope that is not accurate because unless the oriole deal includes Caberra O i am not really interested even if it means freeing up some money by moving Lowell. To me the deal just doesnt address the needs the Marlins have and creates more problems than addresses.....Yes to The Chi Sox deal ...maybe to the Red Sox.....NO TO THE ORIOLES

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.