Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

MarlinsBaseball.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Good Lord

Featured Replies

Ther've been no posts in this forum since the morning hours.

 

So here's a simple question: What are you guys's plans for the evening?

Maybe watch Prison Break.

  • Author

Writing a paper tonight til MNF comes on.

 

Which reminds me. Das or Juanky - I have to write about how Islam influenced western civilization between AD 632 and 1300. My question is does the realm of Islam fall under what is considered to be the west? Because if it is, that will be much easier to write about.

 

If not I guess I gotta write about how the growth of Islam elicited the Crusades and how that in turn established the church as European authority.

personally i consider islam to be more western in its backgrounds. its foundations are in very similar areas to that of judaism and christianity, hence the importance of jursalem for one. i guess you could put it in either category if you want to be anal about it, but i consider it one of the western religions for reaons other than its geography.

  • Author

I was thinking that too, Das. I just wanted a second opinion. Don't want to turn in a paper and have the professor say something like "Sorry chap, but Muslemdom isn't western. This isn't what I was looking for. You fail!"

 

I will probably go with both angles. Thanks for your input.

I have to study for a test. Yay! :plaindance

umm I'll attempt to start homework, watch Prison Break, and catch the Heat game as well.

Since I was asked, I conside the Islamic religion a Western religion but I find difficulty considering Islamic cultures part of the Western world. It is, however, important to note that at the point in history when the Crusades happened Islamic culture was much more advanced than 'Western' culture but has since fallen back. I'd expouse further if necessary though I doubt that helped much.

Since I was asked, I conside the Islamic religion a Western religion but I find difficulty considering Islamic cultures part of the Western world. It is, however, important to note that at the point in history when the Crusades happened Islamic culture was much more advanced than 'Western' culture but has since fallen back. I'd expouse further if necessary though I doubt that helped much.

 

 

I'm not sure what I would classify the Arabic world as these days, I guess the Middle East term is good enough, cuase that region surely isnt Western and surely isnt Eastern.

 

at one time the Islamic religion truly was a great thing, its been greatly distorted over the years and one would think you could see a schism within in the religion at some point between the radical sects and the true form of the religion, but thats a different discussion.

  • Author

Thanks for the input, Juanky.

 

 

Interesting point Das. I think the reason we haven't seen any real Islamic schisms since the caliph controversy that created Sunni and Shi'ite is not because of Muslim individuals coming across fundamental differences in theology - rather, I feel that it's out of fear for the most part. Diverging from the exact beliefs of the two sects would be not only social suicide but self-endangering, don't you think?

Thanks for the input, Juanky.

 

 

Interesting point Das. I think the reason we haven't seen any real Islamic schisms since the caliph controversy that created Sunni and Shi'ite is not because of Muslim individuals coming across fundamental differences in theology - rather, I feel that it's out of fear for the most part. Diverging from the exact beliefs of the two sects would be not only social suicide but self-endangering, don't you think?

 

 

naturally but then again most of those schism type movements arent exactly safe for one's life. its a very complicated situation that we from afar probably have no real idea of how to solve or really understand fully.

  • Author

Thanks for the input, Juanky.

 

 

Interesting point Das. I think the reason we haven't seen any real Islamic schisms since the caliph controversy that created Sunni and Shi'ite is not because of Muslim individuals coming across fundamental differences in theology - rather, I feel that it's out of fear for the most part. Diverging from the exact beliefs of the two sects would be not only social suicide but self-endangering, don't you think?

 

 

naturally but then again most of those schism type movements arent exactly safe for one's life. its a very complicated situation that we from afar probably have no real idea of how to solve or really understand fully.

 

 

A fine point. Though not at first, the Protestant Reformation did elicit an eventual murderous response. I think the difference between that and your Islam of today is that a Muslim who diverges from standard Muslim doctrine one day will be dead the next day.

 

That's just how I look at it.

Thanks for the input, Juanky.

 

 

Interesting point Das. I think the reason we haven't seen any real Islamic schisms since the caliph controversy that created Sunni and Shi'ite is not because of Muslim individuals coming across fundamental differences in theology - rather, I feel that it's out of fear for the most part. Diverging from the exact beliefs of the two sects would be not only social suicide but self-endangering, don't you think?

 

 

naturally but then again most of those schism type movements arent exactly safe for one's life. its a very complicated situation that we from afar probably have no real idea of how to solve or really understand fully.

 

 

A fine point. Though not at first, the Protestant Reformation did elicit an eventual murderous response. I think the difference between that and your Islam of today is that a Muslim who diverges from standard Muslim doctrine one day will be dead the next day.

 

That's just how I look at it.

most likely; since by and large extremeist muslims are probably the most violent group out there these days.

I just finished working for the day at my job but now it's time to... work some more :lol

 

This site has some errors recently that need fixin

 

YOU are the one who runs this site? In that case, dont quit your day job.

 

I had psychology class tonight as I always do then I spent some 1 on 1 time with my woman. :mischief

got home from school around 8

 

tonight i showered, called different people from my group about our project, ate dinner and ive been in bed watching tv since 10. been watching the heat game, parts of the pats game, espn classic's top 25, in living color and Good times.

 

im the ultimate channel changer.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.