Happy 230th Birthday to the United States Marine Corps

Accord

Today is the 230th birthday of the United States Marine Corps. Last week all of us poolee's from every RS in Palm Beach County got to attend the birthday ball put on by 4th ANGLICO in West Palm, it was awesome to say the least.

----

MARINE CORPS ORDERS

No. 47 (Series 1921)

HEADQUARTERS U.S. MARINE CORPS

Washington, November 1, 1921

759. The following will be read to the command on the 10th of November, 1921, and hereafter on the 10th of November of every year. Should the order not be received by the 10th of November, 1921, it will be read upon receipt.

(1) On November 10, 1775, a Corps of Marines was created by a resolution of Continental Congress. Since that date many thousand men have borne the name "Marine". In memory of them it is fitting that we who are Marines should commemorate the birthday of our corps by calling to mind the glories of its long and illustrious history.

(2) The record of our corps is one which will bear comparison with that of the most famous military organizations in the world's history. During 90 of the 146 years of its existence the Marine Corps has been in action against the Nation's foes. From the Battle of Trenton to the Argonne, Marines have won foremost honors in war, and is the long eras of tranquility at home, generation after generation of Marines have grown gray in war in both hemispheres and in every corner of the seven seas, that our country and its citizens might enjoy peace and security.

(3) In every battle and skirmish since the birth of our corps, Marines have acquitted themselves with the greatest distinction, winning new honors on each occasion until the term "Marine" has come to signify all that is highest in military efficiency and soldierly virtue.

(4) This high name of distinction and soldierly repute we who are Marines today have received from those who preceded us in the corps. With it we have also received from them the eternal spirit which has animated our corps from generation to generation and has been the distinguishing mark of the Marines in every age. So long as that spirit continues to flourish Marines will be found equal to every emergency in the future as they have been in the past, and the men of our Nation will regard us as worthy successors to the long line of illustrious men who have served as "Soldiers of the Sea" since the founding of the Corps.

JOHN A. LEJEUNE,

Major General Commandant

Happy Birthday Intangible Concept.

:blink:

Yeah, what do you mean exactly? Marine infantry is a pretty concrete concept: infantry get on boats, get off boats, storm da beach, lay da smack down, bang native girls, go home.

Mm....Lots of little concrete things make up a concrete concept?

I think concrete concept is an oxymoron...

Yeah, what do you mean exactly? Marine infantry is a pretty concrete concept: infantry get on boats, get off boats, storm da beach, lay da smack down, bang native girls, go home.

What the hell are you talking about?

What the hell are you talking about?

Concrete--hard, solid substance

Concept--intangible, abstract

Concrete Concept==oxymoron

You are reading too much into it.

Why celebrate the 4th of July each year? How is that any different?

wtf? I am reading too much into it?...Sheesh

I just seems odd to go out of your way to make the point that the Corps is not a human being.

Whatever, not a big deal.

He's just ignorant to the fact that the Marine Corps is far more than just another branch of the armed forces.

I just seems odd to go out of your way to make the point that the Corps is not a human being.

He's just ignorant to the fact that the Marine Corps is far more than just another branch of the armed forces.

Alright.

I'll bite.

I'll ask the question everyone will be dying to ask. What is the Marine Corps if they are far more than just another branch of the armed forces?

Alright.

I'll bite.

I'll ask the question everyone will be dying to ask. What is the Marine Corps if they are far more than just another branch of the armed forces?

Son, we live in a world that has walls, and those walls have to be guarded by men with guns. Whose gonna do it? You? You, Lt. Weinburg? I have a greater responsibility than you could possibly fathom. You weep for Santiago, and you curse the marines. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know. That Santiago's death, while tragic, probably saved lives. And that my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, saves lives. You don't want the truth because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that wall, you need me on that wall. We use words like honor, code, loyalty. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punchline. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very freedom that I provide, then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said thank you, and went on your way, Otherwise, I suggest you pick up a weapon, and stand a post. Either way, I don't give a damn what you think you are entitled to.

Alright.

I'll bite.

I hate to be cliche... but if you have to ask, you'll never understand.

The Marine Corps is a way of life. You join the other branches to do a job, you join the Marine Corps to be a Marine. Unlike the other branches, tradition and history is extremely important to Marines and this is made obvious on a daily basis as well as on November 10th of every year when Marines past and present attend formal birthday ball's for the Corps. I was fortunate enough to attend the one with 4th ANGLICO this year where all of us poolee's were officially sworn in after the playing of the hymn, it's a moment i'll never forget.

Alright.

I'll bite.

The Marine Corps is a way of life. You join the other branches to do a job, you join the Marine Corps to be a Marine. Unlike the other branches, tradition and history is extremely important to Marines and this is made obvious on a daily basis as well as on November 10th of every year when Marines past and present attend formal birthday ball's for the Corps. I was fortunate enough to attend the one with 4th ANGLICO this year where all of us poolee's were officially sworn in after the playing of the hymn, it's a moment i'll never forget.

ya i wont understand. i didnt drink the kool aid.

Alright.

I'll bite.

You're not in the Marines. Stop talking crap about the other branches you know nothing about.

kthx

Alright.

I'll bite.

Son, we live in a world that has walls, and those walls have to be guarded by men with guns. Whose gonna do it? You? You, Lt. Weinburg? I have a greater responsibility than you could possibly fathom. You weep for Santiago, and you curse the marines. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know. That Santiago's death, while tragic, probably saved lives. And that my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, saves lives. You don't want the truth because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that wall, you need me on that wall. We use words like honor, code, loyalty. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punchline. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very freedom that I provide, then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said thank you, and went on your way, Otherwise, I suggest you pick up a weapon, and stand a post. Either way, I don't give a damn what you think you are entitled to.

OMGAFewGoodMen.

You like that movie dont you?

Alright.

I'll bite.

OMGAFewGoodMen.

How can you not?

Tom Cruise, Jack Nicholson, Demi Moore, Keifer Sutherland, Kevin Bacon

Alright.

I'll bite.

OMGAFewGoodMen.

How can you not?

Tom Cruise, Jack Nicholson, Demi Moore, Keifer Sutherland, Kevin Bacon

No problem with it all, I just noticed it as a favorite of yours it seems...

Alright.

I'll bite.

You're not in the Marines. Stop talking crap about the other branches you know nothing about.

kthx

I never said I was (I clearly stated that I was a poolee), nor did I talk crap about other branches.

kthx