why this is a good trade for the Marlins

MVPosey

1. Josh Beckett is a clone of Kerry Wood...people will continue to overrated him based on his potential, but he will never reach it because he can't stay healthy...i think his stock is at his highest

2. Mike Lowell is an albatross...losing him is addition by subtraction

3. You get a good, long term, likely All Star SS in Hanley Ramirez, and another decent prospect in Anibel Sanchez

4. By unloading Lowell's salary without having to pick up any of it, the Marlins no longer have to deal Delgado

1. Josh Beckett is a clone of Kerry Wood...people will continue to overrated him based on his potential, but he will never reach it because he can't stay healthy...i think his stock is at his highest

2. Mike Lowell is an albatross...losing him is addition by subtraction

3. You get a good, long term, likely All Star SS in Hanley Ramirez, and another decent prospect in Anibel Sanchez

4. By unloading Lowell's salary without having to pick up any of it, the Marlins no longer have to deal Delgado

I agree with you on 2 and 3. I would also agree on 4, only Delgado is gone. And there's no reason to keep him, anyway, since the Marlins aren't likely to contend next year. You can't lose two sub-3 era starters and expect to contend. It's already been reported that we're using the Lowell $$$ to sign Cabrera and Willis to LTDs.

1. Mike Lowell has had 1 bad season this millenium, and all of a sudden he's an albatross? Talk about a fairweather fan. It's not like the guy is 36 years old, either. He probably won't play like he did in '03 or '04, but something like '02 wouldn't be unreasonable and that would still make him one of the better 3B in the game.

2. Hanley Ramirez is another product of the northeast hype machine. If the Yankees or Red Sox give up a "prized" prospect, then you can bet he's not really that good in the first place. Do you ever notice how the Yankees have all of these "awesome" prospects every year, yet somehow all the other teams end up trading for "uber-prospects" like Jackson Melian, Drew Henson, D'Angelo Jiminez, and Bam Bam Meulens while the Yankees manage to keep guys like Derek Jeter, Jorge Posada, Nick Johnson, and Alfonso Soriano (at least until they make the big club)? I wonder how Arizona ended up with top notch prospects like Casey Fossum, Brandon Lyon, and Jorge De La Rosa, yet Kevin Youkilis, Jonathan Papelbon, and Lenny DiNardo never left?

It's a very good trade. SS's like Ramirez don't come along every day. I really like Sanchez, I think he is going to be very good.

Losing Beckett hurts no doubt, but we most likely would've lost him for nothing in a couple years.

And the most important thing is we cleared up so much money by getting rid of Lowell so we can move Cabs back to his real position and opened up a spot for Willingham who will be a huge improvement over Lowell.