Ed Kaplan

Strike 3

He was just saying that he thought was said today by Samson was blackmail. He did give the Marlins full credit for putting a quality product on the field and the magic of '03. Stressed the attendance should have been better. Also said the Marlins are putting up no money towards a ballpark other than paying rent and ticket surcharge. He used the word "extortion" to describe the press conference. He can't think of any other reason for what was said other than to put pressure. Doesn't think anyone will be eager to build them a stadium in today's climate.

I don't know if he's going to continue talking about it or go on to another subject.

Says there are 3 culpable groups and the fans are the least of the culpable of those 3. The Marlins are a step above the fans in culpability but the most culpable is MLB.

Anyone else listening?

A fan who called in said he was shocked by the Beckett trade yesterday and more shocked today and was told no refund on season tickets. Kaplan said bringing down payroll unfortunately doesn't result in bringing down prices.

Guest Moneyball

He was just saying that he thought was said today by Samson was blackmail. He did give the Marlins full credit for putting a quality product on the field and the magic of '03. Stressed the attendance should have been better. Also said the Marlins are putting up no money towards a ballpark other than paying rent and ticket surcharge. He used the word "extortion" to describe the press conference. He can't think of any other reason for what was said other than to put pressure. Doesn't think anyone will be eager to build them a stadium in today's climate.

I don't know if he's going to continue talking about it or go on to another subject.

Sounds like the same games the politicos like playing.

Sadly, to send a message the team had to lower itself to that level.

What is wrong with what Ed is saying?

You may not like what he is saying...you may wish that the local and state governments give the money to Loria and not the schools or to ::::gasp::: maybe to the millions of people now taking money out of their own pocket to fix up their homes post-Wilma.

You may want the money to go to the stadium...but what Ed is saying is correct.

You may not like what he is saying...you may wish that the local and state governments give the money to Loria and not the schools or to ::::gasp::: maybe to the millions of people now taking money out of their own pocket to fix up their homes post-Wilma.

I listened to Dan's show today and someone called in with something I didn't know but so true and it isn't talked about. Did you know that cities and states give away millions of tax dollars to corporations to relocate or stay to there city or state. There millionaires no billionaires why do they need cities and states to give them millions of tax dollars. Do they effect you directly? but again they aren't made public and of course we know why

Politics and Government doesn't work that way, and you should know it. Special interest rule the world.

The problem is Loria doesn't have enough power down here.

Ask yourselve why?

- They are building a Performing Arts costing over half a billion dollars (private money? who is going to enjoy that?)

- we just built 2 more arenas with Public money. That weren't needed

The Goverment will continue to waste with stadium or no stadium. I want some of that waste to go over the team that has made this city proud,

Politics and Government doesn't work that way, and you should know it. Special interest rule the world.

Ask yourselve why?

- They are building a Performing Arts costing over half a billion dollars (private money? who is going to enjoy that?)

The Goverment will continue to waste with stadium or no stadium. I want some of that waste to go over the team that has made this city proud,

so true and well said

Ask yourselve why?

Absolutely right!

I listened to Dan's show today and someone called in with something I didn't know but so true and it isn't talked about. Did you know that cities and states give away millions of tax dollars to corporations to relocate or stay to there city or state. There millionaires no billionaires why do they need cities and states to give them millions of tax dollars. Do they effect you directly? but again they aren't made public and of course we know why

Yes, but these companies create jobs...real jobs. Not part-time peanut vendor jobs.

Yes, but these companies create jobs...real jobs. Not part-time peanut vendor jobs.

The Marlins have plenty of employees.

Ask yourselve why?

I didn't say what was right or wronmg or what happens or not. I am simply saying that what Ed is saying is not off-base. Yes, that is how the game works....and yes if a stadium gets builty we can be sure someone's hand is being greased and it's passed down the line. But it starts with public funding....

I'm so glad to know you can count on the Marlins flagship station to continue to stab the franchise in the back from morning to night.

So you want a station of lemmings that toe the company line? Then where would the credibility be? You want a show like the Nick Saban show where Rose is given the questions to ask? What Ed said is what I've been saying all day. This is all a negotiating ploy. Samson is trying to hold a knife to S. FL's throat.

About 150 I believe work in South Florida. I could be wrong, but I think that's about right.

[

About 150 I believe work in South Florida. I could be wrong, but I think that's about right.

I didn't know Millionaire ballplayers are making peanuts j/k but if you don't understand that having more millionaires in your community doesn't help your economy directly and indirectly, then our quality of life down here would be look like one of those middle of road town in central Florida. That's the difference between a big market and a small market its more (big)money being pump into your economy

I'm so glad to know you can count on the Marlins flagship station to continue to stab the franchise in the back from morning to night.

So you want a station of lemmings that toe the company line? Then where would the credibility be? You want a show like the Nick Saban show where Rose is given the questions to ask? What Ed said is what I've been saying all day. This is all a negotiating ploy. Samson is trying to hold a knife to S. FL's throat.

I guess but you know as a fan the waiting game is over either there here or there gone after 08' I know I'm glad there a drop dead date to put closure to all this nonsense

[

I didn't know Millionaire ballplayers are making peanuts j/k but if you don't understand that having more millionaires in your community doesn't help your economy directly and indirectly, then our quality of life down here would be look like one of those middle of road town in central Florida. That's the difference between a big market and a small market

Millionaires do not make economies churn. Consumption purchases are what drive an economy. Higher end luxary items are not typically purchased on a quarterly basis (cars, homes, etc.) but things like food, gas, haircuts, electric, cable, are. A millionaire can only eat so much, drive so much, only has so many hairs to cut and their electric and cable bills is not much different than most people that live in their neighborhood.

And if I was wrong I think an area of 5MM people can take the impact of 15-20 millionaires that left the area. :)

and the city and state didnt stab the Marlins in the back after 2003?

laughable.

laughable.

Das, in what way? It is not the Marlins god-given right to get $300+MM because they won the World Series. I feel bad...believe me I want a stadium here and if it ends up here with public money I won't shed a tear. I know I will get much use from the building. But what I want and what I think is right are two seperate issues.

Samson said today they were $30MM apart at one point. Believe that? If so, why not at that point pick up the $30MM cost and tell fans at seasons end that the team must go with a $40m-$45M payroll for two seasons to make up the costs...but that the team is staying...and that if revenues rose via attendance they could increase payroll the second season?

Instead we will now have that payroll and the threat that the team leaves. What Samson said today is filled with so many holes. Again I will say it....nothing has changed...except that the fight was now taken public.

laughable.

Das, in what way? It is not the Marlins god-given right to get $300+MM because they won the World Series. I feel bad...believe me I want a stadium here and if it ends up here with public money I won't shed a tear. I know I will get much use from the building. But what I want and what I think is right are two seperate issues.

Samson said today they were $30MM apart at one point. Believe that? If so, why not at that point pick up the $30MM cost and tell fans at seasons end that the team must go with a $40m-$45M payroll for two seasons to make up the costs...but that the team is staying...and that if revenues rose via attendance they could increase payroll the second season?

Instead we will now have that payroll and the threat that the team leaves. What Samson said today is filled with so many holes. Again I will say it....nothing has changed...except that the fight was now taken public.

so the organization is the only ones that should be willing to work something out and not any other side. ya that works perfectly....its not like they werent ALREADY forking over a ton of money for the stadium and would probably have faced the same situation because of the money they had already committed to the stadium

laughable.

so the organization is the only ones that should be willing to work something out and not any other side. ya that works perfectly....its not like they werent ALREADY forking over a ton of money for the stadium and would probably have faced the same situation because of the money they had already committed to the stadium

Das, the Marlins agreed to pay rent and add a ticket surcharge...that is all. I wish I could say they have offered a ton of money but all they have done is gaurantee to be a tenant and charge us an added $ on all tickets.