Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

MarlinsBaseball.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

How much left

Featured Replies

  • Author

How much is the salary now for the marlins. over or under 30 million

 

 

My guess 10 million :lol

no man seriously

If we trade JP and Lo Duca and replace them with cheap players we'll probably be down to about $21 or $22 million.

Maybe if we trade Villone, Pierre and Lo Duca then we can make a run at Manny.

 

Maybe that's our secret strategy. :lol

Isn't it sad that our entire payroll could end up being about the same amount of money that Manny makes next year by himself?

 

why does it need to get so low. the salary?

 

 

They're gutting the team so that no one shows up to games and Loria gets MLB's blessing to move. a**holes.

Isn't it sad that our entire payroll could end up being about the same amount of money that Manny makes next year by himself?

 

 

why does it need to get so low. the salary?

 

 

They're gutting the team so that no one shows up to games and Loria gets MLB's blessing to move. a**holes.

 

I hate what's happening, but I still don't blame the ownership. With every trade that goes down, I blame the city of Miami.

You blame the City of Miami because they didnt want the taxpayers to fund a stadium. Maybe if Loria was willing to contribute more than rent he would get a stadium. JUST SAY NO TO A TAXPAYER FUNDED STADIUM!

I hate what's happening, but I still don't blame the ownership. With every trade that goes down, I blame the city of Miami.

 

Only the City of Miami? Where are all the other cities of South Florida in all this? What did they bring to the table?

Committed salary is just under $28M which still includes Pierre, LoDuca, Villone and Willis as the only players making above $1M and everyone else on the roster making at or just above league minimum. This also includes $5M due to Pudge, Leiter, Valdez and Delgado.

 

If we trade Pierre, LoDuca and Villone as expected we could be as low as $16M.

You blame the City of Miami because they didnt want the taxpayers to fund a stadium. Maybe if Loria was willing to contribute more than rent he would get a stadium. JUST SAY NO TO A TAXPAYER FUNDED STADIUM!

 

 

You are a moron or a plant.

 

Do you even have the faintest idea where the money comes from to fund the stadium proposal? Miami-Dade taxpayers weren't paying for this, it was revenue generated from taxing tourists, earmarked for this specific type of purpose and approved by the voters of Miami-Dade county.

 

How do you feel about Joe Arriola's ECO buddies just stealing an election in Miami Beach?

Marlins2003, you think the FO can do no wrong. I agree that the City really f-ed this up. The County seems to still be trying. But, let's get real here. We have to assign blame to everyone. And there is no need to call anyone a moron. A lot of us are getting sick of you kissing the FO's ass and acting like they are perfect little angels in this whole thing.

Do you want to blame anybody? Just look in the mirror for who to blame! That's right, this apethetic, excuse making fan base that either does not exist or does not care about baseball! If I were Loria I'd be doing the same exact thing. Imagine if I owned a baseball team that just won the World Series, and instead of repeating the mistakes of 1997, I actually bring the bulk of the team back for another run. In ANY OTHER FREAKIN' CITY in the major leagues, I would expect a boom in attendance. Instead, here in South Florida we see only 20,000 per game. And don't give me the bull$hit excuse of "our attendance went up xxx% since we were so low to begin with." BULLCRAP!! Any other "MAJOR LEAGUE CITY" would have seen at least 23,000 on a Wednesday night game against the Brewers and a consistent 35,000 and over on any weeked game. Just compare the attendance figures in the boxscores everyday and you'll see how pathetic things are.

 

For the sake of comparison, let's look at the Los Angeles/California/Anaheim/Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim. Here is a team that went through their own version of a "fire sale" in the early 1990s. I remember when they went to a youth movement with the likes of Salmon, Edmonds, and the like. Their market is comparable to ours (especially when you factor in that the Dodgers take a majority of the market share). Orange County is a commuter county with no mass transit and the stadium is NOT located in a downtown area (as a matter of fact, there is no downtown Orange County). In 2001, the Angels averaged 24,702 per game, ranked 20th in the major leagues (barely hitting 2,000,000). In 2002, they make their run at a world championship, and their attendance rises to an average of 28,463 per game (2,305,547 total fans). In 2003, in their post World Series haze the Angels spike up to average 37,791 per game (3,061,094) almost matching the Dodgers in attendance! All this while the team was for sale and there was an uncertainty about the product (remember, Arte Moreno didn't come in until midway through the 2003 season). Further, the Angels were not a playoff team in 2003. Along comes 2004 for the Angels, and what do we see attendance wise: an average of 41,675 per game (3,375,677 total -- to trail ONLY the Yankees and Dodgers). Finally, this past season, the Angels averaged 42,033 per game (3,404,686 total). So in this small timeframe, the Angels went from averaging 24,702 a game to 42,033 per game, almost doubling attendance in sheer numbers. They do this in a crappy stadium, that is accessible only by freeway (I've been to Angels Field, the surrounding area is quite similar to Dolphins Stadium, and driving in LA/OC is just as bad, if not worse, than driving in South Florida), in a metropolitan area that is similar if not identical to South Florida! What does that say about baseball down here? Simple, we don't have the interest in averaging 42,000 per game, PERIOD!

 

If I were Loria and I just won a World Series where 70,000 show up for a game, then I would expect at least 35,000 to 36,000 average the next season! So if I spend all this money and only get 17,000 then 20,000 to a game, what's the point in running my business into the ground. Might as well save some money and cater to the 3,000 total hardcore baseball fans in town, or move to a city that will get me 35,000 a night.

 

I'll still go to games next year because you can count me in as one of the 3,000 hardcore fans that support this team with my wallet. I'll enjoy the leg room and shoulder room at the stadium next year. I'll enjoy being able to stroll through an empty Fan Fest this year. I'll enjoy seeing the young kids develop because I love baseball!!! Unfortunately, there just isn't enough of people like me here to support baseball. So, in two years when the "Charlotte Knights" are born, I won't be shocked or surprised, I'll just see it as the inevitable result of an apathetic fan base.

 

Just bringin' the facts...

Well the FO wants salaries to match revenue, they'll find it hard to do so when the Marlins play in front of crowds of 5,000-10,000 every night. I seriously doubt they'll make $30 million from attendance this season unless they schedule the Cubs, Mets and Yankees every night.

You blame the City of Miami because they didnt want the taxpayers to fund a stadium. Maybe if Loria was willing to contribute more than rent he would get a stadium. JUST SAY NO TO A TAXPAYER FUNDED STADIUM!

 

How nice of YOU to mislead the public. "Rent" is considered a contribution to a stadium project and has been ever since the 1950s when municipalities starting building stadiums for professional franchises. Who the f*** do you and the city of Miami think you are to demand a baseball team without paying the established price? You don't think if Selig, Reinsdorf and MLb had their way, you'd be greatly punished for trying to turn the tables on them and set a new precedent that would greatly affect their fortunes? The proposed contribution was the largest by an ownership group in recent years. You may call Loria cheap, but in reality you are.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.