Bandwagoners, Loyalists, and Baseball Fans

Shamrock

As for me, I can't wait to get to the stadium to see my 10 games a year. Willy behind the dish calling the shots. D-Train whirlin and twirlin. Cabrera bombing the hell outta the ball, fielding like a Gold Glover, and firing absolute lasers to our new promising slugger manning 1B, The Jake. Still holding out hope for a certain Barbarian to be patrolling LF. Then you have Jeremy Hermida, owner of one of the game's sweetest lefty strokes with god-like plate discipline to boot. And on top of all this we have an entire legion of young, talented prospects in the minors, many of whom could make the leap to majors in spring training, as mid-season callup, or in their cups of coffee in September. Call me what you will and say what you please, but I'm a huge baseball fan and always will be. The team currently residing Miami is my favorite group of players to follow in a sport that I love deeply.

/end

Is it all really that bad? In a way, yes, it's awful to lose players, seemingly for little gain, that you've lived and died with for several years. Players that performed sometimes spectacular athletic feats on game's highest stage. I'm not denying those losses as I had much sentimental value tied in those guys as well...Castillo, Beckett, Lowell, A-Gon. Damn, it sucks. But to come away from the "firesale" in as great a position as we did, with the future looking damned bright, my eyes at least, has to give some tempted to jump ship some pause for thought. This isn't a rah-rah, go team mentality, but an honest re-evaluation of the realities we Marlins fans, and, ostensibly baseball fans are facing.

You are my friend shammy, but I really dont think that this needs it's own thread here. Some folks will go and some wont. I will be going as always. Perhaps even more then my normal 20 games (split a season ticket package), because I will be able to get company seats now that most folks wont care for them.

Either way, I will be at more then a few games just like always because I love baseball. I know alot of folks wont. I dont hold anything against them for it. I even understand their reasoning. This FO is really killing baseball's future down here.

You are Lefty's #1 enemy...

But with this sentiment I agree. After the Castillo ordeal I was on edge for a couple of days, but now that I've taken a closer look at the talent we have, I am also very excited about this team. I'll go to as many games as I can, because I'll get front-row seats :D

As for me, I can't wait to get to the stadium to see my 10 games a year. Willy behind the dish calling the shots. D-Train whirlin and twirlin. Cabrera bombing the hell outta the ball, fielding like a Gold Glover, and firing absolute lasers to our new promising slugger manning 1B, The Jake. Still holding out hope for a certain Barbarian to be patrolling LF. Then you have Jeremy Hermida, owner of one of the game's sweetest lefty strokes with god-like plate discipline to boot. And on top of all this we have an entire legion of young, talented prospects in the minors, many of whom could make the leap to majors in spring training, as mid-season callup, or in their cups of coffee in September. Call me what you will and say what you please, but I'm a huge baseball fan and always will be. The team currently residing Miami is my favorite group of players to follow in a sport that I love deeply.

/end

Is it all really that bad? In a way, yes, it's awful to lose players, seemingly for little gain, that you've lived and died with for several years. Players that performed sometimes spectacular athletic feats on game's highest stage. I'm not denying those losses as I had much sentimental value tied in those guys as well...Castillo, Beckett, Lowell, A-Gon. Damn, it sucks. But to come away from the "firesale" in as great a position as we did, with the future looking damned bright, my eyes at least, has to give some tempted to jump ship some pause for thought. This isn't a rah-rah, go team mentality, but an honest re-evaluation of the realities we Marlins fans, and, ostensibly baseball fans are facing.

Great post...just find us a couple more young studs at 2B, CF & C. I can't wait to watch these guys develop. I love having extra room in the stands, no lines at the concession stands and no traffic in the parking lots.

Go Fish!!!

:thumbup

At first I have to admit I was very disappointed in the offseason moves, although I realized that they were necessary for the Front Office and organization but I'm actually fairly excited to see how things shape out in the future. Will we win the division next year? No... Will we make the post-season? Probably not but it's going to be fun to see these kids grow and mature as time goes on. The only thing that would greatly turn me off is if the teams moves, especially to a novelty town such as Las Vegas. Granted I am not even from Florida and only get to see the Fish play when they come to Colorado but I've been going to games in Miami for years and feel that it is their true home. Who knows, if these deals pay off we could have a great team in a couple of season and an exciting one at that. If the team stays together for the most part we're going to have a young, solid, and very well connected team. If all these kids are maturing and growing together as a team who knows the possibilities...

I've been a Marlins fan all of my life, but this is the first time I can recall ever questioning whether or not to keep supporting this franchise. The first fire sale was bad enough, but this one is much, much worse. At least in 1998 we knew that the team would be around for awhile. Now we don't have that luxury. I had been happy with Loria's management of the team since he bought it, up until now. I've never believed that this fire-sale mentality will win any fans in the state or local legislatures. In fact, it's more likely to do the opposite. I can guarantee that this offseason will have obliterated the majority of the fan base, making the chances of a stadium deal getting done extremely slim. I also don't believe that an owner should hold a city ransom like this, it's just not setting a good precedent for the game of baseball. Our team is the laughingstock of Major League Baseball, not much different from the Expos of a few years ago, forced to play at two different home fields in different countries. Granted, things aren't quite that bad yet, but this team's future is extremely uncertain at best.

Y'know, the MLBPA wouldn't let it happen, but you could probably sell a couple roster spots to wealthy wannabes. Or use it as a promotion, a certain lucky ticket gets to pinch-hit for the pitcher.

Maybe I shouldn't give 'em any ideas. :mischief2

I've loved this team for as long as they've been around.

I've seen players come and go, but I grew attatched to this bunch (at least our own guys like Beckett, Castillo, Lowell and even Pierre), so it's hard to be a part of this.

I echo futureGM's sentiments that this is the first time I really found myself asking how much more I'd be able to blindly support (because as long as I watch games or buy tickets, I'm supporting this). Fact of the matter is, I can't picture myself without baseball, and I really can't become a fan of another team as long as the fish are in South Florida (which I hope is for the rest of my lifetime).

None of the trades for me really hurt except the Castillo one, but even looking at it if you are gonna trade everyone else, why not just get rid of him.

As rough as the year 1998-2002 years were it was still fun to watch them because they were always giving 100%. I can't say the same thing for the past two years.

As the ultimate optimistic fan, if they can secure a stadium somehow before the offseason next year. Loria will have a large amount of money to put into the team plus another year of development from all the prospects we just got and boomk 2007 could be a nice year.

Anyways, point is couldn't agree more Shamrock