No Jews or Dogs

Beinfest4Prez

NO JEWS OR DOGS

NO JEWS OR DOGS

by: Yaakov Ish Tam

I have been following the recent saga in the Red Cross with growing disgust.

For those of you who are not familiar with the issues at hand, Israel's official relief agency, Magen David Adom (MDA; Red Star of David), has traditionally been rejected membership as an official member of the International Red Cross and Red Crescent Society because of its refusal to adopt either a cross or a crescent as its official symbol. When Israel suggested allowing the additional symbol of the Red Magen David in 1949, the organization rejected the request for the reason that they "don't want to have too many symbols." Contrast this with the refusal of the Muslim world to display a cross on their equipment and the almost immediate acceptance of the Red Crescent as an official symbol. Since that initial rejection, the Arab countries have fought tooth and nail to keep Israel out of the organization; that is, until today.

Yes, ladies and gentlemen, today is an historic day for the State of Israel, the Jewish people and Magen David Adom. Finally, after over 50 years of ongoing struggle, despite the current objections of Syria, the governing body of the International Red Cross/Red Crescent societies has approved Israel's membership.

Oh, there's just one more thing. In order to join, Israel must adopt the newly created alternative symbol, the Red Crystal, and hereafter refrain from using the Red Star of David.

Before you get excited, it is not as bad as it sounds. If MDA wants, they can continue to use the Magen David inside the red crystal on domestic and fundraising missions, and even on foreign relief missions where the host country is not "offended" by the symbol. How magnanimous of them. Where do I sign?

Yes, my friends, you have heard correctly. Jews may finally join the Red Cross/Red Crescent, but only on the condition that they stop being Jewish. The benevolent nations of the world will allow us to join their "club" and participate in relief missions saving their citizens from disasters, but only on the condition that we never, G-d forbid, reveal whence we came.

I am not old enough to remember this myself, but I have heard many first-hand accounts that in the recent past, even in "Jewish New York", hotels, businesses and places of entertainment used to prominently display signs in the entranceway that said "No Jews or Dogs!" There was many a country club in the northeastern US that did not allow any minorities, including Jews, to join. They still unofficially exist today on Long Island and in New England, although at least today (unlike the Red Cross), they have the decency to hide their "eligibility requirements". Of course, as Jews look similar to their WASP neighbors, they would often "make an exception" and let you in as long as you paid an "extra" membership fee and promised never to reveal the fact that you were Jewish.

We need to ask ourselves what Israel or the MDA gains from this newly found "acceptance". The "privilege" to go and save the lives of people who hate us and won't even allow us to display a non-offensive symbol of Judaism on our uniforms and ambulances? Is it really a positive thing that we try so hard to join a club that proudly displays a sign on its front gate "No Jews or Dogs"? Do we need to risk our lives and send our brave men and women over to countries that won't even acknowledge our existence as a people? People who are so repulsed by a non-political historic symbol of the Jewish people that they would rather die than accept aid from "dirty Jews"? Even if this new arrangement will allow Israel to benefit from extra funding, is it really worth the self-denigration that is required to be eligible to receive it?

The Torah records a prophetic blessing given to the Jewish people: "Behold it is a nation that dwells alone and is not counted among the other nations." (Numbers 23:9) How many of us remember this verse in our daily lives and really consider it to be a blessing? We dedicate our lives to being accepted by the world at large, and the harder we try, the more they remind us that "No Jews or Dogs" are allowed. Sure, there is one way to gain their acceptance, and there always has been - stop being Jewish.

Maybe we should, once and for all, make Jewish history, take the last shred of dignity that we have left as a people, and tell the Red Cross and all other anti-Semitic organizations of the world what they can do with their membership cards.

Great article on this disgusting situation with the Red Cross. Go ahead, I want to see one person attempt to defend the red cross organization here. Please, someone, attempt.

While I'll agree that the International Red Cross/Crescent (and the international community in general) has been intolerant of Israel, I'm not convinced that this PC "red crystal" thing is such a bad idea.

This controversy sounded interesting, so I decided to read up on it. It appears that the red cross and the red crescent symbols have been widely used since the 1800's. In the past century, a number of countries have unsuccessfully lobbied to have local symbols (e.g. a combined red cross/crescent, a red cross and flame, a red cow, a red hindu swastika, a red star of david, a red wheel, a red archway, a red palm, etc. etc.) internationally recognized. Those countries that wanted to get into the ICRC (e.g. India, Sri Lanka, Thailand, etc.) had to adopt a symbol of neutrality (e.g. the red cross or red crescent) that was recognized by the Geneva Convention, which makes sense considering these aid workers would need protection in international combat zones.

Having a Geneva Convention-sanctioned symbol like the new red crystal surrounding your local emblem while on foreign soil is the only fair way to address the snubbing of Israel from the ICRC, imo, without having to explain why a country of 6 million can have its symbol recognized when numerous others could not.

I actually think the emblems look kinda sharp:

I don't think, Alka, that it was an issue of country but more of religion. When you have two major religious symbols in the Red Cross organization, but when the third major monotheistic religion of the world Judaism, is denied to use its symbol, its insulting.

If they used the crystal over everything than my issue is solved somewhat. But in principle, this is another show of anti-semitism.

This has my blood boiling as well. Hell, if Israel has to use the crystal, than so does everyone. BTW, the reason the Magen David wasn't accepted before was because people in the ICRC compared it to a swastika! Thus, to me the crystal is yet another example of the dhimmitude that must be swept from this world.

What say you to their rejection of the Hindu symbols? India adopted the red cross as its symbol.

And why does it matter if its monotheistic?

There are only three major monotheistic religions. Why is it fair two of them get to use their symbols but the Jews get the short end of the stick?

And last time I checked the cross is not offensive in Hinduism. No offense but both the crescent and the cross are offensive in Judaism.

What say you to their rejection of the Hindu symbols? India adopted the red cross as its symbol.

There are only three major monotheistic religions. Why is it fair two of them get to use their symbols but the Jews get the short end of the stick?

And last time I checked the cross is not offensive in Hinduism. No offense but both the crescent and the cross are offensive in Judaism.

Well because the Jews arent the only ones getting the short end of the stick. Nor should they be relieved from getting the short end of the stick, as opposed to everyone else, simply because their religion is monotheistic. If the basis for keeping it two symbols is that it's been the tradition for most of the existence of the organization, then the symblols have lost their religious conotation. Rejecting all the religious symbols(Cow, Palm) from fresher members is a valid non-religous reason. Isreal shouldnt get an exception over India simply because their religion is monotheistic. That would be just as discriminatory.

Some of this action might have to do with religious hostility from the Muslim countries. But the fact that they are making a compromise with Israel, which they never did with India or the other countries, suggests to me that that angle has been contained to a good degree.

I imagine India and Sri Lanka will now be asking for their symbols to be involved to some degree also. Its not fair that three of four major religions get their own symbol but the fourth doesn't. Hindusim, a religion that has 60x as many people in the world compared to Judaism was denied its symbol. Same with Buddhism. Throw in Sikhs. 6 symbols ok now?

How is the cross and crescent offensive to Jewish people in manner that is not offensive to Hindus? And if this is true, isnt it Judaism that is being exclusive demanding its own symbol because of its hostile relationship with the other two?

The Arab countries are still fighting this tooth and nail mind you Mollusk.

And shame on the one's that are fighting's Israel's inclusion and on the one's fighting the symbol solely out of spite for Jews.

But its not fair to label the red cross as an organization, especially with the approach that that article took.

Find me one Arab country fighting for Israel's inclusion.

Thats what I thought. None.

A hurdle to Arab support was believed to have been cleared last week when Magen David and the Palestine Red Crescent struck a deal allowing each other's paramedics to operate unmolested.

http://www.ynetnews.com/articles/0,7340,L-3181333,00.html

And Syria's main reason for opposition doesn't seem to be isolated to "we hate Jews."

There wasn't a breakdown of the vote, but Syria had refused to agree to the new emblem unless Damascus was given humanitarian access to Syrian citizens in the Golan Heights, which has been under Israeli control since the 1967 Middle East war.

I bit on your red herring. Now can you address all the questions I asked you?

For what reasons are the cross and the crescent offensive to Jews?

Jews have died under both symbols (the cross, well, obviously the Crusades, the Inquisition, and the pogroms, and the crescent, well, just look up the word "Farhud").

A hurdle to Arab support was believed to have been cleared last week when Magen David and the Palestine Red Crescent struck a deal allowing each other's paramedics to operate unmolested.

And Syria's main reason for opposition doesn't seem to be isolated to "we hate Jews."

There wasn't a breakdown of the vote, but Syria had refused to agree to the new emblem unless Damascus was given humanitarian access to Syrian citizens in the Golan Heights, which has been under Israeli control since the 1967 Middle East war.

Most of the Golani wish to remain Israeli citizens. Next question.

Jews have died under both symbols (the cross, well, obviously the Crusades, the Inquisition, and the pogroms, and the crescent, well, just look up the word "Farhud").

Most of the Golani wish to remain Israeli citizens. Next question.

I appreciate the selective response I got to a question I never asked. Why dont any of you actually address why its ok for Israel to get the star of david or even a crystal symbol but India, with 60x the population of Hindus, doesnt get a damn thing and has to "deal" with the cross as its symbol?

Jews by and large are just so damn uptight about many things from all that I have picked up. I mean, lets see...the Red Cross was created in the USA...which is largely a Christian nation...I wonder why they would use the cross...

damn, not that difficult.

but ya i'm still waiting for a real answer on why the cross and cresent are offensive symbols.

Honestly I never heard any Jewish person tell me that the cross is offensive to them. How can you be offended by a religious symbol and then bitch at people from other religions if they are offended by your religios symbol?

It's like telling someone "I don't want you to publicly display the cross because it offends me" and then screaming discrimination when you are not allowed to publicly display the star of David. If you are going to bitch about discrimination at least have the decency to be accepting of others, or else you are just being hypocritical.

Mollusk asked:

How is the cross and crescent offensive to Jewish people in manner that is not offensive to Hindus? And if this is true, isnt it Judaism that is being exclusive demanding its own symbol because of its hostile relationship with the other two?

In that case what about all the other religions that are bigger than Judism? There are many that are larger and they arent complaining

Honestly I never heard any Jewish person tell me that the cross is offensive to them. How can you be offended by a religious symbol and then bitch at people from other religions if they are offended by your religios symbol?

It's like telling someone "I don't want you to publicly display the cross because it offends me" and then screaming discrimination when you are not allowed to publicly display the star of David. If you are going to bitch about discrimination at least have the decency to be accepting of others, or else you are just being hypocritical.

Its offensive to use it to represent a country of Jews. I am never going to use a cross or a crescent that has any religious ties.

You all say we should go with it. How would you like it if you were forced to use a symbol that you found offensive?

Please, put yourself in our shoes for once. You can't look at it objectively and say we are uptight.

Its offensive to use it to represent a country of Jews. I am never going to use a cross or a crescent that has any religious ties.

You all say we should go with it. How would you like it if you were forced to use a symbol that you found offensive?

Please, put yourself in our shoes for once. You can't look at it objectively and say we are uptight.

India, a country of Hindus, is using the cross. They are forced to use the symbol. They were in your shoes and they didnt raise this ruckus.

I swear, if there is a God, I sometimes wonder if he is up there rolling his eyes at the way the different religions act. Like a bunch of kids fighting over who gets to give the puppy a bath. Meanwhile the puppy stinks and God is irritated.

please. there are many symbols which may be considered offensive yet are still used. bottom line is that the red cross was still founded by a Christian nation by and large.

I'm still waiting to see the huge offensiveness of the cross or cresent....

Try naming a reason Israel SHOULD use the Red Cross. After all, has the cross ever been good to Jews? I'll repeat: the Crusades, the Inquisition, the pogroms, the kangaroo-court "disputations", forced conversions, all leading up to the use of the evil variant of the cross, the swastika. And as for the Crescent, well, the Arab world has treated Jews like second-class citizens since the last days of the Moorish occupation of the Iberian peninsula. Not to mention (ok, I'm going to get a little flak for this) it may have been adopted by Muslims in a syncretism between the Abrahamic G-d and the Meccan moon god, so the pagan symbolism would therefore be obvious.

Try naming a reason Israel SHOULD use the Red Cross. After all, has the cross ever been good to Jews? I'll repeat: the Crusades, the Inquisition, the pogroms, the kangaroo-court "disputations", forced conversions, all leading up to the use of the evil variant of the cross, the swastika. And as for the Crescent, well, the Arab world has treated Jews like second-class citizens since the last days of the Moorish occupation of the Iberian peninsula. Not to mention (ok, I'm going to get a little flak for this) it may have been adopted by Muslims in a syncretism between the Abrahamic G-d and the Meccan moon god, so the pagan symbolism would therefore be obvious.

the symbol for the entire organization is a cross maybe and created in America which is largely a Christian nation?

This may be a "Christian nation" (which I find to be the biggest load of bull I've ever heard), but I sure don't want my tax dollars going to displaying a creche.

Also, to me a cross is a pagan symbol of worship. Using the cross would therefore break the Third Commandment ("Thou shalt not bow down to false idols").