American political views (current)

Fishfan79

I am a registered Republican in the State of Florida. I am conservative on certain issues like abortion and excessive taxation, but on other issues like spending and Social Security I can be considered a financial liberal as long as the funds are there to cash the check.

I like Social Security, but it should be treated more like insurance than a pention. It is not a pention and should not be substinence pay. I want Social Security to continue as is, but we need to end the I-Owe-You system and create private accounts or start paying things as promised out of the Treasury.

Juanky, your assessment is pretty comprehensive. Good job. Of yours, I consider myself a FDR Democrat/Modern Liberal.

Additionally, I have one question for you FishFan. What in God's name is a Reagan Democrat?

Because you have to ask this question............ proves that people who are in that vein of thinking ,don't get it,will never get it,and are doomed to lose the elections of the future.

I am a registered Republican in the State of Florida. I am conservative on certain issues like abortion and excessive taxation, but on other issues like spending and Social Security I can be considered a financial liberal as long as the funds are there to cash the check.

I like Social Security, but it should be treated more like insurance than a pention. It is not a pention and should not be substinence pay. I want Social Security to continue as is, but we need to end the I-Owe-You system and create private accounts or start paying things as promised out of the Treasury.

You don't make sense in so many ways I don't even know where to begin. First, it's pension, not pention. Second, Social Security is a an entitlement pension system and not an insurance. It was never meant to be an insurance. The definition of insurance is, "if this goes bad, we've got your back." Social Security is an entitlement to anyone that reaches age 65, so it is not insurance.

I-Owe-You system? Huh? You mean, "pay-as-you-go" system.

You like to spend money but don't like to tax? Doesn't make much sense. What I think you meant to say is that you're a fiscal conservative. Set a budget, collect the taxes (which are not excessive), and then spend those taxes and nothing more.

Juanky, your assessment is pretty comprehensive. Good job. Of yours, I consider myself a FDR Democrat/Modern Liberal.

Additionally, I have one question for you FishFan. What in God's name is a Reagan Democrat?

Because you have to ask this question............ proves that people who are in that vein of thinking ,don't get it,will never get it,and are doomed to lose the elections of the future.

Whats that supposed to mean? :blink:

He's saying that the fact that so many Democrats don't know or understand what a Reagan Democrat is partly the reason Democrats have been losing elections and will keep losing elections. Reagan Democrats are essentially people that in theory should vote Democratic but have decided to go Republican for certain reasons. If Democrats understood those reasons and addressed these people's concerns then they could win more elections. I think that's what he's saying.

He's saying that the fact that so many Democrats don't know or understand what a Reagan Democrat is partly the reason Democrats have been losing elections and will keep losing elections. Reagan Democrats are essentially people that in theory should vote Democratic but have decided to go Republican for certain reasons. If Democrats understood those reasons and addressed these people's concerns then they could win more elections. I think that's what he's saying. Ok, thanks for explaining that to me.

I think its a little easier to just say Democrats who vote Republican than a Reagan Democrat. For one thing, thats a term I have never heard used before.

He's saying that the fact that so many Democrats don't know or understand what a Reagan Democrat is partly the reason Democrats have been losing elections and will keep losing elections. Reagan Democrats are essentially people that in theory should vote Democratic but have decided to go Republican for certain reasons. If Democrats understood those reasons and addressed these people's concerns then they could win more elections. I think that's what he's saying. Ok, thanks for explaining that to me.

I think its a little easier to just say Democrats who vote Republican than a Reagan Democrat. For one thing, thats a term I have never heard used before.

Well, Reagan Democrat is more of a subset of Democrats who vote Republican for whatever reason than a separate group, though I guess it could be if you wanted it to. Essentially, Reagan Democrats crossed over from the Dems to the Reps in the late 70's/early to mid 80's for various reasons, though it was mostly white middle class or working class workers who thougth the Dems became the party of minorities and the poor at the expense of white middle/working class. Of course, other factors were involved as well, but in the interest of brevity that definition can work. If others with more time want to expand on it, feel free.

Juanky and fishfan79 do a good job addressing different perspectives of politics. I think Juanky covers ideology and fishfan covers modern political judgment well. One thing to add though-I think people tend to put themselves in more moderate positions but are usually seen by others in more extreme positions. So really it becomes a subjective thing.

Guest Moneyball

Juanky and fishfan79 do a good job addressing different perspectives of politics. I think Juanky covers ideology and fishfan covers modern political judgment well. One thing to add though-I think people tend to put themselves in more moderate positions but are usually seen by others in more extreme positions. So really it becomes a subjective thing.

Exactly, example of someone I put in a more extreme position: FutureGM.