Outfield....

Guest markotsay7

Who Will Be the marlins starting and reserve outfield. my view is.....

starting:

LF- Abercrombie/Willingham

CF- Eric Reed/Chris Aguila

RF- Jeremy Hermida.

i want to know you peoples view on how the situation shapes up in the spring.

MY MONEY IS ON AGUILA IN LEFT, REED IN CENTER,AND HERMIDA IN RIGHT.WITH ABERCROMBIE AND WILLINGHAM ON THE BENCH.ALSO MARK LITTLE OR LENNY HARRIS CAN JOIN THEM.

Contradict yourself much?

MY MONEY IS ON AGUILA IN LEFT, REED IN CENTER,AND HERMIDA IN RIGHT.WITH ABERCROMBIE AND WILLINGHAM ON THE BENCH.ALSO MARK LITTLE OR LENNY HARRIS CAN JOIN THEM.

caps lock

"JUS BCUZ WE ARE YOUNG, FRESH, ND READY TO GO, DOESNT MEAN WE ARENT PLAYING TO WIN IT ALL.AGAIN!"ITS TYM TO SHOCK THA WORLD AGAIN, ITS TYM TO STEP IT UP, ITS TYM TO PROVE EVERYONE WRONG, ITS TYM TO SHINE IN 06, NO MATTER WATS IN OUR WAY.IT WILL NEVER PHASE US!!!!!

:blink:

caps lock

english

starting:

RF- Jeremy Hermida.

:lol

starting:

RF- Jeremy Hermida.

:lol

:lol :lol

Only place he has a spot seems to be CF, which I think Aguila and Reed have the one up on. Hermida is all but locked in RF, and Willingham pretty much has LF if they do this right.

My money is still on acquiring Gathright before the end of spring training.

While I don't neccessarily disagree I don't see the rush to do so.

The D'Rays outfield is still in flux because of a couple of players working their way back from injuries and that makes Gathright a more valuable player (depth-wise) for the D'Rays right now, which means a higher price tag. And at the same time, without so much as a look at the kids we've acquired, their strengths and readiness are unknown quantities right now.

The thing to do is wait.

My money is still on acquiring Gathright before the end of spring training.

The D'Rays outfield is still in flux because of a couple of players working their way back from injuries and that makes Gathright a more valuable player (depth-wise) for the D'Rays right now, which means a higher price tag. And at the same time, without so much as a look at the kids we've acquired, their strengths and readiness are unknown quantities right now.

The thing to do is wait.

Sure, time is on our side. If we look at this season as a rebuilding year, we really don't have to do anything until the next off-season. It's just CF is such an apparent gaping hole it would be nice to see the FO do something about it.

The thing to do is wait.

I don't think Tampa cares about OF depth. They have Crawford and Rocco who can both play CF, the other in a corner, and Huff/Young for the other spot. Even if someone gets injured, or Huff traded, they would still have a plus performer at any given position without Gathright. They also have an awesome OF prospect named Dukes a year or so away that will push someone for playing time. Maybe even Upton if he keeps his poor defensive showings in the middle infield. They really don't need Gathright and any attempt by their front office to say they want to retain him for "depth" is total BS and them just trying to increase his value. If this scenario is what you mean by wait, I agree. Aguila could hold down the fort temporarily until TB becomes absolutely desperate for pitching and eventually settles for a Johnson or Nolasco, so we keep Olsen. I do think it is imperitive to eventually get Gathright though. He's the perfect fit for the team.

I don't think Reed and Abercrombie are MLB level players, which pretty much leaves Aguila alone in CF. The only other CF worth a damn in the Marlins farm system is probably De Aza, and he is atleast 2 years away from the bigs. At absolute best, I can't see anything beyond a .265/.325/.425 from Aguila, with league average defense. That's not just for 2006 either, that's forever. I guess that isn't terrible (for CF), but he just doesn't have the ceiling to grow with this team as a starter. That stat line isn't a 1-2 hitter, which is what this team needs. That stat line is a # 7 hitter. He's just best suited to be a # 4 OF. Gathright on the other hand, I see developing into a .285/.340/.375, 55/20 SB, 50/110 BB/K guy, with slightly below average defense that doesn't really hurt you over the course of the season. Situationally, of course. I see him with an overall ceiling of improving 10-30 points in all the stat categories, especially slugging. I really think he is going to start hitting 35-40 or so extra base hits in a year or two. His extra base hit progression (in about 425 AB each season, at increasingly difficult levels) is 10-16-26. He's starting to hit for gap power and I expect that growth to continue for another 2 years before stabilizing. I'd like to see more contact and less K of course, but I think he and Hanley could make a killer 1-2 in front of the big boys for years. They wouldn't have the OBP of JP/Castillo of the last few years, but it would still be respectable, they'd steal more bases at a better %, and hit for more power. I could be wrong. Joey could be the next Endy Chavez or Tike Redman. But I think he's a good one to take a shot at developing into a cross of Pierre/Taveras.

You make good points Lou, except perhaps your first, that the D'Rays don't care about outfield depth.

Baldelli isn't 100%, there's constant rumors about Huff being moved, Crawford has a nagging wrist problem, etc. Until those issues resolve themselves I still believe the Marlins or anyone else would have to pay a premium for Gathright.

It still puzzles me why Eric Reed wasn't given at least a shot last year as a September call up as Aguila was the previous year. I said at the time that his speed would have been useful, and the cup of coffee could have helped this year in making a decision about centre field. Clearly the organisation knew what was going to happen, and I find it strange why they didn't think a bit further ahead.

Aguila wasn't a september callup in 2004. He was our backup outfielder for most of the second half. A position which we short on due to carrying Harris, three catchers and sometimes 12 pitchers.

Between Hermida, Conine and Aguila, we didn't need the depth last year. Reed wouldn't have gotten playing time. Not from McKeon, who in 2004 gave starts to a veteran waiver-wire pickup and free agent to be rather than a player who might help the club in the near future.

I hope they wait until after ST to deal for Gathright, not only so they can determine who to deal, but also to see if Gathright is worth dealing for. If he has a horrible ST, we might be able to get him dirt cheap compared to before. Or, we could go after someone who had a little more success during ST.