Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

MarlinsBaseball.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Stokes Working In The Outfield

Featured Replies

JUPITER, Fla. -- Josh Willingham's glove got some work in the outfield Sunday morning, but Willingham wasn't wearing it.

Instead, the Marlins catcher lent his outfield glove to Jason Stokes, a first baseman who went through drills with the rest of the outfielders.

 

Seeking versatile players, manager Joe Girardi is experimenting with Stokes in the outfield. Primarily a first baseman since being drafted in the second round in 2000, Stokes is willing to play wherever he is asked if it means making the club.

 

Stokes formerly played left field before he was switched to first base in 2001.

 

"He's been there before, so he's going to work in the outfield a little bit, and then we are going to work him in a game," Girardi said. "I want to make sure he's comfortable out there before I just throw him out there."

 

Stokes is listed at 6-foot-4, 225 pounds, although he may be closer to 240. He is having the outfield gloves he used before 2001 shipped to him from his home in Dallas. For now, he is using Willingham's outfield glove because Willingham is making progress catching.

 

"I want to see what he can do in left field," Girardi said. "I want versatile players. I think that's very important, especially in the National League, where there is double-switching, and there is a lot of stuff going on. You need versatility."

 

Working Stokes in left field has ramifications for three positions: left field, catcher and first base.

 

Stokes is battling Mike Jacobs at first base. But for the next few days, Stokes will be used in a majority of the drills in the outfield. He was the designated hitter in Sunday's game against the Nationals. Girardi added that Stokes still remains in the mix for the first base job.

 

"He's trying to do everything he can to fit me in a spot," Stokes said of Girardi.

 

Over the next few days, Stokes will work with Andre Dawson, the former big league star outfielder who is a special assistant with the organization.

 

Giving Stokes a look in left also shows the Marlins are happy with the progress Willingham is making behind the plate. A converted third baseman, Willingham has only caught a few seasons in the Minor Leagues. He is battling Miguel Olivo for the starting catcher job.

 

When Spring Training started, the team was considering switching Willingham to left field if he was struggling at catcher. Now he is neck-and-neck with Olivo.

 

"He's done a lot in three weeks, and we want him to continue to progress," Girardi said of Willingham remaining at catcher. "I've said all along, I will make the true evaluation in the six weeks, when it's all over. But I like what I see."

 

 

Willingham, who had an RBI double and scored a run in Sunday's 5-2 win over the Nationals, says he is feeling comfortable behind the plate.

 

He says he has totally bought into bench coach Gary Tuck's catching program.

 

"I haven't gotten any bad feedback," Willingham said. "I've never been this confident behind the plate."

 

Throughout his Minor League career, Willingham has moved around to several different positions.

 

"Now I feel like a catcher first and everything else second," he said.

http://florida.marlins.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/...t=.jsp&c_id=fla

 

I hope he can play LF that would be great.

JUPITER, Fla. -- Josh Willingham's glove got some work in the outfield Sunday morning, but Willingham wasn't wearing it.

Instead, the Marlins catcher lent his outfield glove to Jason Stokes, a first baseman who went through drills with the rest of the outfielders.

 

Seeking versatile players, manager Joe Girardi is experimenting with Stokes in the outfield. Primarily a first baseman since being drafted in the second round in 2000, Stokes is willing to play wherever he is asked if it means making the club.

 

Stokes formerly played left field before he was switched to first base in 2001.

 

"He's been there before, so he's going to work in the outfield a little bit, and then we are going to work him in a game," Girardi said. "I want to make sure he's comfortable out there before I just throw him out there."

 

Stokes is listed at 6-foot-4, 225 pounds, although he may be closer to 240. He is having the outfield gloves he used before 2001 shipped to him from his home in Dallas. For now, he is using Willingham's outfield glove because Willingham is making progress catching.

 

"I want to see what he can do in left field," Girardi said. "I want versatile players. I think that's very important, especially in the National League, where there is double-switching, and there is a lot of stuff going on. You need versatility."

 

Working Stokes in left field has ramifications for three positions: left field, catcher and first base.

 

Stokes is battling Mike Jacobs at first base. But for the next few days, Stokes will be used in a majority of the drills in the outfield. He was the designated hitter in Sunday's game against the Nationals. Girardi added that Stokes still remains in the mix for the first base job.

 

"He's trying to do everything he can to fit me in a spot," Stokes said of Girardi.

 

Over the next few days, Stokes will work with Andre Dawson, the former big league star outfielder who is a special assistant with the organization.

 

Giving Stokes a look in left also shows the Marlins are happy with the progress Willingham is making behind the plate. A converted third baseman, Willingham has only caught a few seasons in the Minor Leagues. He is battling Miguel Olivo for the starting catcher job.

 

When Spring Training started, the team was considering switching Willingham to left field if he was struggling at catcher. Now he is neck-and-neck with Olivo.

 

"He's done a lot in three weeks, and we want him to continue to progress," Girardi said of Willingham remaining at catcher. "I've said all along, I will make the true evaluation in the six weeks, when it's all over. But I like what I see."

 

 

Willingham, who had an RBI double and scored a run in Sunday's 5-2 win over the Nationals, says he is feeling comfortable behind the plate.

 

He says he has totally bought into bench coach Gary Tuck's catching program.

 

"I haven't gotten any bad feedback," Willingham said. "I've never been this confident behind the plate."

 

Throughout his Minor League career, Willingham has moved around to several different positions.

 

"Now I feel like a catcher first and everything else second," he said.

http://florida.marlins.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/...t=.jsp&c_id=fla

 

I hope he can play LF that would be great.

That would be tantilizing.

Ramirez

Hermida

Cabrera

Jacobs

Stokes

Willingham

Uggla

Abercombie

 

If Opening day was tommorow thats what I would go with

Ramirez

Hermida

Cabrera

Jacobs

Stokes

Willingham

Uggla

Abercombie

 

If Opening day was tommorow thats what I would go with

 

Why would bat an all or nothing guy in front of guy who hits homers and gets on base a lot?

 

CF Gathright

SS Ramirez

RF Hermida

3B Cabrera

C Willingham

1B Jacobs

LF Aguila/Abercrombie/Stokes

2B Uggla

 

I believe we will pickup Gathright in a trade and he'll definitely leadoff. Ramirez will hit second unless he struggles, which he may. This bumps everyone up one with Ramirez hitting 7/8.

I'd like to see something like:

 

Ramirez

Hermida

Willingham

Cabs

Jacobs

Stokes

Uggla

Abercrombie

 

Maybe switch Hermida and Willingham but I'd love to see 2 guys who get on base a ton bat infront of Cabs. :mischief2

Isn't it funny after we start a new thread and reviving the "Stokes to LF" theory, Girardi thinks of the idea and it becoems a reality. It would be freaking amazing if he could do the job as decent as Cabrera did for the past 2 years.

 

Ramirez

Willingham

Hermida

Cabrera

Jacobs

Stokes

Uggla

Abercrombie

Willis

 

Now that would be possibly the best lineup talent-wise ever seen.

Well, Ramirez is the closest thing we have to a lead off guy. You can also put Hermida as the lead off guy, but then you would have to put Hanley in front of cabs and break up the lefty-righty lineup. If get a CF that can lead off the lineup would be set because then you have him lead off with Hanley in the 7th or 8th spot.

I'd like to see something like:

 

Ramirez

Hermida

Willingham

Cabs

Jacobs

Stokes

Uggla

Abercrombie

 

Maybe switch Hermida and Willingham but I'd love to see 2 guys who get on base a ton bat infront of Cabs. :mischief2

 

Can't exactly pitch around him too often if there's 2 guys on base! :mischief

I'd like to see something like:

 

Ramirez

Hermida

Willingham

Cabs

Jacobs

Stokes

Uggla

Abercrombie

 

Maybe switch Hermida and Willingham but I'd love to see 2 guys who get on base a ton bat infront of Cabs. :mischief2

 

Can't exactly pitch around him too often if there's 2 guys on base! :mischief

They can always give him the Bonds treatment and walk him with the bases loaded

Well, I suppose they did it last year when we insisted on having Lowell in the 5th slot over and over and over again. Talk about mind-numbing.

If we could put Cabs in LF, then why not give Stokes a try?

 

Stokes could be significantly worse... :o But, of course, it's worth a try in spring training.

If we could put Cabs in LF, then why not give Stokes a try?

 

Stokes could be significantly worse... :o But, of course, it's worth a try in spring training.

 

Exactly. It's spring training. Anything is possible.

If we could put Cabs in LF, then why not give Stokes a try?

 

Because Cabrera is the type of player you create a position for.

If we could put Cabs in LF, then why not give Stokes a try?

Remember how bad Cabrera was? Imagine him with less range and a worse arm.....and a bat that's no where in the same league.

 

This is a disaster waiting to happen.

the Marlins are happy with the progress Willingham is making behind the plate. A converted third baseman, Willingham has only caught a few seasons in the Minor Leagues. He is battling Miguel Olivo for the starting catcher job.

 

When Spring Training started, the team was considering switching Willingham to left field if he was struggling at catcher. Now he is neck-and-neck with Olivo.

 

He says he has totally bought into bench coach Gary Tuck's catching program.

 

"I haven't gotten any bad feedback," Willingham said. "I've never been this confident behind the plate."

 

"Now I feel like a catcher first and everything else second," he said.

 

I think everyone is overlooking the best part of this article. Keep it up! :pray

If we could put Cabs in LF, then why not give Stokes a try?

Remember how bad Cabrera was? Imagine him with less range and a worse arm.....and a bat that's no where in the same league.

 

This is a disaster waiting to happen.

 

I remember Cabs being atrocious in RF. He actually isn't too bad in LF. But then again, he had a couple seasons to refine his OF skills.

 

It's spring training. Why not see what he can do? Otherwise Stokes only contribution would be a power bat off the bench.

  • Author

If we could put Cabs in LF, then why not give Stokes a try?

 

Because Cabrera is the type of player you create a position for.

Well on the 2006 Florida Marlins Stokes is a player you need to create a position for.

I remember Cabs being atrocious in RF. He actually isn't too bad in LF. But then again, he had a couple seasons to refine his OF skills.

 

He was the worst NL LF last year.

I remember Cabs being atrocious in RF. He actually isn't too bad in LF. But then again, he had a couple seasons to refine his OF skills.

 

He was the worst NL LF last year.

 

Based on what measure? He's an All-Star LFer!

 

:lol

rotoworld.com

 

Jason Stokes - 1B - Marlins

At manager Joe Girardi's request, Jason Stokes borrowed an outfield glove to take flyballs in left today.

Stokes probably isn't ready to hit in the majors, and he's certainly not ready to play left field in the majors. The Marlins tried him there previously when both he and Adrian Gonzalez were in the team's plans, but it didn't go very well. If the Marlins really want both in their lineup, Mike Jacobs would probably have a better chance than Stokes of surviving in left.

 

I agree. I know Jacobs has a shoulder or arm history of some type but in the OF he might only have to make 2-3 throws a game if that much.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.