Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

MarlinsBaseball.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Notes: Jacobs won't be platooned

Featured Replies

JUPITER, Fla. -- Don't expect a platoon situation at first base.

Mike Jacobs is expected to start at first base regardless of who is pitching.

 

Just because Jacobs is a left-handed hitter doesn't mean he will sit on a regular basis against left-handed pitching.

 

"I plan on playing him," Marlins manager Joe Girardi said. "The one thing I didn't want to come in here and do was put limitations on players. A lot of times young players get marked as platoon-type guys. We don't see him as a platoon-type of guy. That's why you are seeing him against righties and lefties. The same with Jeremy (Hermida)."

 

Jacobs and Hermida are two left-handed-hitting rookies taking on major roles.

 

"I want (Jacobs) to play," Girardi said. "We expect him to be a big part of our lineup."

 

Jacobs has faced his share of left-handed pitchers this spring. On Saturday, he struck out twice against a tough lefty in Baltimore's Erik Bedard. He was used as the designated hitter that game.

 

And in Sunday's 9-1 win over the Cardinals, Jacobs faced St. Louis' Mark Mulder. In three at-bats against the lefty, Jacobs had a double, single and two RBIs.

 

"I've always hit (lefties) pretty good," Jacobs said. "I haven't hit them as well this spring as I would like. But (in the spring) you see a guy two at-bats, and then you don't see him again for whatever it is. I think it will be a little different in the season when you get four at-bats off a guy, and you see him again and he's doing the same thing."

 

Last year while with the Mets, Jacobs had 100 at-bats, with only five of them against left-handers. He did go 2-for-5.

http://florida.marlins.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/...t=.jsp&c_id=fla

 

I love how Joe G. is just going to let them play.

This is fantastic news.

He mentioned this when Spring Training first began, but I'm glad he's reiterated it. I'm loving Joe Girardi so far....

I like Girardi's mind set of not wanting to put foolish limitations on players.

 

They CAN do anything

Some managers (Dusty Baker) subscribe way too much to mathups when at times, you have to just let your players play.

Has Joe said anything yet that we haven't loved? Unbelievable. I'm gladder and gladder every day that we have him on board.

Girardi is so money he doesnt even know it.

 

All the other teams are like little bunny rabbits and Joe G is like a big bear. RAWR! :mischief

jakey's my favorite new player, so obviously i am very happy. :thumbup

 

on a side note, i was listening to a marlins preview on mlb radio the other day. i only listened to half of it because there were so many errors in it and i could tell the jackass doing the preview doesn't know much at all. anyway, stern (i think that's the guys name) says jakey can't hit a breaking ball and that once pitchers figure that out they won't throw him anymore fastballs, reducing his numbers. i almost felt like calling in and telling him to watch all his at-bats from last season. he was jacking everything - fastballs, changeups, curves, sliders. it's so annoying.

its a good way to give Jacobs more confidence and know that he can play everyday as long as he gives it his all no matter whether its RHP or LHP

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.