Notes: Jacobs won't be platooned

Ralph

JUPITER, Fla. -- Don't expect a platoon situation at first base.

Mike Jacobs is expected to start at first base regardless of who is pitching.

Just because Jacobs is a left-handed hitter doesn't mean he will sit on a regular basis against left-handed pitching.

"I plan on playing him," Marlins manager Joe Girardi said. "The one thing I didn't want to come in here and do was put limitations on players. A lot of times young players get marked as platoon-type guys. We don't see him as a platoon-type of guy. That's why you are seeing him against righties and lefties. The same with Jeremy (Hermida)."

Jacobs and Hermida are two left-handed-hitting rookies taking on major roles.

"I want (Jacobs) to play," Girardi said. "We expect him to be a big part of our lineup."

Jacobs has faced his share of left-handed pitchers this spring. On Saturday, he struck out twice against a tough lefty in Baltimore's Erik Bedard. He was used as the designated hitter that game.

And in Sunday's 9-1 win over the Cardinals, Jacobs faced St. Louis' Mark Mulder. In three at-bats against the lefty, Jacobs had a double, single and two RBIs.

"I've always hit (lefties) pretty good," Jacobs said. "I haven't hit them as well this spring as I would like. But (in the spring) you see a guy two at-bats, and then you don't see him again for whatever it is. I think it will be a little different in the season when you get four at-bats off a guy, and you see him again and he's doing the same thing."

Last year while with the Mets, Jacobs had 100 at-bats, with only five of them against left-handers. He did go 2-for-5.

http://florida.marlins.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/...t=.jsp&c_id=fla

I love how Joe G. is just going to let them play.

jakey's my favorite new player, so obviously i am very happy. :thumbup

on a side note, i was listening to a marlins preview on mlb radio the other day. i only listened to half of it because there were so many errors in it and i could tell the jackass doing the preview doesn't know much at all. anyway, stern (i think that's the guys name) says jakey can't hit a breaking ball and that once pitchers figure that out they won't throw him anymore fastballs, reducing his numbers. i almost felt like calling in and telling him to watch all his at-bats from last season. he was jacking everything - fastballs, changeups, curves, sliders. it's so annoying.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.