Good opinion piece written by a fan mad at lack of Marlins local news

Accord

Press is ignoring credible Marlins

Jack Seger

Boca Raton

Posted April 10 2006

I feel that the press is not giving this young team the encouragement that it deserves. Watching them play their first three games has been an absolute delight. They are gutsy and from what I see, will do everything they can to displace the attitude of the sports writers.

We Marlins fans support them fully, only to be told by the press there is not going to be a new stadium and that they will be moving in 2010. There was also a comment made that South Florida is not a place for baseball.

Now, tell me that isn't ridiculous. How do you think that makes us as fans feel? Why this team, which has brought to Florida two World Series championships within 10 years, cannot get support from the powers that be such as our local and state governments, is beyond me.

Look at the other Major League teams that have not had this same success in more years than memory can account for. Some of them have already had their second stadiums built. Or better yet, look right in our own back yard. The Heat and the Panthers have their own arenas. Where are their championships?

In plain and simple words, powers that be, take a good look at what we have here and give them all the support you can. Stop blaming the fans. Remember what Harry Truman said, "The buck stops here."

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/opinion/l...la-news-letters

:notworthy

Last night out of curiousity I timed the amount of time the four major (anglo) tv outlets gave the Marlins opening game.

The answer a total of 27 seconds. Four outlets less than a half minute combined.

One stadium ignored Opening Day completely. The average of the other three nine second each. BTW it was CBS4 which ignored opening day completely.

Last night out of curiousity I timed the amount of time the four major (anglo) tv outlets gave the Marlins opening game.

The answer a total of 27 seconds. Four outlets less than a half minute combined.

One stadium ignored Opening Day completely. The average of the other three nine second each. BTW it was CBS4 which ignored opening day completely.

It definitely appears as though the Spanish media pays a lot more attention to the Marlins. Someone ought to see how much time they give the Marlins tonight. From my experience, Latin people in Miami tend to talk about the Marlins a lot more. Anglos are more into football and basketball and when they get around to talking about baseball they either put down the Marlins or talk about their favorite team (usually the Yanks).

I think that if Loria's going to blame the fans, then there's nothing wrong with the press doing the same thing. There's no doubt that South Florida has been pretty bad to the Marlins, but they never deserved two dismantlings.

I don't think Loria is blaming the fans. He is blaming the area (which includes fans, the press, business community AND politicians) for its lack of support on multiple fronts, notably a new baseball stadium that offers them an option to Huizenga's terrible lease.

I think that if Loria's going to blame the fans, then there's nothing wrong with the press doing the same thing. There's no doubt that South Florida has been pretty bad to the Marlins, but they never deserved two dismantlings.

Well it's reasonably obvious that you didn't listen to Loria this morning when he praised the fans several times on QAM.

So tell me, you going to the game today?

I cant stand the media to begin with...especially local news...there's something horribly dirty about it...you can just smell that they only care for ratings and juicy disgusting stories instead of the truth...its been like that forever...so it doesnt surprise me how they treat the Marlins...theyre a good reflection of South Florida in general, more interested in a quick fad than anything with a solid foundation...which the Marlins have tried to give this city time and time again...

Guest Juanky

It definitely appears as though the Spanish media pays a lot more attention to the Marlins. Someone ought to see how much time they give the Marlins tonight. From my experience, Latin people in Miami tend to talk about the Marlins a lot more. Anglos are more into football and basketball and when they get around to talking about baseball they either put down the Marlins or talk about their favorite team (usually the Yanks).

Oh, easily. The Marlins almost always lead off any sports segment no matter what month it is on Spanish stations. The guys on Spanish radio will talk endlessly about the team until they have to go and read the boxscores for the previous day. When something happens in the offseason it's always the lead story in sports no matter if it's a Monday in October.