bullpen snippet

Florida Marlins

Closer: Joe Borowski (shaky).

Key setup men: Matt Herges, Todd Wellemeyer, Josh Johnson.

The good news is that Borowski appears to have separated himself from the pack as Florida?s closer. The bad news is that he?s still Joe Borowski, a soon-to-be 35-year-old reliever who hasn?t been good since 2003. If he hangs on to the job all year, it will almost certainly just be because he was the least bad option of a lot of really bad options.

Everybody in Florida?s bullpen seems to walk too many people. Marlins relievers have 51 strikeouts in 56 1/3 innings, which is pretty nice, but they have 37 walks in that same time, which is not nice at all. Whether it?s Borowski, Herges, Johnson or somebody else pitching at the end of the game, it?s going to be hard to be successful if you?re walking somebody every other inning (or even more frequently than that).

There are other reasons to question Girardi than bullpen usage, because as the author states, in the bold they're all pretty much undesirable options. Still wouldn't mind either he or Herges to catch fire in a bottle so we can trade one near the deadline.

Herges came up with a HUGE out yesterday, got to give him credit there.

I'm glad Borowski had a good save also, the more confidence he gets the better. I'd like it if (as Sham mentioned) Borowski had a great 1st half & brought up something back in a trade deadline deal, but I can't imagine he'd be worth much. It would take a Todd Jones-ish 1st half.

While I agree with the article and I that I have no faith in the current bullpen with the exception of Johnson, we all have to agree that our bullpen is the only part of the team that is infused with "stop-gap" players. The only other position that is close is center field. I have faith that when the opportunity arises that we can afford to spend more on the team, we are gonna see alot of bullpen help come in and we will start winning on a regular basis.

While I agree with the article and I that I have no faith in the current bullpen with the exception of Johnson, we all have to agree that our bullpen is the only part of the team that is infused with "stop-gap" players. The only other position that is close is center field. I have faith that when the opportunity arises that we can afford to spend more on the team, we are gonna see alot of bullpen help come in and we will start winning on a regular basis.

just because his ERA is low? He's talked a ton, blew the 2nd Cub's game...I mean I know he's got mid-rotation ceiling, and he should probably adjust, but his control was terrible in his 05 cup of coffe, in spring training, and it's still bad.

i'm thinkin Herges is good for 1 or 2 outs... but thats it.

that cubs game he blew... he got 2 outs just fine to get out of the 7th, but then girardi kept him in for the 8th and he gave up the game...

and i dont think Borowski has looked all that bad.

i think maybe Martinez will end the year as the closer.