Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

MarlinsBaseball.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Jaguars receiver Jimmy Smith retires after 12 seasons

Featured Replies

JACKSONVILLE, Fla. … (AP) … Jimmy Smith, one of the most prolific receivers in NFL history, has decided to retire.

 

Smith, a five-time Pro Bowl selection who overcame several health problems and a drug addiction during his 13 seasons, scheduled a news conference Thursday to announce his decision. His retirement was first reported by FoxSports.com.

 

The 37-year-old receiver led the Jags with 70 catches for 1,023 yards and six touchdowns last season. His ranks seventh in NFL history with 862 receptions and 11th in receiving yards. He has more receptions than every receiver in the Hall of Fame, and only Marvin Harrison has more catches and yards receiving than Smith since 1996.

 

Smith contemplated retirement during the offseason, but Jaguars coach Jack Del Rio asked him to take his time and be sure he was making the right choice. His announcement came a day before the team opened a three-day minicamp.

 

Smith's longevity was surprising … even to him … especially considering what he overcame.

 

In 2001, he had three operations to remove scar tissue from his abdomen. Some questioned whether he would play again, but he caught 112 passes for 1,373 yards … despite being arrested in November that year for suspicion of drunken driving. Tests later revealed he had cocaine in his system. He vehemently denied using the drug.

 

He was suspended for the first four games of the 2003 season for violating the league's substance-abuse policy. He then publicly acknowledged an addiction and spent several weeks in rehab.

 

He had other issues early in his career, too.

 

The third receiver selected in the 1992 draft behind Desmond Howard and Carl Pickens, Smith broke his leg and missed most of his rookie season. In 1993, he needed an emergency appendectomy and suffered through infection and stomach problems. He missed the entire year. He didn't play in 1994, either, after getting cut by Dallas and Philadelphia.

 

In 1995, he caught on with the expansion Jaguars after his mother sent coach Tom Coughlin a binder of press clippings to help him earn a tryout.

 

He made the most of his chance and set receiving records that could be hard to break.

 

 

 

 

This caught me by surprise this morning....Jags are going to miss him...i know they have Fred Taylor and compnay but this was one of Leftwich's big targets

Wilford, Williams, and Jones better pick up their games. I think Fred Taylor is more or less done. It's time for Maurice Drew to step up and show what he can do with the big boys.

(yeah Fred Taylor's pretty spent)

 

 

 

but holy crap.... damn I guess I knew this was coming eventually, but wow.

 

Overcame a great deal, and quietly has become one of the greatest receivers of the past decade.

 

Jaguars first Hall of Fame player?

I am curious if he will go to the hall when players like Art Monk and Michael Irvin arent in it. Although I believe he has the stats for it over his career.

 

I think if Lynn Swann is in then he should be.

He has been my favorite player for the past, almost decade now actually. The way he talked in the off-season, I expected this to be his final year anyway. Still, a bit of a shocker, as it sounded like he was ready to go this season.

 

As for the HOF, he's got the numbers, but two things lacking: he hasn't played in a Super Bowl (he does have a ring from Dallas' win when he was on IR) and he doesn't have many TD catches. I REALLY hope he gets in though. He certainly deserves it.

I am curious if he will go to the hall when players like Art Monk and Michael Irvin arent in it. Although I believe he has the stats for it over his career.

 

I think if Lynn Swann is in then he should be.

 

Art Monk sucks. He's just a compiler. Go look at his stats. Michael Irvin isn't that great, but what he did for his team was impressive.

 

I'm not sure if Jimmy makes the Hall of Fame. The era we're in has so many good/great WRs that he could get lost in the shuffle.

I think he is and was one of the most talented recievers. He still has some game in him he should not retire just yet. He was an important asset to the Jaguar offense.

Most underrated receiver of all time IMHO.

 

 

I don't know enough about NFL history to tell you if that's true...but I do believe over the last couple of seasons there wasn't a guy more underrated.

Smith is an AWESOME guy. I know he had a drug problem but he was great with kids and in the city of Jacksonville.

 

An actual icon that just focused on playing football...unlike Owens and others.

 

Should be in the Hall!

I'm sure we all heard on ESPN that Jimmy Smith has more career catches than any WR that is in the Hall of Fame.

 

That sounds good to me.

I'm sure we all heard on ESPN that Jimmy Smith has more career catches than any WR that is in the Hall of Fame.

 

That sounds good to me.

 

But the NFL has changed considerably. Most of the WRs in the HOF didn't play in the wide-open passing era that has been going for the past 20 or so years.

It seems now a-days if your not making extreme Td celebrations as a reciever than your flying under the radar. Smith should make it to the HOF

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.