Anyone into South FL High School Baseball?

IMO there's no better place for HS ball than in South Fla, both Broward and Dade (though I hear Dade prob has the edge). Anyways, I love to see not only the incredible depth of players we have hear, but also the 1st-round-draft studs that represent the 954 and 305. I've seen RHP Matt Latos from Coconut Creek HS

My report:

-Hardest thrower in FL, cruises around 93-95

-Decent motion, stays very tall, which is an asset (6"6)

-Hard bite on slider, hangs it sometimes though

-Changeup, not much to it yet

-Dominates high school batters

-Good future, actually supposed to be a first round pick

Anyways, anyone else wanna comment or tell a story on any teams, players, games, etc?

well the two best hitters of local ties coming up in the June Draft would be from Monsignor Pace High School.

The left side of the infield is expected to go in the first round.

SS Adrian Cardenas is expected to go late in the first round after not being on the radar until this year set the Miami-Dade county record for home runs this season and is one shy of setting the state record with 18. He has one game left this afternoon against Jacksonville Bishop Kenny for the state title.

3B Christian "Nene" Marrero is the second highest rated high school player regardless of position according to baseball america in the preseason and he has done nothing to hurt that claim. In the state semifinal he hit his 10th home run of the season and is playing for the title today.

Yea that's exciting that Cardenas has a shot at the state record; imagine breaking the record AND winning the championship!

Here are the results/upcoming state title games:

6A: Flanagan (28-3) vs Sarasota (27-4) TODAY

5A: Pace def. Hillsborough (29-4) 11-7 (not sure who Pace is, not the one in S. Fla though)

4A: Bishop Kenny (27-3) vs Monsignor Pace (27-4) TODAY

3A: Episcopal (19-13) def. Florida Christian (24-7) 8-5

2A: Arlington Country Day (20-12) def. Santa Fe Catholic (23-9) 4-2

1A: Brito Miami Private (27-5) def. Eagle's View (23-7) 4-3

Flangan's won their last two games 8-7 and 1-0...They've got a chance to win 2 state championships in a row, and they have their ace on the mound, Glenn Witkowski (13-0 1.79 ERA)

Guest CrimsonCane

3B Christian "Nene" Marrero is the second highest rated high school player regardless of position according to baseball america in the preseason and he has done nothing to hurt that claim. In the state semifinal he hit his 10th home run of the season and is playing for the title today.

The kid is absolutely amazing. I was on the same team as him back when he was in 6th grade (I was in 8th). Even at that age, you knew this guy was going to be ridiculous. He had so much natural talent that it was scary. A phenom defensively, he also hit a ton. He left my school (it's 6th-12th), but I'd always see his stats in the high school section of the Herald every once in a while. I saw him play a couple of games too and he's as good as they say.

There's an article about him on MLB.com. Here it is if you want to check it out: http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/article...t2006&fext=.jsp

Monsignor Pace won the state class 4A championship 15-9 over Jacksonville Bishop Kenny on Saturday.

Cardenas went 5-5 with 3 2B, 3B, 4 runs and 5 RBI, while Marrero added a two-run homer.

Pace coach states that He will stop watching Baseball if both these guys don't go in the first round.

Cardenas finished the season batting .630 this season with 18 HRs and alot of RBI :p

Guest Festa

My T-Breds lost. :(

What the hell is a T-Bred anyway?

They beat my old HS Panthers recently.

A T-Bred is short for a Thoroughbred. A Thoroughbred is a horse.

Pace shortstop Adrian Cardenas, who fell one HR shy of the state

record (19) and helped lead the Spartans to the Class 4A state

title, has been named the Gatorade Player of the Year in Florida for baseball and a finalist for Student Sports' National POY.

Cardenas is the first South Florida player to receiver the

Gatorade Player of the Year award since Westminster Christian's

Alex Rodriguez in 1993.

now that is what you call pretty elite company

Ferguson H.S. is the Team of the Future down here in South Florida....This year was the first year they fielded a Varsity team and they won 11 games with 18 freshmen and 2 sophmores in the hardest district in Dade County.....

Im very close to the Furgeson Baseball team....they are very good for their ages and down the road they are going to be unstoppable. I trained with them last summer, there program is one of the best in High School.