June 19, 200620 yr I wish we would have given the call to someone else with more talent.. What a stupid thing to say. I apologize for being so blunt but between AA and AAA the Marlins have maybe 8-10 guys they could have brought up for this task and they chose him for a reason. With all the scouting reports and organizational information at their disposal from coaches, managers, developmental people, doesn't it dawn on you that maybe, just maybe there's a reason Beinfest and Fleming and Hill decided on Fulchino? I guess not.
June 19, 200620 yr I wish we would have given the call to someone else with more talent.. What a stupid thing to say. I apologize for being so blunt but between AA and AAA the Marlins have maybe 8-10 guys they could have brought up for this task and they chose him for a reason. With all the scouting reports and organizational information at their disposal from coaches, managers, developmental people, doesn't it dawn on you that maybe, just maybe there's a reason Beinfest and Fleming and Hill decided on Fulchino? I guess not. Most likely because he is one of the few guys that won't have his growth retarded by sitting on the bench for long stretches at a time. I mean this in regards to the younger talent, not in reference to the Brad Clontzs and Joe Horgans of the world.
June 19, 200620 yr I wish we would have given the call to someone else with more talent.. What a stupid thing to say. I apologize for being so blunt but between AA and AAA the Marlins have maybe 8-10 guys they could have brought up for this task and they chose him for a reason. With all the scouting reports and organizational information at their disposal from coaches, managers, developmental people, doesn't it dawn on you that maybe, just maybe there's a reason Beinfest and Fleming and Hill decided on Fulchino? I guess not. Most likely because he is one of the few guys that won't have his growth retarded by sitting on the bench for long stretches at a time. I mean this in regards to the younger talent, not in reference to the Brad Clontzs and Joe Horgans of the world. I think that's a big part of it.
June 19, 200620 yr Was Fulchino with the marlins last year or is he one of those journeymen who are on alot of AAA teams?
June 19, 200620 yr He's been slowly working his way through the Marlins system since late 2001. Here's his baseballcube stats- http://thebaseballcube.com/players/F/jeff-fulchino.shtml
June 19, 200620 yr Not sure about this move. There's no assurances he'll be used in strictly a mop-up role. I fear his lack of talent and less than dominant stuff will harm the team's ability to win. Additionally he is highly unlikely to remain a fixture with the team negating any beneficial side-effect(s). I'd rather see that 12th spot in the bullpen rotate between talented prospects that can't quite crack the rotation than journeymen and junkballers.
June 19, 200620 yr Who here has seen him pitch? Anyone? How can you criticize him without seeing him in the majors? Also, I find it EXTREMELY laughable to see anyone criticizing Beinfest, Girardi & co. after seeing what the team has done in the last month. Wait and see how it pans out before jumping all over the move.
June 19, 200620 yr Upon further review, I understand exactly why this guy is here. Messenger punching Olsen did us wonders, maybe this guy can be an enforcer as well. Not the mention that he would have a high value in a bench-clreaing brawl.
June 19, 200620 yr Who here has seen him pitch? Anyone? How can you criticize him without seeing him in the majors? Also, I find it EXTREMELY laughable to see anyone criticizing Beinfest, Girardi & co. after seeing what the team has done in the last month. Wait and see how it pans out before jumping all over the move. I happen to think it's a fine move, but since when are we not allowed to criticize?
June 19, 200620 yr Well I just think we shouldn't before we see how it actually pans out, that's all I mean. If he stinks up the joint then by all means, it will be a stupid move.
June 19, 200620 yr Who here has seen him pitch? Anyone? How can you criticize him without seeing him in the majors? Also, I find it EXTREMELY laughable to see anyone criticizing Beinfest, Girardi & co. after seeing what the team has done in the last month. Wait and see how it pans out before jumping all over the move. Strikeout rate
June 19, 200620 yr I want to see Travis Bowyer in the majors soon. It would help if he were healthy first
June 19, 200620 yr I want to see Travis Bowyer in the majors soon. I want to see Travis Bowyer in the minors soon.
June 19, 200620 yr I want to see Travis Bowyer in the majors soon. I want to see Travis Bowyer in the minors soon. lololololol :thumbup
June 19, 200620 yr With all the quality starts we're getting, having a top prospect in the long relief role is clearly not desirable, so Petit got sent down. Bringing up a guy like Fulchino at this point makes sense. Keep in mind Fulchino is getting closer to his 6 years in the minor leagues and free agency, and with some decent performances during his career it makes sense to take a look at him at the major league level. We also at some point need to start clearing out some of our older pitchers to make room for the younger guys coming through, so we need to figure out which ones should be kept and which ones to let go. If Fulchino has some good outings it also helps increase our tradeable pitching depth, allowing us to move closer to acquiring a young CF.
June 19, 200620 yr I can't believe this wasn't done sooner because Petit hadn't pitched in a long time, even during low leverage situations.
June 19, 200620 yr Vargas. Why did he dissapear all of a sudden. What, he turned horrible all at once? Screwed somebody's wife? He's out with an oblique strain
June 19, 200620 yr I wish we would have given the call to someone else with more talent.. What a stupid thing to say. I apologize for being so blunt but between AA and AAA the Marlins have maybe 8-10 guys they could have brought up for this task and they chose him for a reason. With all the scouting reports and organizational information at their disposal from coaches, managers, developmental people, doesn't it dawn on you that maybe, just maybe there's a reason Beinfest and Fleming and Hill decided on Fulchino? I guess not. Most likely because he is one of the few guys that won't have his growth retarded by sitting on the bench for long stretches at a time. I mean this in regards to the younger talent, not in reference to the Brad Clontzs and Joe Horgans of the world. I think that's a big part of it. From speaking with Mike Hill in regards to Jeff Fulchino: You got it(having Fulchino up and sitting on the bench wont hurt his development) and Fulchino is a long man.
June 19, 200620 yr But having Fulchino sitting on the bench does not help out the development of many pitching prospects you'd learn something for their prospective future with the Marlins by training and sitting on the bench with major leaguers watching major leaguers and occassionally playing against major leaguers. Nor will it likely help our win-loss record.
June 19, 200620 yr What good does it do to have Petit on the bench pitching every other week for the rest of the year? I mean it's not like this guy is going to see more than 15 innings a month. Just an extra arm in case someone gets rocked or Marlins are up huge. He fills a current need. He won't be around past this year but he'll do the job for now Who would you suggest that they call up?
June 19, 200620 yr Granted, Petit wasn't pitching innings, but to say the experience was a waste and to say he had no impact is bogus. You need to strike a balanced approach. Giving your future players both lessons and opportunities. Petit was getting an unbalanced amount of one. Surely there's a player in the minors who projects to have a future with the Marlins that could benefit from some sporadic use in a much advanced level. You can't really suggest Fulchino is not going to pitch a meaningful inning
June 19, 200620 yr No one moved off the 40 man...had room for one more...and Fulchino took it.... Weird, I count 40 before Fulchino. 23 Pitchers: Borowski, Bostick, Bowyer, Delgado, H. Garcia, J. Garcia, Herges, Johnson, Kensing, Martinez, Messenger, Mitre, Moehler, Nolasco, Olsen, Petit, Pinto, Resop, Sanchez, Tankersley, Tyler, Vargas, Willis 2 Catchers: Olivo, Treanor 8 Infielders: Amezaga, Andino, Cabrera, Helms, Jacobs, Ramirez, Stokes, Uggla 7 Outfielders: Abercrombie, Aguila, Borchard, Hermida, Reed, Ross, Willingham I am allowing for the possibility that i am completely wrong, but I beleive that the 60-day DL clears up a 40 man roster spot, so we have an opening until Mitre comes back. I really don't understand what this guy brings to the organization, but i guess having a guy who has no real future filling up Petit's role of long relief/mop up won't hurt. No, you're right, Mitre's off it on the 60 day DL.
June 19, 200620 yr Granted, Petit wasn't pitching innings, but to say the experience was a waste and to say he had no impact is bogus. You need to strike a balanced approach. Giving your future players both lessons and opportunities. Petit was getting an unbalanced amount of one. Surely there's a player in the minors who projects to have a future with the Marlins that could benefit from some sporadic use in a much advanced level. You can't really suggest Fulchino is not going to pitch a meaningful inning Rferry, you I think are painting a somewhat, but not surprising, picture of Fulchino especially since I'm willing to bet you've never seen him throw so much as one pitch. Here's a link to his numbers as he worked his way through the Marlins system. I'll leave it others to make up their own minds about what his chances are of contributing. For myself, based on his 2004 numbers in Jupiter and Carolina, and his performance in a hitter-friendly PCL, I'm willing to give the guy the benefit of the doubt until I've seen him pitch a few times. Certainly he deserves at least that much before we bash him. 2002-2005 http://thebaseballcube.com/players/F/jeff-fulchino.shtml Here's 2006 - 3.91 ERA in the PCL with 13 starts http://www.minorleaguebaseball.com/app/mil..._pbp&pid=445246
June 19, 200620 yr To suggest Fulchino will likely not be part of the Marlins' long-term plans isn't painting a distorted picture. It's a reality of circumstances, of Fulchino's record in the minors, his skills as scouted and the incredible competition he faces from other pictures. I will admit I pay more attention to the complexities of the bullpen than most and that I fall in line with Earl Weaver's approach of throwing talented young arms into the bullpen. So, Fulchino has already one strike against him. Ungs deserves a chance too, but he and Fulchino are still way down the list of who should be granted the opportunity, whether that be a learning experience, critical role, mop-up role or some combination thereof.
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.