June 19, 200620 yr To suggest Fulchino will likely not be part of the Marlins' long-term plans isn't painting a distorted picture. It's a reality of circumstances, of Fulchino's record in the minors, his skills as scouted and the incredible competition he faces from other pictures. I will admit I pay more attention to the complexities of the bullpen than most and that I fall in line with Earl Weaver's approach of throwing talented young arms into the bullpen. So, Fulchino has already one strike against him. Ungs deserves a chance too, but he and Fulchino are still way down the list of who should be granted the opportunity, whether that be a learning experience, critical role, mop-up role or some combination thereof. Obviously people who know what they are doing think otherwise. And in a comparative way this is how you described Fulchino, "I'd rather see that 12th spot in the bullpen rotate between talented prospects that can't quite crack the rotation than journeymen and junkballers." I don't see how steadily moving through the organization qualifies him to be defined that way. Journeymen, almost by definition move from organization to organization, and that's not the case here, he's only been in one organization and he can't accused of being a "junkballer" either. This isn't the second-coming of Josh Beckett to be sure and he may fail, but at least give him the chance to succeed before you write him off.
June 19, 200620 yr HOLY CRAP! Well, are you sure he is a pitcher or is he playing body guard for a benches unloading brawl? I wish we would have given the call to someone else with more talent.. You know how Admin said some of the Marlins especially the ones in the minors come on here and scope around every once in a while? Now imagine if HE *Large notice to the extremly mean face and body-builder like body* read this Do you WANT to die or something? :lol
June 19, 200620 yr I agree with rferry that fulchino will most liley not be part of the team's long term future. However, i also must note that petit needs to get starts in the minors, b/c I believe this organization sees petit as a starter of the future and a reliever. So getting him some major league experience is important, but getting him innings in general is more important, so he can work on his stuff and be ready when the time comes for him to start for the marls
June 19, 200620 yr Scott Tyler was converted to a reliever. Suprised they didnt give him a shot, espicially since he is already on the 40 man. But good luck to Fulchino.
June 19, 200620 yr Scott Tyler is walking nearly a man per inning along with giving up a hit per inning in AA, good for a spectacular 1.86 WHIP. He's also walking more batters than he strikes out, albeit by a very close margin. The guy hasn't come even close to mastering AA. There's zero reason to give him a shot in the majors at this point, even if he is on the 40 man. There are many other pitchers on the 40 man roster who deserve a shot before Tyler.
June 19, 200620 yr I don't have a problem with Petit being sent down to get work, it's with who replaced him. Fulchino has a minor league strikeout rate that wouldn't even frighten Josias Manzanillo and Ismael Valdez. Those who know prospects and projecting ballplayers know the strikeout is the most telling sign that a pitcher will succeed at the next level. Could they be wrong? Have they been wrong in the past? Sure. But I'd much rather have Cody Ross coming off the bench than Matt Padgett. Same for Fulchino whose place on the roster could be better utilized by Resop, German, Pinto, Ungs and that's just arms from AAA.
June 19, 200620 yr I don't have a problem with Petit being sent down to get work, it's with who replaced him. Fulchino has a minor league strikeout rate that wouldn't even frighten Josias Manzanillo and Ismael Valdez. Those who know prospects and projecting ballplayers know the strikeout is the most telling sign that a pitcher will succeed at the next level. Could they be wrong? Have they been wrong in the past? Sure. But I'd much rather have Cody Ross coming off the bench than Matt Padgett. Same for Fulchino whose place on the roster could be better utilized by Resop, German, Pinto, Ungs and that's just arms from AAA. I wouldnt say strikeout rate is the most important. What matters more is the ratio of strikeouts to walks as that tends to indicate control. Both hits per innings pitched and home runs given up also matter a great deal too, probably more so than then pure strikeout totals. None of that of course really changes the issue regarding Fulchino. The key here with the Fulchino call up is so they can see exactly what they've got as its close to final decision time on his future. If he completely bombs he could very possibly be out of the organisation altogether next year, thats the point, to find out. Most of our other younger and better prospects have a lot more time to go before we need to decide on whether they fit into our long term plans.
June 19, 200620 yr Fulchino wasn't entirely off the radar screen. Check out this report by Frisaro on TSN from last November... WINTER WONDER: RHP Jeff Fulchino, competing for Gigantes in the Dominican Republic, likely will have an opportunity to make the club as a long reliever and spot start. The 26-year-old has good size and throws between 90-92 mph with a fastball, slider and changeup. When drafted in the eighth round in 2001, the righthander was considered to have a strong arm but his mechanics needed work. He's been used primarily as a starter throughout his minor league career. http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn/viewtopic.php?t=38866
June 19, 200620 yr Personally I would rather have seen another player from probably the worst draft in Marlins history be called up in Ungs. That said I've seen Fulchino pitch with Jupiter and while not overwhelming he appeared to have decent stuff at times and I wish him well.
June 19, 200620 yr To suggest Fulchino will likely not be part of the Marlins' long-term plans isn't painting a distorted picture. It's a reality of circumstances, of Fulchino's record in the minors, his skills as scouted and the incredible competition he faces from other pictures. I will admit I pay more attention to the complexities of the bullpen than most and that I fall in line with Earl Weaver's approach of throwing talented young arms into the bullpen. So, Fulchino has already one strike against him. Ungs deserves a chance too, but he and Fulchino are still way down the list of who should be granted the opportunity, whether that be a learning experience, critical role, mop-up role or some combination thereof. Obviously people who know what they are doing think otherwise. And in a comparative way this is how you described Fulchino, "I'd rather see that 12th spot in the bullpen rotate between talented prospects that can't quite crack the rotation than journeymen and junkballers." I don't see how steadily moving through the organization qualifies him to be defined that way. Journeymen, almost by definition move from organization to organization, and that's not the case here, he's only been in one organization and he can't accused of being a "junkballer" either. This isn't the second-coming of Josh Beckett to be sure and he may fail, but at least give him the chance to succeed before you write him off. basically rferry was trying to say that guys like Fulchino are literally a dime a dozen...but I think management might have chosen him because they wanted the guys with higher ceilings to work out whatever issues they're having (mechanical, etc) at a lower level. Plus they don't have to worry about a Resop, etc sitting on the bench at the big league level. Fulchino may not get many innings at all.
June 19, 200620 yr It's not like the guy is going to come up and close out games or come in to work against the opposing teams 3-4-5. He will do what Herges is doing.
June 19, 200620 yr It's not like the guy is going to come up and close out games or come in to work against the opposing teams 3-4-5. He will do what Herges is doing. Herges closed a game the other night, i believe
June 19, 200620 yr My take of this move is that Petit was called up to take Moe's place in the rotation but Moe has secured his spot in the rotation in fact he is now pitching ver well. Petit is better served as a starter so Fulchino was called for the mop-up role and Petit will be now pitching in a regular rotation and continue to develop. Fulchino has been rewarded for his hard work with a cup of coffee (cafe con leche). He probably won't pitch much but you will get no complaints. He has made it to The Show!
June 20, 200620 yr I don't know, I don't think he was called up, I think he called Joe and told him he was coming up :lol
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.