Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

MarlinsBaseball.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

The 2006 NBA Draft

Featured Replies

Any thoughts? Bulls fans thinking Aldridge or Thomas? Im thinking the Magic are going to go with one of the three of Foye, Carney, or Brewer if they dont trade up to try and get Roy or Gay...which I dont think they can.

LaMarcus or trade down.

 

Tyrus Thomas is an absolute waste of a draft pick. I've never seen a more unproven player be so hyped/well thought of then Thomas.

I wouldn't mind dealing Odom for those Bulls' first round picks. I have read rumors about it, but I doubt it happens.

Brandon Roy will be the player most likely to make an immediate impact in the league out of this draft class.

 

I think his game translates very well to the Association. He has good size and he is NBA strong already. Mid-range game is top notch. I see him making a smooth and easy transition next year.

 

As for the Magic I originally thought Redick would be a good fit, but your backcourt would be one of the smallest in the league and probably get manhandled defensively. I think Redick in the right spot is better then a Brewer, but for the Magic he makes sense and I would be shocked if he isn't there at no. 11.

There's rumors about AI to the Hawks for their pick.....I hope it doesnt happen

If I'm the Bulls, Aldridge is more valuable to me than anything that you could hope for in a trade as it seems unlikely that teams would aggressively move up to get Gay or Roy.

 

Really, Aldridge fits in well in Chicago and more than anything gives them flexibility and quality in the front court.

There's rumors about AI to the Hawks for their pick.....I hope it doesnt happen

 

FWIW, Atlanta will be taking Shelden Williams with that pick.

 

If I'm the Bulls, Aldridge is more valuable to me than anything that you could hope for in a trade as it seems unlikely that teams would aggressively move up to get Gay or Roy.

 

Really, Aldridge fits in well in Chicago and more than anything gives them flexibility and quality in the front court.

 

Yeah, and if he isn't there I hope we trade the pick.

Yeah, and if he isn't there I hope we trade the pick.

 

 

Bergini or Berzini, whatever, is probably the #1.

I'm excited to see where Mardy Collins goes in the 1st round.

According to ESPN.com's Chad Ford:

 

The Heat are trying to use Dorell Wright to move up in the draft to get their hands on a Pat Riley favorite -- Guillermo Diaz.

 

Can't say I am a fan of that move, or that it makes much sense. I am totally against that, and hopefully, he is just making stuff up to float out there since the article was geared to say what everyteam is trying to do and the Heat don't have a pick.

Guillermo actually reminds me a lot of Glen Rice for some reason.

 

Any thoughts? Bulls fans thinking Aldridge or Thomas? Im thinking the Magic are going to go with one of the three of Foye, Carney, or Brewer if they dont trade up to try and get Roy or Gay...which I dont think they can.

 

Hope you're not talkin about the Gata.

Guillermo actually reminds me a lot of Glen Rice for some reason.

Besides being half a foot shorter, playing a different position, having a tremendously less successful college career, and not being anywhere close to as good of a 3-point shooter, how exactly does he remind you a lot of Glen Rice?

Guillermo actually reminds me a lot of Glen Rice for some reason.

 

 

Any thoughts? Bulls fans thinking Aldridge or Thomas? Im thinking the Magic are going to go with one of the three of Foye, Carney, or Brewer if they dont trade up to try and get Roy or Gay...which I dont think they can.

 

Hope you're not talkin about the Gata.

I think he is talking about the kid from Bama

Guillermo actually reminds me a lot of Glen Rice for some reason.

 

 

Any thoughts? Bulls fans thinking Aldridge or Thomas? Im thinking the Magic are going to go with one of the three of Foye, Carney, or Brewer if they dont trade up to try and get Roy or Gay...which I dont think they can.

 

Hope you're not talkin about the Gata.

I think he is talking about the kid from Bama

 

You misspelled "Arkansas"

Guillermo actually reminds me a lot of Glen Rice for some reason.

 

 

Any thoughts? Bulls fans thinking Aldridge or Thomas? Im thinking the Magic are going to go with one of the three of Foye, Carney, or Brewer if they dont trade up to try and get Roy or Gay...which I dont think they can.

 

Hope you're not talkin about the Gata.

I think he is talking about the kid from Bama

 

You misspelled "Arkansas"

My apologies... I knew it was a SEC school with red in their jerseys :D

I have no idea how trustoworthy this is but acording to this guy, the Bulls and Suns are talking about a trade that would send Shawn Marion to the Bulls for Tyson Chandler and the no. 2 pick in the draft to the Suns.

Why would the Suns be interested in a deal like that? Aren't Amare and Tyson similar players? I'm in no way suggesting that they are in the same league, but their styles of play seem very similar.

Guillermo actually reminds me a lot of Glen Rice for some reason.

Besides being half a foot shorter, playing a different position, having a tremendously less successful college career, and not being anywhere close to as good of a 3-point shooter, how exactly does he remind you a lot of Glen Rice?

He isn't half a foot shorter; G Money was a SG/SF (or am I just dreaming that up?); Diaz is a perimeter scorer;

and I just see them as similar.

 

OH well, I'm pretty much screwed for life if I can't have an opinion.

 

Come to think of it, the height difference is accurate. Don't know why I thought Glen was shorter.

You can have an opinion, I just (and don't think anyone else would) agree with it.

 

It's like comparing a race horse and a lamp, they have virtually no similarities.

  • Author

This draft is starting to become really chaotic. I wouldnt be surprised to see a bunch of trades go down:

 

Here is some info from Chad Ford, which should always be taken with a grain of salt, especially when his source is an agent :

 

Promises for Aldridge and Roy?

posted: Thursday, June 22, 2006 | Feedback | Print Entry

 

Michael Jordan got a rude welcome back to the NBA on Thursday.

It was his first full day in Charlotte as co-owner of the Bobcats, and he had planned a big predraft workout with Tyrus Thomas, LaMarcus Aldridge, Brandon Roy and Rudy Gay.

 

Michael was there. But of the four prospects, only Gay showed.

 

According to the Bobcats, Thomas (groin), Aldridge (ankle) and Roy (hamstring) all claimed injuries kept them from working out for His Airness.

 

However, injuries apparently were not the real reason, at least for Aldridge and Roy.

Arn Tellem, who is the agent for both Aldridge and Roy, told me Thursday evening that while Roy had "a slight hamstring issue," injuries were not the reason his clients didn't show.

 

"They didn't show because I'm very comfortable where they're going in the draft," Tellem said.

Asked if that meant that a specific team had committed to taking them, Tellem said, "I know where they're going, yes."

 

As you would expect, Tellem wasn't as forthcoming about exactly which teams would select Aldridge and Roy, but he did tell me that both players were done working out.

 

But why not work out for the No. 3 team in the draft?

 

Does that mean Aldridge and Roy are going No. 1 and No. 2?

 

Not necessarily, according to Tellem.

 

"I've never been caught up on the number of where a guy goes," Tellem said. "It's about finding the right situation for our clients. In this case, we've found a good fit for both of them, so there's no need for them to work out for anyone else."

 

Does that mean Tellem would discourage other teams from drafting Aldridge or Roy?

 

"I don't think it will get to that," Tellem said. "Both are going very high. But if that needs to happen, I'll do it."

 

Considering the rumors that Thomas already has a promise (which his agents vehemently deny), something strange is happening.

 

How can all of these guys have promises?

 

Combine those reports with Tellem's confirmation of the rumor that Duke's Shelden Williams also has a "high promise," and that means three or four guys are off the board in the early stages of the lottery, potentially.

 

If the reports are true, either someone took a promise later in the lottery than expected or one of these guys thinks he's going higher than he is.

 

Even if you doubt Thomas has a promise, you still have to fit those other three into the picture somewhere at the top, if they indeed have promises.

 

Here's what we think we know:

 

Toronto said as of late Wednesday that its decision was still "wide open." I don't think the Raptors have promised anyone anything -- it wouldn't make much sense for the team holding the No. 1 pick to have made a promise.

 

Also on Wednesday, a Bulls source denied making a deal with Thomas and said they were still deciding what to do with the No. 2 pick.

 

Certainly it appears the Bobcats, picking No. 3, haven't made a promise. To think they've made a promise to Aldridge or Roy, we'd have to believe they had Jordan come down to

 

Charlotte and go through an elaborate ruse with the the complicity of several players and agents.

 

The Blazers, who have the No. 4 pick, have been widely thought to be after Adam Morrison, not Aldridge or Roy.

 

The Hawks, holding the No. 5 pick, are widely believed to be the team that has made a promise to draft Williams.

 

All in all, it's far from clear what this new information from Tellem means for the draft.

I can only speculate, but here are three scenarios that make some sense:

 

1. Let's say the Bulls have decided to draft Roy at No. 2 or they've agreed to a trade and are taking Roy for another team. The Lakers have been after Roy and there's been a lot of speculation about Lamar Odom coming to Chicago in such a trade.

 

And let's say the Blazers have decided that getting an interior presence like LaMarcus Aldridge, who can play some center, is more important drafting than a fan favorite like Adam Morrison. Aldridge, in this scenario, would know he's not going to Chicago and would figure he can get more playing time in Portland than in Charlotte, which has a crowded frontcourt.

 

2. Or the situation could be reversed, with the Bulls deciding to take Aldridge and the Blazers wanting Roy. But in that scenario, I can't understand why Roy or his agent would think that the Blazers would be a better fit than the Bobcats.

 

3. There has been talk of Houston moving up a few spots in the draft to No. 5 or No. 6 in exchange for Luther Head and the No. 8 pick. If that happens, the Rockets could be moving up to nab Roy. Remember, his agent, Tellem, also negotiated the trade that got Tracy McGrady, another Tellem client, to Houston, and Tellem may be trying to deliver another vital player to help T-Mac in his title quest.

 

Tellem's information adds up to a potential problem for Charlotte, which might have to either select between players who haven't worked out for Jordan -- including Aldridge, Roy, Thomas and Morrison -- or take Rudy Gay, who has worked out for Jordan but is thought not to be his first choice.

 

In fact, Thursday's turn of events was enough to tick off Bobcats GM Bernie Bickerstaff, who said he was "frustrated" by the wave of cancelations.

 

"Bottom line, we're just not happy with the way things went down,'' he told the Charlotte Observer.

The draft just got a whole lot more mysterious, folks.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.