I Wonder

Marlins Troll

I had read what the exact number was somewhere, but between revenue sharing and everything, I think its supposed to come out to about $60 million or so. I could be wrong, but maybe someone can find this piece of information up.

That is what I also heard.

I had read what the exact number was somewhere, but between revenue sharing and everything, I think its supposed to come out to about $60 million or so. I could be wrong, but maybe someone can find this piece of information up.

Not bad, we can get the top 3/4 awesome players in the FA with that money.

Not bad, we can get the top 3/4 awesome players in the FA with that money.

Whatever profits Loria makes this year better be going to upping his contribution to the stadium. That's about the only possible justification for the payroll purge. I'm thinking the Marlins and the County will meet halfway, $50 million each, to get the stadium shortfall covered and the deal done. Maybe with a little "loan" against revenue sharing from MLB.

With a low payroll team and the revenue sharing plan from MLB. How much money can Loria can afford on spending next year on FA.

Probally around $50M in Loria back pocket.

According to Forbes the Marlins made a $3 million profit in '04 and lost about $12 million in '05. With the reduction in payroll, the reduction in attendance and the increase in revenue sharing I think the Forbes estimate for the '06 Marlins will be a profit of around $30 to $35 million. An article in the Sun-Sentinel a few months ago speculated the '06 profit would be $30 million.

With a low payroll team and the revenue sharing plan from MLB. How much money can Loria can afford on spending next year on FA.

According to Forbes the Marlins made a $3 million profit in '04 and lost about $12 million in '05. With the reduction in payroll, the reduction in attendance and the increase in revenue sharing I think the Forbes estimate for the '06 Marlins will be a profit of around $30 to $35 million. An article in the Sun-Sentinel a few months ago speculated the '06 profit would be $30 million.

Well in 05, that is Beinfest fault for signing Delgado. Delgado contract = roofless.

If he whines after the season that they're still losing money, somebody shoot him.

I would hate to end up in the situation that exists in Pittsburgh right now. It's very similar to the Bengals from a few years ago, when the ownership was content to spend as little as possible on the team, and pocket the earnings.

Well in 05, that is Beinfest fault for signing Delgado. Delgado contract = roofless.

Well don't forget that the justification for that was that this team would be good enough for people to really come out in huge crowds to see tehm and for them to even make a playoff run. It wasn't Beinfest's fault. It was a gamble by Loria and he lost.

Payroll isn't the only expense for a team. One is also the minor league system which has grown with the top prospects and draft signing bonuses. Another is the cost of personnel which has ticked up a bit with the new raises to keep Beinfest, Hill and other targetted GM prospects within the organization. Then there's the expenditures related to planning and promoting the new stadium. And the negotiations over increased contribution to any new stadium. Oh, and those losses over the years of funding World Championship quality teams with relatively high payrolls on the scant revenues from JR/PP/D Stadium.