Marlins talk on Around The Horn

Accord

Michael Smith: Miguel Cabrera is the best 3rd baseman in baseball...

:plain

I love Miggy but even I think that's a stretch...

He has the highest OPS among 3B in MLB, and is in a terrible hitters park. So that is not a stretch, though it is arguable with about 3-4 other players (Wright, Rolen, Rogriguez, maybe Chipper)

ARod is not the best third basemen in baseball. Hes been having defensive issues there ever since the switch.

Haha. Thats funny. A guy has one off year (which is still a great year for everyone else) and all of a sudden he's not the best 3rd baseman? The guy's one of the 10 greatest players of all time, and certainly the greatest third baseman of all time. (maybe mike Schmidt is ahead of him.)

ARod is not the best third basemen in baseball. Hes been having defensive issues there ever since the switch.

Haha. Thats funny. A guy has one off year (which is still a great year for everyone else) and all of a sudden he's not the best 3rd baseman? The guy's one of the 10 greatest players of all time, and certainly the greatest third baseman of all time. (maybe mike Schmidt is ahead of him.)

He's played 2 and 1/2 seasons at third, a bit premature to call him the greatest of all time...

He's played 2 and 1/2 seasons at third, a bit premature to call him the greatest of all time...

With his total career numbers, I'd think it's safe to say he's both the greatest SS and 3B of all time.

With his total career numbers, I'd think it's safe to say he's both the greatest SS and 3B of all time.

So around 98 homers at the position (3B) to go with 35 or so errors makes him the greatest of all time at third?

Jeez you're generous.

And, while he surely has the numbers to be remembered as one of the greatest players of all time, the premature position shift has hurt him to the extent that I think he'll be remembered as Pete Rose is, simply a great hitter, but the position maneuvering makes it hard to definitively call him the "best" ever at a position.

Ernie Banks still has a great case to make that he's the greatest shortstop of all time, and at the moment, it's hard to argue against George Brett or Eddie Matthews as the greatest third basemen.

Michael Smith: Miguel Cabrera is the best 3rd baseman in baseball...

:plain

I love Miggy but even I think that's a stretch...

Totally agree. He gets past the swelled head and actually plays the position to his potential and we will see. Until then he is just a 3B that hits very well.

So around 98 homers at the position (3B) to go with 35 or so errors makes him the greatest of all time at third?

Jeez you're generous.

And, while he surely has the numbers to be remembered as one of the greatest players of all time, the premature position shift has hurt him to the extent that I think he'll be remembered as Pete Rose is, simply a great hitter, but the position maneuvering makes it hard to definitively call him the "best" ever at a position.

Ernie Banks still has a great case to make that he's the greatest shortstop of all time, and at the moment, it's hard to argue against George Brett or Eddie Matthews as the greatest third basemen.

If A-Rod was hit by a bus immediately after the Yankees acquired him he would still be the greated SS of all time. He should also be the SS of the Yankees because he is better than Jeter at the position. I can argue against Brett and Eddie Matthews with Schmidt who is much higher on the career OPS ladder.