midseason prospect lists

Fishfan79

So this guy has West and Gaby over Anibal, Petit, Thompson, and Volstad, unless they are just excluding the first two because they are 'called up.' Interesting.

We really need Chris Young in Teal.

I'm hoping that's why they're excluded because omitting Sanchez and Petit alltogether is just atrocious.

The TERRIBLE Yankees minor league system is home to the best pitching prospect in baseball and the hitting prospect with the most potential.

Terrible.

Tabata has more hitting potential than Jay Bruce, Wood, Kendrick, Upton, and Delmon Young ? I think not. Imagine that, a Yankee fan terribly overrating his team's prospects ! I do think Tabata will be good, but he is 17 years old...alot can happen between 17 and major league stardom.

The TERRIBLE Yankees minor league system is home to the best pitching prospect in baseball and the hitting prospect with the most potential.

Terrible.

Tabata has more hitting potential than Jay Bruce, Wood, Kendrick, Upton, and Delmon Young ? I think not. Imagine that, a Yankee fan terribly overrating his team's prospects ! I do think Tabata will be good, but he is 17 years old...alot can happen between 17 and major league stardom.

Tabata has more potential than everyone on that list not including Delmon Young. Yes. And a lot of people agree with me.

Terribly overrating? Look around. BA called Tabata the best position player at the Futures game. RW has Tabata as the 18th best prospect in baseball. And you just saw what Baseball Analysts said. Don't even give me that BS. I'm not overrating at all.

Tabata has WORLDS of potential, which is all I claimed. I never said he was going to be an all-star, I just mentioned his unbelievable potential.

A lot CAN happen between 17 and major league stardom, right. But that's what makes him a prospect. He is a 17 year old dominating the SAL. Take a look back, the lists aren't always right. Todd Van Poppel and Brien Taylor were #1 prospects in the early 90's. Remember Nigel Wilson? Tabata is a prospect as well and they say he has a lot of potential. Thats all it means.

A lot CAN happen between 17 and major league stardom, right. But that's what makes him a prospect. He is a 17 year old dominating the SAL. Take a look back, the lists aren't always right. Todd Van Poppel and Brien Taylor were #1 prospects in the early 90's. Remember Nigel Wilson? Tabata is a prospect as well and they say he has a lot of potential. Thats all it means.

I think its worth noting that for these reasons BA themselves tend to stick to guys in AAA and AA when putting together their top prospect lists, and rightly so. Judging overall potential is incredibly subjective and not even that meaningful, so looking at players who are performing at the levels that matter in the minors (AA in particular) makes more sense.

Jason Stokes' numbers in low A ball were some of the best that level has ever seen. Unfortunately the main numbers that followed him into AA and AAA ball were his lack of walks, abundance of strikeouts, and injury proneness. So really, any prospect who has yet to hit AA should have a giant asterisk on them, and I wouldnt put any of them in a top 50 list, no matter how much hype they have.

Hey, I never claimed the lists are always right. Believe me the Yankees have had more than their share of busts. Even think back to less than 5 years ago with Drew Henson and the DRays savior Josh Hamilton.

Where did I say he was going to be a star? I just said he had HUGE potential. Which he does. A 17 year old dominating players that are on average 3 years older than him? That's fantastic. And he has ALL of the tools to be a superstar. That's it. Never did I say he was going to be a star, just that he has all of the tools to be a great one.

I think its worth noting that for these reasons BA themselves tend to stick to guys in AAA and AA when putting together their top prospect lists, and rightly so. Judging overall potential is incredibly subjective and not even that meaningful, so looking at players who are performing at the levels that matter in the minors (AA in particular) makes more sense.

Jason Stokes' numbers in low A ball were some of the best that level has ever seen. Unfortunately the main numbers that followed him into AA and AAA ball were his lack of walks, abundance of strikeouts, and injury proneness. So really, any prospect who has yet to hit AA should have a giant asterisk on them, and I wouldnt put any of them in a top 50 list, no matter how much hype they have.

Bad K/BB ratios and bad K/AB ratios need to be heavily examined when evalutating the lower levels of the minors. You also need to heavily account for that prospects ability to hit breaking pitches, as they become more and more abundant at the higher levels of the minors.

Hey, I never claimed the lists are always right. Believe me the Yankees have had more than their share of busts. Even think back to less than 5 years ago with Drew Henson and the DRays savior Josh Hamilton.

Where did I say he was going to be a star? I just said he had HUGE potential. Which he does. A 17 year old dominating players that are on average 3 years older than him? That's fantastic. And he has ALL of the tools to be a superstar. That's it. Never did I say he was going to be a star, just that he has all of the tools to be a great one.

Bad K/BB ratios and bad K/AB ratios need to be heavily examined when evalutating the lower levels of the minors. You also need to heavily account for that prospects ability to hit breaking pitches, as they become more and more abundant at the higher levels of the minors.

Yes, absolutely. Thing is though that it still isnt an exact science every year guys will confound predictions both positive and negative, and nobody can predict injuries, body type changes, personal habits etc. So assigning tangible value to A Ball prospects will always be dodgy at best.

Now in your defense as you posted above, all you said was that Tabata had huge potential, and he is certainly doing well at this point. My point would be though that I wouldn't rank him higher on a top prospects list then any player putting up good numbers in AA or AAA, because those guys are proving their potential already, and dealing with stuff Tabata is only currently projected to succeed over.

In a year or two Tabata could well be putting up great numbers at AA, at that time he'll then be deserving of a spot at or near the top of a prospect list.

Yes, absolutely. Thing is though that it still isnt an exact science every year guys will confound predictions both positive and negative, and nobody can predict injuries, body type changes, personal habits etc. So assigning tangible value to A Ball prospects will always be dodgy at best.

Now in your defense as you posted above, all you said was that Tabata had huge potential, and he is certainly doing well at this point. My point would be though that I wouldn't rank him higher on a top prospects list then any player putting up good numbers in AA or AAA, because those guys are proving their potential already, and dealing with stuff Tabata is only currently projected to succeed over.

In a year or two Tabata could well be putting up great numbers at AA, at that time he'll then be deserving of a spot at or near the top of a prospect list.

Fair. Too often prospects miss after dominating the lower levels of the minors, only to reach AA, be faced with 12-6 curveballs and sliders and fall apart. That's why prospects like Kevin Youkilis are underrated, whereas prospects like Kelly Shoppach are overrated. The ability to hit/take breaking pitches is everything once you reach AA.

We'll see how Tabata does. He has been amazing so far.

I wonder what the Marlins prospect list will look like next year (assuming anibal/petit graduate). Im thinking something like

1. West

2. Thompson

3. Volstad

4. Sinkbeil

5. Gaby

6. J. Garcia

7. Coghlan

8. Andino

9. G. Sanchez

10. Harvey

The top 4 are probably interchangeable and a clear cut 1-4 to me. Really want to put Langley and Hickman in, but they are just so young.

I wonder what the Marlins prospect list will look like next year (assuming anibal/petit graduate). Im thinking something like

1. West

2. Thompson

3. Volstad

4. Sinkbeil

5. Gaby

6. J. Garcia

7. Coghlan

8. Andino

9. G. Sanchez

10. Harvey

The top 4 are probably interchangeable and a clear cut 1-4 to me. Really want to put Langley and Hickman in, but they are just so young.

Pretty much what I've got, and I think you can make a case for a complete rearrangement of the 1-3 guys on the list.