Best Pieces to Trade For

Here are some great prospect names that I will throw out there even though I don't think D-Train will get dealt.

TIGERS

Joel Zumaya (RP/SP)

Curtis Granderson (CF)

I would do that deal right there and make Zumaya a starter. His stuff is as good as any prospect in baseball. Granderson could be a future all star in CF.

DODGERS

Matt Kemp (LF)

Russell Martin ?

Andy LaRoche (3B)

Joel Guzman (INF.)

Chad Billingsley (SP)

If we could somehow get Joel Guzman then I would pull the trigger right now. Scouts say that Guzman is better than A-Rod and Chipper at his age. I don't think Kemp or Martin will ever be anything special- just solid starters. But LaRoche and Billingsley could be future all stars. I think Guzman is off-limits though.

D-BACKS

Carlos Gonzalez (OF)

Carlos Quentin (OF)

Chris Young (OF)

Everyone is very high on Chris Young but I like Quentin just as much because of his eye at the plate. However, Carlos Gonzalez is considered to be better than both of them in the future.

ANGELS

Jeff Mathis ?

Dallas McPherson (1b/3B)

Kendry Morales (1b)

Brandon Wood (SS)

Howie Kendrick (2B)

This system is as loaded as anyone's. I would take Mathis, Morales, and Wood but I doubt the Angels would give up that much. McPherson is over-rated to me and K's too much to be a superstar at the MLB level (reminds me of a better Russell Branyan). Morales could be a consistant .300 hitter and Wood has DEEP power. Mathis still hasn't developed like scouts thought he would.

RANGERS

Ian Kinsler (2B)

Thomas Diamond (SP)

I'm not high on anyone in the Rangers organization except for Kinsler. Don't get me wrong I love Uggla but Kinsler could be an all star year in and year out. If the Rangers gave up Kinsler and MORE then we would have to consider it.

METS

Lastings Milledge (OF)

As much as the Mets want to do a straight up deal. It's pretty simple....Dontrelle > Milledge and always will be. They will have to give up more.

DODGERS

Matt Kemp (LF)

Russell Martin ?

Andy LaRoche (3B)

Joel Guzman (INF.)

Chad Billingsley (SP)

If we could somehow get Joel Guzman then I would pull the trigger right now. Scouts say that Guzman is better than A-Rod and Chipper at his age. I don't think Kemp or Martin will ever be anything special- just solid starters. But LaRoche and Billingsley could be future all stars. I think Guzman is off-limits though.

not into elbert? Either? They have alot of others in the minors that are pretty good.

Arizona has alot of others also in their system I am surpsied your didnt list out.

as for zumaya and granderson, we turned down verlander and granderson (supposedly), isnt that a downgrade taking zumaya?

I made edits based on what teams have avaliable imo.

TIGERS

Joel Zumaya (RP/SP)

Curtis Granderson (CF) Not avaliable (N/A)

Curtis Maybin (CF)

Jordan Tata (SP)

PTBNL

Cash Considerations

Maybin should be really good, but I don't think Detroit has the firepower with what they would willing to part with. Don't really see it, but they do have the young CF in Maybin which is the key to all of this.

DODGERS

Matt Kemp (LF/CF)

Russell Martin ? N/A

[Andy LaRoche (3B) Don't need him

Joel Guzman (1B/3B/LF) N/A

Chad Billingsley (SP)

Strong third player, like Broxton

Cash

Depends on how desperate they get. To bad they don't have Navarro still. This could be one of the better packages, but it would be SP heavy and not a premier CF.

D-BACKS

Carlos Gonzalez (OF) Corner prospect

Carlos Quentin (OF) Corner Prospect

Chris Young (CF)

Miguel Montero ©

Michael Owings (SP)

We can only hope. :thumbup

ANGELS

Jeff Mathis ?

Dallas McPherson (1b/3B)

Kendry Morales (1b)

Brandon Wood (SS/3B)

Howie Kendrick (2B)

We need a CF. Any deal starts with Figgins + Arms, and then the Marlins brass would have to make sure to resign Chone.

RANGERS

Ian Kinsler (2B) Dan Uggla is god

Thomas Diamond (SP)

Don't think they have the CF we must get in any trade. Their offer would be very SP heavy, and that defeats the purpose of trading for Dontrelle.

METS

Lastings Milledge (OF)

Pelfrey (SP)

Throw Ins/Cash

I'd be very reluctant to give Dontrelle to a division rival, but they got what we need in Lastings and a top top secondary prospect. It would be interesting if they call Beinfest on the 31st offering both, plus goodies. Very interesting.

I'm adding:

MARINERS

Adam Jones (CF) They love him.

Shin-Soo Choo (CF/LF)

Jeff Clement ©

Not very familiar, but they have some decent young arms as a 3rd player

Cash

Choo is a little older, but he's good. Clement is blocked by Kenji and should be really good. If someone can comment on young Mariners minor league arms, we would need a VERY good one to open discussions for this deal. The DBacks package is probably better unless they would consider Jones.

TAMPA BAY

Carl Crawford (CF)

or

Rocco Baldelli (CF)

Jeff Niemann (SP)

PTBNL

or

Elijiah Dukes (CF)

Enough cash to finance a stadium to deal with his headache

Tampa's got some CF. They deserve mention.

REDS

Jay Bruce (CF)

Homer Bailey (SP)

Miguel Perez ©

Perez is having a rough year, he's more of a throw in type that's just one of their 8-15 range top prospects in a weak system, but those first two are studs. I don't know how desperate they are, but this could work.

ST. LOUIS

Anthony Reyes (SP)

Cory Rasmus (CF)

Bryan Anderson ©

Throw ins

This was floated on the main board today and seems unlikely, but this could work for us and is a pretty good exchange of value. I'd like Rasmus and Anderson to be a bit more progressed like the DBacks prospects, but I have faith in them.

KANSAS CITY

David DeJesus (CF/LF)

Joey Gathright (CF) Joking :)

Alex Gordon or Billy Butler (LF) Maybe avaliable for a special player like Dontrelle, but basically off limits.

They have no pitching whatsoever to trade back, but we could get two impact bats for LF/CF maybe. We would not need Willingham at all in this situation, so I could see us sending him with Dontrelle to be a DH/some 1B and LF/emergency catcher type guy, and picking up something else. Maybe their catcher Buck, or Burgos who should develop into a pretty good RP. Don't know what, just speculating and looking at every young CF out their that could potentially fill our void. I think I covered all of them (not a Felix Pie fan. screw him).

CONCLUSION

Very unlikely for Reds, Mariners, Cardinals, and Royals to part with the guys we would need, but they would have enough firepower if they want him. Mets would be tough in division, setting up only LA and Detroit as contenders desperately wanting Dontrelle and might going overboard to get him in the next 2 weeks. LA starts talking Guzman, we might have no choice if Kemp and Billingsly are involved. Diamondbacks and D-Rays would be offseason deals as those clubs figure out what to do with all their hitting prospects and crappy pitching. Just my take on it.

I would trade Willis to the following teams (rumored to be interested in Willis) for the following packages.

Mets

Lastings Milledge

Jon Niese

Mike Carp

or

Lastings Milledge

Carlos Gomez (like his tools and potential, not sure Mets will give both Milledge and him in one trade)

Jesus Flores or Nick Evans

Me thinks Milledge is not untouchable for w/e reason and the only untouchables in the system are Martinez and Guerra.

St. Cards

Anthony Reyes

Colby Rasmus

Bryan Anderson or one of the following (N. Webber, C. Lambert, M. Boggs, Ja. Garcia)

Dodgers

Matt Kemp

Chad Billinsley

Sergio Pedroza or one of the following (X. Paul, C. Dunlap, J. Orenduff)

or

Matt kemp

Blake Dewitt

Sergio Pedroza or Xavier Paul

G. Miller or B. Johnson

Dbacks

Chris Young

Carlos Gonzalez

Miguel Montero

for Willis + prospect(or instead of prospect Josh Williangham)

or

Chris Young

Miguel Montero

Chris Reynolds

Scott Hairston

for Willis

I would love to get a Pelfrey from the Mets along with Miledge, but they can't trade Pelfrey until January I believe it is. I really like Aaron Heilman(think he is underrated) as a starter and would consider a Heilman+Miledge+a prospect like a German Marte.

The White Sox offer would probably center around a Brian Anderson and Bradon McCarthy package.

I have a strong feeling that Willis is in fact going to be traded before the deadline, btw. I do believe if we get the right package back it is for the better of the team.

I agree in most of it and all, for the mariners I wouldnt even talk if they arent talking of giving us jones back. Hence it would never happen then. For the Reds there is a nice pair I think honestly. I dont see the Royals parting with them, that would be like the brewers parting with some guys.

LA has been talking of moving Guzman, his value is supposedly slipping but still.

Arizona, I think we need one of those corner outfielders as I dont see them moving ownings, nippert would go before him I think.

just my take overall I agree with you upon most of them.

The Mets are willing to include highly prized outfielder Lastings Milledge in a deal with the Marlins for Dontrelle Willis but are under the impression that it would take their top two prospects, Milledge and right-handed pitcher Mike Pelfrey, to land Willis. And one Mets exec said, "Pelfrey isn't going anywhere.''

While there's been some talk about Phillies outfielder Bobby Abreu, Mets officials are focused on pitching (Miguel Batista is another target) and are pessimistic that the Phillies would agree to pay part of the $23 million remaining on Abreu's contract through 2007 (to say nothing of the $16 million '08 option he'd want picked up). The White Sox are another team that's recently made a run at Willis, offering what one executive termed "an impressive package.'' They, too, were rebuffed.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/featu...p10s/index.html

What would the white sox offer even?

I like your edits. Can agree with most of it hypothetically. The LA papers might be floating Guzman, but I cannot see that happening. I would love to get him though. Still wouldn't want one of the Arizona corner guys unless Chris Young is in the deal. I'm not in a huge worry to "replace" willingham. LF is easy to get production from if you spend a little bit of money, or even go bargain shopping with a Matt Stairs kind of dude. I agree they'd be reluctant to move Owings and Nippert, but we'd have to get something else from them and I can't see us grabbing TWO of the outfielders along with the catcher.

Would have to be McCarthy, Jerry Owens or Brian Anderson, and probably any 2 other players in their system. I'd love to grab Cotts, but I don't think they can move him with their pen issues. I don't think I'd do this trade if my specualtion is correct. If we trade him, I want to talk to the Rays, DBacks, and Reds first, then see what else is out there. I want a premier CF for Dontrelle, not getting pitching back as the best part of the package.

I would love to get a Pelfrey from the Mets along with Miledge, but they can't trade Pelfrey until January I believe it is. I really like Aaron Heilman(think he is underrated) as a starter and would consider a Heilman+Miledge+a prospect like a German Marte.

The White Sox offer would probably center around a Brian Anderson and Bradon McCarthy package.

I have a strong feeling that Willis is in fact going to be traded before the deadline, btw. I do believe if we get the right package back it is for the better of the team.

I think Willis to the Mets makes sense especially now that they are willing to give up Milledge. I don't think that they will have to give up a Heilman or Pelfrey for a deal to work out well for both sides.

Milledge and a package of 2/3 of Niese, Gomez, Carp, Evans, Flores I believe will get a done.

Me doubts he gets traded this season though.

I think Willis to the Mets makes sense especially now that they are willing to give up Milledge. I don't think that they will have to give up a Heilman or Pelfrey for a deal to work out well for both sides.

Milledge and a package of 2/3 of Niese, Gomez, Carp, Evans, Flores I believe will get a done.

The package will be so much stronger though if we trade him right now instead of the offseason.

This is a sellers market and a top end starting pitcher will never go for higher then right now. Teams like the Mets think a Willis wins the WS for them this year. Teams like the Reds think a Willis wins the WC for them this year( and I would love the Bruce, Bailey package). This is the time to do the deal as hard as it may be, but it does make sense.

The package will be so much stronger though if we trade him right now instead of the offseason.

This is a sellers market and a top end starting pitcher will never go for higher then right now. Teams like the Mets think a Willis wins the WS for them this year. Teams like the Reds think a Willis wins the WC for them this year( and I would love the Bruce, Bailey package). This is the time to do the deal as hard as it may be, but it does make sense.

Pelfrey can be traded, as a PTBNL after 6 months time from signing. So he can be moved as that. It just would be difficult and all to do.

I'd like to get two OFs and perhaps a flamethrower for the bullpen... Put one in left, one in center... Willingham at catcher long-term....

liking Arizona or perhaps LA

does he have the arm and can he learn the defense to really be an elite catcher at 27?

well, reports out of Spring Training were that he had improved quite a bit under Gary Tuck, catching instructor extraordinaire... catchers that can hit are a commodity, and the Marlins have one- playing in left... if he were good defensively in LF, I'd say no, but he isn't exactly a Gold Glover either way.

I'd like to get two OFs and perhaps a flamethrower for the bullpen... Put one in left, one in center... Willingham at catcher long-term....

does he have the arm and can he learn the defense to really be an elite catcher at 27?

well, reports out of Spring Training were that he had improved quite a bit under Gary Tuck, catching instructor extraordinaire... catchers that can hit are a commodity, and the Marlins have one- playing in left... if he were good defensively in LF, I'd say no, but he isn't exactly a Gold Glover either way.

I wonder if the hassle, with learning to keep runners, call a game, handle a young staff, is worth the price of his trade value to another team perhaps.

I do like olivo there and some of our recent draft picks too though.

DODGERS

Matt Kemp (LF)

Russell Martin ?

Andy LaRoche (3B)

Joel Guzman (INF.)

Chad Billingsley (SP)

not into elbert? Either? They have alot of others in the minors that are pretty good.

Arizona has alot of others also in their system I am surpsied your didnt list out.

as for zumaya and granderson, we turned down verlander and granderson (supposedly), isnt that a downgrade taking zumaya?

we did? F**K. i would of done that in a heartbeat. zumaya and granderson is a VERY intriguing package also.

DODGERS

Matt Kemp (LF)

Russell Martin ?

Andy LaRoche (3B)

Joel Guzman (INF.)

Chad Billingsley (SP)

Yeah we turned down Verlander and Granderson AT THE BEGINNING of the season....the Tigers would NOT do that now.

How about Josh Fields and Brian Anderson from the White Sox ? Fields is athletic enough to play left from what I've read.

Brian Anderson is SO over-rated. Never liked him in the minors that much either....

found this on a cardinals fan website, I thought I would share

Matt,

I don't believe that Dontrelle will be traded before the deadline. Based on a Marlin's strategy that seems to be focused around hoarding talented, pre-arbitration players, particularly pitching. Admin Beinfest has done an amazing job getting prospects for high priced veterans, and Dontrelle seems to be not only the face of the Marlins, but a number one starter for many years. If the team is to get a new stadium, or to realize full worth in another city, trading any of the young stars

Dontrelle does have a warm relationship with Tony, as he has participated in ARF fundraisers

in Northern California. Contrary to opinions before the year began, I imagine that the Marlin's ownership feels much closer to winning than they did in spring training. Once they sign a stadium deal, in South Florida or in another city, I would imagine that the owner would be willing to invest heavily in free agents, as has been his pattern in the past. Theoretically, that would make the Marlins instant pennant contenders.

Warmly,

Matt Sosnick

http://www.vivaelbirdos.com/story/2006/7/2...3752#commenttop

Sorta fun reading that shatter their hopes :)