Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

MarlinsBaseball.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Let's be reastlistic...

Featured Replies

Getting to the playoffs would be a fantastic achievment, and as it is right now, this team is without a doubt one of the most remarkable teams I've ever seen. However, if we don't, people are gonna have a different view of us come next year.

The way Girardi is conserving our rookie pitchers' arms will pay dividends in September if we are still in contention.

 

These pitchers have been handling this work all season. They likely won't be prepared for longer outings in the 7th month.

The way Girardi is conserving our rookie pitchers' arms will pay dividends in September if we are still in contention.

 

These pitchers have been handling this work all season. They likely won't be prepared for longer outings in the 7th month.

 

Girardi has almost without fail set the limit for the rookie starting pitcher's limit at 7 innings per start, even pulling them when they have pitched strong games and haven't reached 100 pitches. Of our rookie SP in the rotation, Olsen has pitched 7 innings or less in all 18 out of 19 starts (129.2 IP total), Johnson 15 out of 15 starts (103.2 IP total, including IP out of the bullpen), Nolasco 10 out of 13 starts (93.2 IP total, including IP out of the bullpen) and Sanchez 5 out of 5 starts (121 IP total, including IP in AA and out of the bullpen).

 

I am not saying that the way Girardi is conserving their arms will preserve them through season's end completely. I do think the way he has been limiting their innings pitched will result in something more being left in the tank later in the season. I definitely expect some degree of drop off in performance come September. More from Olsen and Sanchez than JJ and Nolasco since the latter two started off the year in the bullpen and are on pace to only have slight increases in IP from last season.

  • Author

The only rookie I am worried about it Olsen, and MAYBE Johnson. Olsen has been pitching basically the entire year (save one start I think). Johnson didn't start until May; Nolasco even later. So ya, Olsen is the only one we should be eyeing right now to see how he handles the workload. Johnson probably won't get anywhere near 200 IP this year.

The only rookie I am worried about it Olsen, and MAYBE Johnson. Olsen has been pitching basically the entire year (save one start I think). Johnson didn't start until May; Nolasco even later. So ya, Olsen is the only one we should be eyeing right now to see how he handles the workload. Johnson probably won't get anywhere near 200 IP this year.

 

Despite last night, Nolasco is my greatest worry at the current time. As you said, he didn't start until... I think late May, possibly early June. He's had some awesome outings and some really bad ones. Hopefully last night was a big turning point for him. While I do think he has a lot of potential and while I do think every start he's doing better, he's bound to have a few bad outings here and there.

 

Hopefully he can overlook the bad outings and continue to pitch like he did last night.

  • Author

The only rookie I am worried about it Olsen, and MAYBE Johnson. Olsen has been pitching basically the entire year (save one start I think). Johnson didn't start until May; Nolasco even later. So ya, Olsen is the only one we should be eyeing right now to see how he handles the workload. Johnson probably won't get anywhere near 200 IP this year.

 

Despite last night, Nolasco is my greatest worry at the current time. As you said, he didn't start until... I think late May, possibly early July. He's had some awesome outings and some really bad ones. Hopefully last night was a big turning point for him. While I do think he has a lot of potential and while I do think every start he's doing better, he's bound to have a few bad outings here and there.

 

Hopefully he can overlook the bad outings and continue to pitch like he did last night.

:blink: :blink: :blink:

The only rookie I am worried about it Olsen, and MAYBE Johnson. Olsen has been pitching basically the entire year (save one start I think). Johnson didn't start until May; Nolasco even later. So ya, Olsen is the only one we should be eyeing right now to see how he handles the workload. Johnson probably won't get anywhere near 200 IP this year.

 

Despite last night, Nolasco is my greatest worry at the current time. As you said, he didn't start until... I think late May, possibly early July. He's had some awesome outings and some really bad ones. Hopefully last night was a big turning point for him. While I do think he has a lot of potential and while I do think every start he's doing better, he's bound to have a few bad outings here and there.

 

Hopefully he can overlook the bad outings and continue to pitch like he did last night.

:blink: :blink: :blink:

By July I meant June. :thumbup

  • Author

The only rookie I am worried about it Olsen, and MAYBE Johnson. Olsen has been pitching basically the entire year (save one start I think). Johnson didn't start until May; Nolasco even later. So ya, Olsen is the only one we should be eyeing right now to see how he handles the workload. Johnson probably won't get anywhere near 200 IP this year.

 

Despite last night, Nolasco is my greatest worry at the current time. As you said, he didn't start until... I think late May, possibly early July. He's had some awesome outings and some really bad ones. Hopefully last night was a big turning point for him. While I do think he has a lot of potential and while I do think every start he's doing better, he's bound to have a few bad outings here and there.

 

Hopefully he can overlook the bad outings and continue to pitch like he did last night.

:blink: :blink: :blink:

By July I meant June. :thumbup

That's not what I'm gawking at.

 

Nolasco on the whole has been very good this year. Last night wasn't a 'turning' point. He's been pitching great the last few games anyway. And why would Nolasco be 'bound' to have a few bad outings here and there? That's a baseless comment that you could probably stick on any of our starters.

As far as playoffs are concerned, we would shock the world again, as we

did in 03, but can our rookies keep it going in Sept. sure hope so.. they

have been fun to watch this year..get out to the games if you can...

The only rookie I am worried about it Olsen, and MAYBE Johnson. Olsen has been pitching basically the entire year (save one start I think). Johnson didn't start until May; Nolasco even later. So ya, Olsen is the only one we should be eyeing right now to see how he handles the workload. Johnson probably won't get anywhere near 200 IP this year.

 

Despite last night, Nolasco is my greatest worry at the current time. As you said, he didn't start until... I think late May, possibly early July. He's had some awesome outings and some really bad ones. Hopefully last night was a big turning point for him. While I do think he has a lot of potential and while I do think every start he's doing better, he's bound to have a few bad outings here and there.

 

Hopefully he can overlook the bad outings and continue to pitch like he did last night.

:blink: :blink: :blink:

By July I meant June. :thumbup

That's not what I'm gawking at.

 

Nolasco on the whole has been very good this year. Last night wasn't a 'turning' point. He's been pitching great the last few games anyway. And why would Nolasco be 'bound' to have a few bad outings here and there? That's a baseless comment that you could probably stick on any of our starters.

Do I think he's horrible? No. But some of his outings this year were not great. Realizing he's not going to win every game, 7 earned run games in which he goes only 4 worry me.

 

Getting to the playoffs would be a fantastic achievment, and as it is right now, this team is without a doubt one of the most remarkable teams I've ever seen. However, if we don't, people are gonna have a different view of us come next year.

 

This team wasn't expected to go to the playoffs at all. If they do go, people will respect the Marlins a lot more. If they don't, its just another year. The view will be the same.

I think we might have to worry about Anibal

 

Hes at over 120 IP already this year (85 in the minors) and well hes never pitched more than 130 innings in his short minor league career.

 

So that is who we have to focus our attention too.

 

Maybe Moehler is necessary because he will be fresh for the stretch run if one of our young guys falter.

and dont forget we'll have Mitre back too...

 

[and shut up in advance, spike]

i see olsen ending up in the bullpen come september along with sanchez they are 2 guys i wouldnt want to push to hard because they both have had arm problems in the past and have never pitched that many innings before

  • Author

The only rookie I am worried about it Olsen, and MAYBE Johnson. Olsen has been pitching basically the entire year (save one start I think). Johnson didn't start until May; Nolasco even later. So ya, Olsen is the only one we should be eyeing right now to see how he handles the workload. Johnson probably won't get anywhere near 200 IP this year.

 

Despite last night, Nolasco is my greatest worry at the current time. As you said, he didn't start until... I think late May, possibly early July. He's had some awesome outings and some really bad ones. Hopefully last night was a big turning point for him. While I do think he has a lot of potential and while I do think every start he's doing better, he's bound to have a few bad outings here and there.

 

Hopefully he can overlook the bad outings and continue to pitch like he did last night.

:blink: :blink: :blink:

By July I meant June. :thumbup

That's not what I'm gawking at.

 

Nolasco on the whole has been very good this year. Last night wasn't a 'turning' point. He's been pitching great the last few games anyway. And why would Nolasco be 'bound' to have a few bad outings here and there? That's a baseless comment that you could probably stick on any of our starters.

Do I think he's horrible? No. But some of his outings this year were not great. Realizing he's not going to win every game, 7 earned run games in which he goes only 4 worry me.

 

 

So you just described 90 percent of starting pitchers.

The way Girardi is conserving our rookie pitchers' arms will pay dividends in September if we are still in contention.

 

These pitchers have been handling this work all season. They likely won't be prepared for longer outings in the 7th month.

 

Girardi has almost without fail set the limit for the rookie starting pitcher's limit at 7 innings per start, even pulling them when they have pitched strong games and haven't reached 100 pitches. Of our rookie SP in the rotation, Olsen has pitched 7 innings or less in all 18 out of 19 starts (129.2 IP total), Johnson 15 out of 15 starts (103.2 IP total, including IP out of the bullpen), Nolasco 10 out of 13 starts (93.2 IP total, including IP out of the bullpen) and Sanchez 5 out of 5 starts (121 IP total, including IP in AA and out of the bullpen).

 

I am not saying that the way Girardi is conserving their arms will preserve them through season's end completely. I do think the way he has been limiting their innings pitched will result in something more being left in the tank later in the season. I definitely expect some degree of drop off in performance come September. More from Olsen and Sanchez than JJ and Nolasco since the latter two started off the year in the bullpen and are on pace to only have slight increases in IP from last season.

Yet still most of these pitchers haven't pitched loads like the first half at any time before. We should be grateful if they can finish the season. Asking for anything more is doubtful and potentially dangerous.

  • Author

The way Girardi is conserving our rookie pitchers' arms will pay dividends in September if we are still in contention.

 

These pitchers have been handling this work all season. They likely won't be prepared for longer outings in the 7th month.

 

Girardi has almost without fail set the limit for the rookie starting pitcher's limit at 7 innings per start, even pulling them when they have pitched strong games and haven't reached 100 pitches. Of our rookie SP in the rotation, Olsen has pitched 7 innings or less in all 18 out of 19 starts (129.2 IP total), Johnson 15 out of 15 starts (103.2 IP total, including IP out of the bullpen), Nolasco 10 out of 13 starts (93.2 IP total, including IP out of the bullpen) and Sanchez 5 out of 5 starts (121 IP total, including IP in AA and out of the bullpen).

 

I am not saying that the way Girardi is conserving their arms will preserve them through season's end completely. I do think the way he has been limiting their innings pitched will result in something more being left in the tank later in the season. I definitely expect some degree of drop off in performance come September. More from Olsen and Sanchez than JJ and Nolasco since the latter two started off the year in the bullpen and are on pace to only have slight increases in IP from last season.

Yet still most of these pitchers haven't pitched loads like the first half at any time before. We should be grateful if they can finish the season. Asking for anything more is doubtful and potentially dangerous.

I honestly cannot recall a post you made that wasn't pessimistic or skeptical. You really need to get yourself a woman.

The way Girardi is conserving our rookie pitchers' arms will pay dividends in September if we are still in contention.

 

These pitchers have been handling this work all season. They likely won't be prepared for longer outings in the 7th month.

 

Girardi has almost without fail set the limit for the rookie starting pitcher's limit at 7 innings per start, even pulling them when they have pitched strong games and haven't reached 100 pitches. Of our rookie SP in the rotation, Olsen has pitched 7 innings or less in all 18 out of 19 starts (129.2 IP total), Johnson 15 out of 15 starts (103.2 IP total, including IP out of the bullpen), Nolasco 10 out of 13 starts (93.2 IP total, including IP out of the bullpen) and Sanchez 5 out of 5 starts (121 IP total, including IP in AA and out of the bullpen).

 

I am not saying that the way Girardi is conserving their arms will preserve them through season's end completely. I do think the way he has been limiting their innings pitched will result in something more being left in the tank later in the season. I definitely expect some degree of drop off in performance come September. More from Olsen and Sanchez than JJ and Nolasco since the latter two started off the year in the bullpen and are on pace to only have slight increases in IP from last season.

Yet still most of these pitchers haven't pitched loads like the first half at any time before. We should be grateful if they can finish the season. Asking for anything more is doubtful and potentially dangerous.

 

If by "most" you mean Olsen and Sanchez I might agree with you. It could be dangerous with their injury history and workload last season (but I'm sure Girardi won't overwork them when it comes down to it). There will probably still be Moehler and Mitre in the wings to pick up some slack, plus they could call up Petit again (or Pinto for that matter) if they are still around.

 

If you are talking about JJ and Nolasco as well, I'd ask you to post evidence. According to my calculations, they are on pace to only slightly pitch more than they did last season (if not less in Nolasco's case). Nolasco has 161.2 IP in 27 GS on the West Tenn Diamond Jaxx last season. JJ had 139.2 IP in 26 GS on Carolina last season plus 12.1 IP (including his first GS) after his late season callup last season.

If the Marlins get Carl Crawford, then I believe they can compete with anyone in the National League

If by "most" you mean Olsen and Sanchez I might agree with you. It could be dangerous with their injury history and workload last season (but I'm sure Girardi won't overwork them when it comes down to it). There will probably still be Moehler and Mitre in the wings to pick up some slack, plus they could call up Petit again (or Pinto for that matter) if they are still around.

 

If you are talking about JJ and Nolasco as well, I'd ask you to post evidence. According to my calculations, they are on pace to only slightly pitch more than they did last season (if not less in Nolasco's case). Nolasco has 161.2 IP in 27 GS on the West Tenn Diamond Jaxx last season. JJ had 139.2 IP in 26 GS on Carolina last season plus 12.1 IP (including his first GS) after his late season callup last season.

 

Johnson is 48, Olsen 26, Sanchez 14 innings away from their career highs (accumulated against minor league talent). With 61 games left, only Nolasco (75) should not surpass that by a great margin.

 

 

I honestly cannot recall a post you made that wasn't pessimistic or skeptical. You really need to get yourself a woman.

 

Um... I was like one of like three who predicted us to reach .500 while you and everyone else were crying about the trades.

  • Author

If by "most" you mean Olsen and Sanchez I might agree with you. It could be dangerous with their injury history and workload last season (but I'm sure Girardi won't overwork them when it comes down to it). There will probably still be Moehler and Mitre in the wings to pick up some slack, plus they could call up Petit again (or Pinto for that matter) if they are still around.

 

If you are talking about JJ and Nolasco as well, I'd ask you to post evidence. According to my calculations, they are on pace to only slightly pitch more than they did last season (if not less in Nolasco's case). Nolasco has 161.2 IP in 27 GS on the West Tenn Diamond Jaxx last season. JJ had 139.2 IP in 26 GS on Carolina last season plus 12.1 IP (including his first GS) after his late season callup last season.

 

Johnson is 48, Olsen 26, Sanchez 14 innings away from their career highs (accumulated against minor league talent). With 61 games left, only Nolasco (75) should not surpass that by a great margin.

 

 

I honestly cannot recall a post you made that wasn't pessimistic or skeptical. You really need to get yourself a woman.

 

Um... I was like one of like three who predicted us to reach .500 while you and everyone else were crying about the trades.

Dude you are so effing pessimistic it's not even funny. In almost every thread you are the voice of doubt. How you don't see this is bizarre.

If by "most" you mean Olsen and Sanchez I might agree with you. It could be dangerous with their injury history and workload last season (but I'm sure Girardi won't overwork them when it comes down to it). There will probably still be Moehler and Mitre in the wings to pick up some slack, plus they could call up Petit again (or Pinto for that matter) if they are still around.

 

If you are talking about JJ and Nolasco as well, I'd ask you to post evidence. According to my calculations, they are on pace to only slightly pitch more than they did last season (if not less in Nolasco's case). Nolasco has 161.2 IP in 27 GS on the West Tenn Diamond Jaxx last season. JJ had 139.2 IP in 26 GS on Carolina last season plus 12.1 IP (including his first GS) after his late season callup last season.

 

Johnson is 48, Olsen 26, Sanchez 14 innings away from their career highs (accumulated against minor league talent). With 61 games left, only Nolasco (75) should not surpass that by a great margin.

 

If Johnson keeps having 6 inning outings on average (the actual average is something like 6.13 IP per start or 6 and a third of a third IP) from now until the end of the season it will be mid-September before he even reaches the amount of IP he had last season. I wouldn't call the 175 IP he would accumulate in the 12 probable starts (this could turn out to be less depending on whether we go to a 6 man rotation) he has left this season a "great margin" over the 152 IP he had last season.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.