Car Advice

rorod

If you guys had 20,000-22,000 bucks what car would you buy? Used or New. I would love to get a 2004 Acura TL but they are 30,000 bucks, but i found a used one for $21,000 with 22,000 miles on it, which isn't to bad.

Here is the big question should I get a used car because what if I get stuck with a "lemon"?

Well my parents bought me an 06 Honda Element for my 18th B-Day a couple of months ago,in April 16,2006.

That was the car i wanted because it's very versatile,and since i'm a teen i like to do alot of stuff like going to the beach,and getting in the car wet and just open the windows and sunroof.The Honda Element is more or less Water-Proof inside,which is really cool.I also like driving it through mud puddles,that's fun..so it's kind of an Action Sports car.

The car cost my parents around 20,500 because it is 4WD and has a sunroof.I wanted a sunroof and the only way to get the sunroof is by getting the car 4WD so i told my parents to get it like that for me.

The car is definetly lots of fun.

Before i decided to get my Element,i went to Volkswagen to get a Passat or Jetta.I drove the Jetta,but fell in love with the Passat.I then called my Mothers cousin who knows alot about cars and he told me i was better off getting the Element because it won't have as many problems as either of the Volkswagens' would have.Another reason why i didn't get either of the Volkswagens' was because the day after i drove it i got a horrible fever for about 3-5 days,and i was hella sick which kind of in a way sent me a sign that i shouldn't get the car.

So yup,i'm in my 4th month with the Element and so far so good

:)

i'd buy a used cheap car and either invest the difference or use it as part of a down payment for real estate

I think big money cars are a waste - not only do they not grow in value, they have a hard time holding any value

get a cheap, reliable, used car (low mileage) - which can be done for around $8k (if not less) - now you have transportation for say the next 5 years - take the extra $12k, even with a conservative money growth, over a 5 year period you should be able to make an additional $4k on it

so for $20,000 you could get a reliable car that after 5 years of ownership will leave $16k in your account - or you can go a little more flashy and after 5 years have nothing but the car in your account - not to mention you'll also pay more for insurance/registration on the more expensive car

If you know anybody that is in the used car business, talk to them. This person should be a close friend and someone you trust. I am lucky to have worked with several great guys at a used car lot, and they hooked me up with a '96 Buick, I have put 30,000+ miles on it in 2 years and have had no mechanical problems with it. I got it for $2500.

How old are you rorod? The way I see it, buying a new car is never, ever, ever worth the kind of debt and payments you'll be stuck with for 10+ years.

i'm with dodge on this one - many variables - but if you are able to get a good deal, there are so many other worthwhile things to spend money on

i'm having a new house built and am able to make a pretty big step up from the house I own right now - mainly because my wifes car payment drops off - it's about $350 a month - so many better things you can do with that each month

I'm 17. Now that you say it my next door neighbor is a used car dealer. I should probably go see what he's got. But ya, Dodge, Do used car dealers know the whole car history, I mean isn't it possible that the previous owner just lied about its problems. I mean $20,000 is the max, but I'm not looking for a short term car. If I'm gonna get one I'm hoping to keep it for 10 years thats why I'm thinking a new one. Oh and my parents want it to be safe, and economical on gas, and all that....I'm really in no rush. Most kids are like I want a car but I'm like meh what for, so my dad and mom can send me on errands all day....hell no. But its to the point where they are like ok lets get a car....so I'm finally getting into it.

If you know anybody that is in the used car business, talk to them. This person should be a close friend and someone you trust. I am lucky to have worked with several great guys at a used car lot, and they hooked me up with a '96 Buick, I have put 30,000+ miles on it in 2 years and have had no mechanical problems with it. I got it for $2500.

How old are you rorod? The way I see it, buying a new car is never, ever, ever worth the kind of debt and payments you'll be stuck with for 10+ years.

Who the hell takes 10 years to pay for a car?

How long have you been neighbors? If you're pretty friendly with him, you should to his place, and say hey bud, I'm looking to buy a good car that is going to last me awhile.

If you're young, I promise promise promise you that it's not worth spending every last dollar you have just to get something flashy (especially since it's your first car!)

There are so many variables. What if you crash it? Suppose somebody crashes into you? Guess what, there goes all your resale value.

Are you planning on going to college?

I got a used car because it was cheap and solid. It's big and safe and reasonable on gas (I have a Buick as I said before). I'm in college and this is my "college car" - I'm saving money by driving it because it didn't cost much. I will drive it into the ground. When I get out of college I'll get another used car and I probably will not burden myself with a new car until I'm well into my 30s.

It can happen, especially with a bad deal (low monthly payments but deceiving interest rates) - but you're right, if you get an average deal on a new car it shouldn't take much longer than 5 years.

It can happen, especially with a bad deal (low monthly payments but deceiving interest rates) - but you're right, if you get an average deal on a new car it shouldn't take much longer than 5 years.

anyone that takes more than 5 years to pay for a car is missing common sense.

And if I'm a car dealer, that's just the kind of person I'm looking for.

I spent that much on my accord and I love it.

It gives no problems and honda is great

Yeah and aren't you well into your twenties with a steady job?

As far as I know this kid has no idea what's ahead for him and I hate to see people (especially at his age) do something unwise with their money.

And if I'm a car dealer, that's just the kind of person I'm looking for.

I spent that much on my accord and I love it.

It gives no problems and honda is great

Yeah and aren't you well into your twenties with a steady job?

As far as I know this kid has no idea what's ahead for him and I hate to see people (especially at his age) do something unwise with their money.

That is true, I dont know his exact age. He should make sure he can afford and be careful of not over spending.

Use it to put a down payment on a Ferrari

My dad's friend has 2 Lamborghini Murcielagos',and he told us that you have to pay for them cash.I assume it's the same with the Ferrari.

I leased mine.

:mischief2

idk what to tell you,idk much about cars.But that's what he told me about his.

I thought my dad said something that you couldn't lease them because they're too expensive to lease and they don't lose much value if any at all.Not sure about that either though.

Ya bro, I'm going to talk to my next door neighbor, but I'm afraid that even though he may have good intentions I could still get stuck with a car that always gives me problems and then its a bottomless money pit. If I get a new car at least I know that its new. I'm not reckless, sure accidents can still happen but I'm not going to put myself in high risk situations...I'm looking to keep this car for a 8-10 years.

On a side note I was looking on the web, and I found a used car, but it says it has 6 reports to go with it...I'm assuming they say problems associated with the car but IDK because it won't let me read them unless I pay....So so you guys think 6 reports are bad, because I saw a nother one with 25 reports....idk??? :banghead

Ya bro, I'm going to talk to my next door neighbor, but I'm afraid that even though he may have good intentions I could still get stuck with a car that always gives me problems and then its a bottomless money pit. If I get a new car at least I know that its new. I'm not reckless, sure accidents can still happen but I'm not going to put myself in high risk situations...I'm looking to keep this car for a 8-10 years.

On a side note I was looking on the web, and I found a used car, but it says it has 6 reports to go with it...I'm assuming they say problems associated with the car but IDK because it won't let me read them unless I pay....So so you guys think 6 reports are bad, because I saw a nother one with 25 reports....idk??? :banghead

Reports could be anything from an accident to bodywork. My car has quite a few reports on it and it's still a helluva car. It has been in an accident but that doesn't really bother me. It could very well last me 8-10 years. Any car should last that long if you take care of it. Change the oil and air filters when you should and if notice anything unusual (a vibration or a noise) have someone look at it.

You don't need to be reckless to get in an accident. Getting t-boned at a stop light or rear ending somebody can happen in an instant if you're doing something distracting, even as simple as listening to the music.

I really and truly believe that a late 90's used Honda Civic or Accord are the way to go if you're looking at used cars.

BTW, I don't know if I asked but are you going to go to college after high school?