Should Penny have given #31 to Maddux?

Mauer7

No.

Penny's LA's guy, he signed the big money extension, he started the All-Star game and he's guaranteed (contractually) to be there beyond this year, while Maddux isn't.

Plus, Penny went through a lot of begging to get #31 since that used to belong to Piazza and the Dodgers weren't keen on reissuing it.

Who cares?

It's a damn number.

I take it you've never been on an athletic team before.

Not true.

I would like to have a certain number, but I wouldn't ask somebody else for it if they had it. Brad Penny isn't a rookie, in fact he is an all-star. Penny should do whatever he wants with the number. So I guess I answer no.

Who cares?

It's a damn number.

Just a Damn Number.......wow..... dude you dont know how important it is to have your number.....

I've worn #33 since i was a kid and when i got to H.S. a junior had it..... i had to give him $100 to get my DAMN number.... As for Penny giving his number to Maddux, it would have been a classy move to offer it to him but Penny is not a rookie, he's been around and is now a all-star pitcher so if he told him am gonna keep it i see nothing wrong with that....

No.

Penny's LA's guy, he signed the big money extension, he started the All-Star game and he's guaranteed (contractually) to be there beyond this year, while Maddux isn't.

Well, let Maddux use that number for the next two months and then Penny can have it back next year

Who cares?

It's a damn number.

I take it you've never been on an athletic team before.

Not true.

I would like to have a certain number, but I wouldn't ask somebody else for it if they had it. Brad Penny isn't a rookie, in fact he is an all-star. Penny should do whatever he wants with the number. So I guess I answer no.

Still, Maddux is one of the greatest pitchers ever...it's always appropriate to give up your number to a bigger name if asked